What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » lvback.gif help..

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
lvback.gif help..
Author: Message:
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
O.P. lvback.gif help..
Is there a way to set lvback.gif as the msn background for one windows log-in and leave the other blank(or another image)?

For example, i have a background in my msn but if i sign out of msn and log out of my name and my sister logs onto hers, her msn will also have the same background
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

03-08-2005 05:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: lvback.gif help..
No, there is no way I'm afraid, except if you make two folders, and have one of them as an icon on her desktop for her msn messenger, and in there have the seperate lvback.gif to yours? If you know what I mean...

This is how people have msn 6.2 and msn 7.0 versions on their pc simultaneously.

More In depth explanation

On the administrators account, go to C:/Program Files in there, copy and paste the msn messenger folder, and rename the folder that you pasted something like "Sister's MSN" or something.

Now, put the lvback.gif that you want in your folder, and the one that you want your sister to have in hers... Now, go onto your sisters account (somehow :p)... and put a shortcut to her msn on the desktop, and tell her thats the one that she has to use or something... Not sure if you can set privacy things for programs :s.

This post was edited on 03-08-2005 at 05:48 PM by user27089.
03-08-2005 05:44 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Blah you should know better, this should be in MSN/Windows Messenger not Plus!. Now as for you question no. Since the MSN Messenger folder is a common folder between all users it cannot be done. Now a plugin on the other hand could simply just rename the background image so its not able to be used on other accounds.
03-08-2005 05:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: lvback.gif help..
:S soz bout the wrong thread.... wasnt concentrating. Yeah i will try to set something up so her log-in cant access the .gif
thanks guys
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

03-08-2005 05:51 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: lvback.gif help..
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

On the administrators account, go to C:/Program Files in there, copy and paste the msn messenger folder, and rename the folder that you pasted something like "Sister's MSN" or something.

Now, put the lvback.gif that you want in your folder, and the one that you want your sister to have in hers... Now, go onto your sisters account (somehow :p)... and put a shortcut to her msn on the desktop, and tell her thats the one that she has to use or something... Not sure if you can set privacy things for programs :s.

I'm trying to do this. I have done exactly this, I copied the MSN Messenger folder and named it 'MSN Messenger (Sisters)'. I open up the msnmsgr.exe from C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger (Sisters)\ with the blank lvback.gif in that folder, yet it still loads the lvback.gif from \MSN Messenger\ ?? :S

I can't work it out, I'll keep trying.

P.S. Sorry to bring up an old thread. :P
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
09-09-2006 03:05 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: lvback.gif help..
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I'm trying to do this. I have done exactly this, I copied the MSN Messenger folder and named it 'MSN Messenger (Sisters)'. I open up the msnmsgr.exe from C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger (Sisters)\ with the blank lvback.gif in that folder, yet it still loads the lvback.gif from \MSN Messenger\ ?? :S

I can't work it out, I'll keep trying.

P.S. Sorry to bring up an old thread. :P

Because what traxor explained/suggested is not how it works regarding the lvback.gif file...

Messenger will always look at the registry to first see where Messenger is installed.

If it has found its install directory it will load the lvback.gif file from there. So you can move around the whole directory as many times and to wherever you want, it will always load lvback from the directory set in the registry.

2 things you can do:

1) (I wouldn't recommend this emthod since many more things depend on it) When a user signs in, change the directory in the registry to the user specific lvback.gif and close and reopen the contactlist.

When the user signs out, change that registry value back to what it was.

2) (preferred method) When a user signs in, replace the lvback.gif with the user-specific image and close and reopen the contactlist.

When the user signs out, change the lvback.gif file back to what it was

------

You do not need to copy or make a second Messenger directory in order to make this working.

Take a look at the Background Changer script (which needs some updating though - /me adds to todo list), the code in there is almost everything you need.

This post was edited on 09-09-2006 at 04:10 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-09-2006 04:05 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
:blah!: Too much fiddling.
It doesn't matter I guess.

Already using Background Changer btw.

Thanks Cookie (Y)
09-09-2006 05:24 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
I haven't tested, but couldn't you make a shortcut in your C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\ folder pointing to %HOMEPATH%\lvback.gif so it loads a different background for each contact windows account?

This post was edited on 09-09-2006 at 09:48 AM by Jesus.
09-09-2006 09:45 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: lvback.gif help..
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
I haven't tested, but couldn't you make a shortcut in your C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\ folder pointing to %HOMEPATH%\lvback.gif so it loads a different background for each contact windows account?

Do I call the shortcut lvback.gif ?

I tried making a new shortcut (Right click > New Shortcut) to %HOMEPATH%\My Documents\My Pictures\lvback.gif but it says %HOMEPATH% cannot be found?
09-09-2006 10:38 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
here you can read more about environment variables.
Strange thing is, my %HOMEPATH% variable doesn't show up in My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Environment Variables dialog, but it can be found from a command prompt...

edit:
just tested it and it doesn't work. I guess it is because the crappy way m$ handles shortcuts. All shortcuts in windows have a .lnk extension which does not show in explorer... if you get the file list in a command prompt by using dir, you can see the real name is lvback.gif.lnk
microSUCKS:P

This post was edited on 09-10-2006 at 11:31 AM by Jesus.
09-10-2006 10:39 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: