What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » "Come-back messages" while "Appear Offline"

"Come-back messages" while "Appear Offline"
Author: Message:
Shaggie

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  "Come-back messages" while "Appear Offline"
According to the Change log, "Come-back messages are not tried to be sent when your status is Appear Offline", however my problem is that I have Plus! change my status to "Appear Offline" after 120 minutes of inactivity.  As I understand it, this means that the "Come-back message" will not be sent after that time.

Is there any way we can override this?  For myself I would prefer if it sent the come-back message anyway.

If this is not currently possible, I would greatly appreciate it if this ability was added to the next minor release, even if it needed to be enabled by a registry setting. If messenger needs to not be in "Appear offline" mode to send the message, then It could switch to online long enough to send the message, and then go back to "Appear offline" mode.

If I am misunderstanding this, please let me know.

Anyway, I AM VERY EXCITED about the new messenger release.  I am currently trying it.  I feel like a little kid with a new toy. Woohoo!!!!!!!!

Shaggie

This post was edited on 03-17-2005 at 05:16 PM by Shaggie.
03-17-2005 05:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: "Come-back messages" while "Appear Offline"
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggie
According to the Change log, "Come-back messages are not tried to be sent when your status is Appear Offline", however my problem is that I have Plus! change my status to "Appear Offline" after 120 minutes of inactivity.  As I understand it, this means that the "Come-back message" will not be sent after that time.

Is there any way we can override this?  For myself I would prefer if it sent the come-back message anyway.
No, and this has not much to do with a Messenger Plus! limitation. MSN Messenger can not send a message when you are offline, it's simply as that.

quote:
If this is not currently possible, I would greatly appreciate it if this ability was added to the next minor release, even if it needed to be enabled by a registry setting.
impossible because the above reason ;)

quote:
If messenger needs to not be in "Appear offline" mode to send the message, then It could switch to online long enough to send the message, and then go back to "Appear offline" mode.
That would be possible, however not very usefull and many problems can occur.

eg: Your status is switched to "online", Plus! sends the message, your status is switched back... by this time, another contactperson sends his comeback message to you because you came online. But because of the lag, which is always there, the chances that this comeback message recieves you is slim. Resulting in the loss of the comeback message of that other contact to you...

And there are other syncronizations problems too.

Maybe this could all be fixed though, but it would be much work for something like this.

The remedy: simply don't set your status to "appear offline" but to something else like "Away". Or send the person an email or something if you realy need to contact him/her... Messenger Plus! isn't an offline talker ;)

This post was edited on 03-17-2005 at 06:45 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-17-2005 06:44 PM
Shaggie

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: "Come-back messages" while "Appear Offline"
I would have thought that the time frame involved in sending the message would be too short so therefore no-one else would get the notification that I went online.
However I would not mind if it set my status to away for say 2 minutes if it was required.  The autologging would log other peoples come-back msg.  The only thing I would need is a notification from the event log that I automatically went online (away) to send a come-back msg.

Heck it could even leave my status as away after sending a come-back msg.

Shaggie

This post was edited on 03-18-2005 at 03:08 PM by Shaggie.
03-17-2005 07:49 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: