What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » ogg to mp3 convertor??

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
ogg to mp3 convertor??
Author: Message:
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: ogg to mp3 convertor??
quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
Hey that switch audio looks pretty darn simple to work :P
Yeah, i stumbled upon it yesterday when i got WavePad (i used that before but recently lost it cus of reinstalling windows). I wanted a recorder that can do longer recordings than the built in one in Windows and on installing that it gave options to install more of their software :)

WavePad is easy to use so my guess is so is Switch, looks easy enough anyways :D

This post was edited on 03-18-2005 at 11:40 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-18-2005 11:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

RE: ogg to mp3 convertor??
quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
anyone know of a free ogg to mp3 converter?

Don't tell me to go search google becasue i did and all it displays are pay for convertors or dodgy links :(

so does anyone know of a free ogg to mp3 convertor, or know where i can obtain one?

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#transcode

Can I convert my MP3 collection to the Ogg Vorbis format?

You can convert any audio format to Ogg Vorbis. However, converting from one lossy format, like MP3, to another lossy format, like Vorbis, is generally a bad idea. Both MP3 and Vorbis encoders achieve high compression ratios by throwing away parts of the audio waveform that you probably won't hear. However, the MP3 and Vorbis codecs are very different, so they each will throw away different parts of the audio, although there certainly is some overlap. Converting a MP3 to Vorbis involves decoding the MP3 file back to an uncompressed format, like WAV, and recompressing it using the Ogg Vorbis encoder. The decoded MP3 will be missing the parts of the original audio that the MP3 encoder chose to discard. The Ogg Vorbis encoder will then discard other audio components when it compresses the data. At best, the result will be an Ogg file that sounds the same as your original MP3, but it is most likely that the resulting file will sound worse than your original MP3. In no case will you get a file that sounds better than the original MP3.

Since many music players can play both MP3 and Ogg files, there is no reason that you should have to switch all of your files to one format or the other. If you like Ogg Vorbis, then we would encourage you to use it when you encode from original, lossless audio sources (like CDs). When encoding from originals, you will find that you can make Ogg files that are smaller or of better quality (or both) than your MP3s.

(If you must absolutely must convert from MP3 to Ogg, there are several conversion scripts available on Freshmeat.)

Though this is MP3 -> Ogg Vorbis, the same goes when converting the other way, of course.

This post was edited on 03-18-2005 at 06:36 PM by user2319.
03-18-2005 06:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: ogg to mp3 convertor??
....i wanted my GWAR oggs to be MP3's they are now end of story :D
03-18-2005 07:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »