What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN v Proxy - change in V7

MSN v Proxy - change in V7
Author: Message:
njonesn

O.P. Huh?  MSN v Proxy - change in V7
Hi,
Hoping someone can help or maybe this is something that can be added to a new release of Plus or a reg patch?

Background.
I use my work laptop at work and at home.
At work we use a proxy so have to enter this proxy address in the Internet Settings in IE to access the internet.
I also have to use this proxy with MSN Mess to give it internet access at work.
At home I do not need a proxy to access the internet so I have to remove it from my Internet Settings to get connected to my DSL line (Wireless Router).

Problem.
With previous versions of MSN Mess; when I was at home all I needed to do was change my IE settings so that no proxy was used and MSN Mess would then connect and I did not need to change MSN Mess proxy settings. I seems that MSN Mess would check the Systems settings (IE) to see if it can connect and then its own proxy settings (or vice versa).
With MSN 7 it seems that I HAVE to change its proxy settings to get a connection even if my system has internet connection and I can browse the internet in MSN.

I am finding this to be quite annoying.
Anyone know of a fix etc....? Could this feature of the old version be added to a Messenger Plus release?

Cheers all.
Nathan
03-09-2005 08:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
RE: MSN v Proxy - change in V7
It looks like you cannot connect to MSN Servers, check for UPnP to be enabled on your router, as far as I know, when connecting directly to server has failed, It uses some special HTTP connection, so when it uses the HTTP connection, it'll use IE configration, mean, the problem is in the router.
03-10-2005 03:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
njonesn

O.P. RE: MSN v Proxy - change in V7
Thanks for the reply, but I dont see how it can be the router. When I remove the HTTP entry in MSN Mess proxy settings it connects with no problems, but when I leave the proxy address of my work proxy it does not work. If I click test TCP connection is says I can connect, but it seems to try and use the HTTP Proxy connection and does not try IEs settings. I will look at my router but I dont think this is the problem.
Any more ideas? Can anyone else test for me?
Simple to test...just put any address in the HTTP proxy (i.e. 10.10.10.1o port 3128) and then try to connect. I would be interested to see if anyone else has this problem.

Cheers
03-10-2005 07:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: