What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » block viruses

block viruses
Author: Message:
Fox186

O.P. block viruses
hey guys and gals..this is my first post and i only made the account cuz i had an idea on how to improve the auto accept feature..a few days ago a friend of mine infected with the W32 worm sent me the virus and since she is a trusted source i had my msgplus to auto accept anything from her..what im wondering is, if there is anyway you can make msg plus not accept certain files (for example .pif files) or any other known viruses. and maybe if thats not possible patchu can try and design something like that for the future upgrades.

p.s yes i know having a good antivirus will just get rid of it and i do have a good one, but i just want to prevent ever accepting any types of that without having to turn off completely autoaccepting other files from my contacts

This post was edited on 03-08-2005 at 04:42 PM by Fox186.
03-08-2005 04:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
King For A Day

Vince Noir: King Of the Mods

35 / Male / –
RE: block viruses
hmm i think as long as u dont open it that file does nothing, but realy i wouldnt use auto accept if it worries you its not that hard to just click it
[Image: smaller6mh.png]
03-08-2005 05:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Fox186
hey guys and gals..this is my first post and i only made the account cuz i had an idea on how to improve the auto accept feature..a few days ago a friend of mine infected with the W32 worm sent me the virus and since she is a trusted source i had my msgplus to auto accept anything from her..what im wondering is, if there is anyway you can make msg plus not accept certain files (for example .pif files) or any other known viruses. and maybe if thats not possible patchu can try and design something like that for the future upgrades.

p.s yes i know having a good antivirus will just get rid of it and i do have a good one, but i just want to prevent ever accepting any types of that without having to turn off completely autoaccepting other files from my contacts
When my plugin is done it will actually have an autoscan (based on file extension) after you recieve a file. In there will be the option to autodelete certain files with certain extensions. Unfortunatly I have no ETA on the plugin since this is the second time V2 is being recoded from the ground up.
03-08-2005 05:42 PM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
Its a good idea and i think somebody is alread working on a plug-in for a .pif blocker (can anybody clarify?)

Edit: ^^ yea what matty said:P

This post was edited on 03-08-2005 at 05:42 PM by haydos.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

03-08-2005 05:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Fox186

O.P. RE: block viruses
oh cool, cant wait to use something like that, good luck with it :)
03-08-2005 06:46 PM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
doesnt msn have autoscan on already..i dont know..my virus protection scans the files immediately when they arrive..
You're still breathing? Why?
Get off the cross, the wood is needed.
[Image: userbar.jpg]

03-08-2005 07:48 PM
dreaded

Yeah msn  messenger has that option to scan files. Its under the file transfer option. And most antivirus  products do that now. I know mcafee, norton, and trend does. Blocking certain types of files as a plugin, is a good idea though.
03-08-2005 08:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Fox186

O.P. RE: block viruses
yes i know that msn has the option to autoscan the files when they arrive and i do have my norton corp AV to scan the files, which is how i found out about the virus since i wasnt even at the comp when it was sent to me..but why want to get rid of something you would rather not download at all..
03-09-2005 01:27 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: