What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Do people need to have Messenger Plus?

Do people need to have Messenger Plus?
Author: Message:
snakes3x

O.P. Do people need to have Messenger Plus?
I'm just wondering if other users can hear my custom emotion sounds if they don't have Messenger Plus installed? I thought it would be possible, since this feature is very much like the Winks feature in MSN 7. I heard you can send your own custom winks, so others can hear them and I thought the sound feature is like a Wink and people wouldn't need Messenger Plus for it.

Sorry if I've confused you, I hope you understand what i mean.

This post was edited on 03-19-2005 at 08:49 PM by snakes3x.
03-19-2005 08:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Do people need to have Messenger Plus?
quote:
Originally posted by snakes3x
I'm just wondering if other users can hear my custom emotion sounds if they don't have Messenger Plus installed?
nope

quote:
Originally posted by snakes3x
I thought it would be possible, since this feature is very much like the Winks feature in MSN 7. I heard you can send your own custom winks, so others can hear them and I thought the sound feature is like a Wink and people wouldn't need Messenger Plus for it.
yes, but for winks your contacts need MSN Messenger 7 too... Sending a wink from MSN Messenger 7 to MSN Messenger 6 will not work either.

So this is very similar, for both things the other contact need the program too...

Actually a bit logic if you think about it though, because an old Messenger Plus! (or a MSN Messenger without a new Messenger Plus!) will not know how to handle these sounds.

;)

This post was edited on 03-19-2005 at 09:01 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-19-2005 08:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Do people need to have Messenger Plus?
Winks are flash animations (.swf), not sounds. Messenger doesn't have the libraries required to play the MP3s that Messenger Plus! downloads. Besides, winks are sent peer to peer IIRC, but Plus sounds are downloaded from plus' server, which Messenger obviously doesn't know how to do.
03-19-2005 10:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: