What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Automatically block specific transfer requests (suggestion)

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Automatically block specific transfer requests (suggestion)
Author: Message:
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. Happy  Automatically block specific transfer requests (suggestion)
Hiya, i have a small suggestion for a plugin or maybe for the next messenger plus update.

As you may all know, Bropia, Serflog and other MSN viruses are rampant over the networks on MSN Messenger. A lot of contacts on my lists just accept anything they get, fools. And at least 5 -10 times a day they are constantly sending me viruses under their numerous aliases (e.g. Crazy frog gets killed.pif, Mona lisa wants her smile back.pif)

A great idea would be to have something to block these transfer requests in advance so that not only would people accept them thinking it was harmless content, but to stop these numerous requests from infected individuals which constantly annoy people.

It could work in the form of a filename blocklist. Just an idea :)

What do ya think? :)
03-22-2005 11:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Automatically block specific transfer requests (suggestion)
I thought that too :) to stop you automatically accept .pif files! Wonderful idea and i don't imagine it would be too difficult?
03-22-2005 11:43 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
There are new plugins coming that do this...

Don't really remember the names :-S...

Something PifBlock..

Nah, i don't know... it's late
[Image: 1-0.png]

03-22-2005 11:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
The new leaked beta (7.0.732) blocks the following filetypes
quote:
Originally posted by mess.be
Exe (executable), Com (executable), Scr (screensaver), Bat (batch file), Pif (MS-Dos executable), VBS (Visual Basic Script), JS (Java Script), HTA (HTML Application) Reg (Windows Registration), msi (Microsoft Installer)

This post was edited on 03-23-2005 at 12:07 AM by Plik.
03-23-2005 12:06 AM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Oooh MSN 7.0.732 :D yay! I have that but didn't know it blocked those.. although i now can't send MSN Messenger to people over MSN but i rarely do anyways :)
03-23-2005 12:08 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:
Exe (executable), Com (executable), Scr (screensaver), Bat (batch file), Pif (MS-Dos executable), VBS (Visual Basic Script), JS (Java Script), HTA (HTML Application) Reg (Windows Registration), msi (Microsoft Installer)

Indeed, and from what I've heared this feature is one of the least welcomed features since a very very very long time... It is very good that MS tries to do something about the virusses (Y). But it isn't good if this "feature" would be build in and no way to turn it off. MSN will loose a lot of 'above-average' MSN users... Only time will tell...

On a very personal note: if this feature would be build in without the ability to turn off, I'm strongly wondering who the *beeeep* n00b was that suggested this to MSN... And who was the n00b then to forget to include all the other extensions which can be run automatically. Luckely this is still in private beta hands only, so we have to wait until this "feature" matures to see what's up with this...

This post was edited on 03-23-2005 at 01:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-23-2005 03:07 AM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:

Indeed, and from what I've heared this feature is one of the least welcomed features since a very very very long time... It is very good that MS tries to do something about the virusses (Y). But it isn't good if this "feature" would be build in and no way to turn it off. MSN will loose a lot of 'above-average' MSN users... Only time will tell...

On a very personal note: if this feature would be build in without the ability to turn off, I'm strongly wondering who the *beeeep* n00b was that suggested this to MSN... And who was the n00b then to forget to include all the other extensions which can be run automatically (eg: screensavers). Luckely this is still in private beta hands only, so we have to wait until this "feature" matures to see what's up with this...

Don't worry :P
StuffPlug is here to rescue ;)

This post was edited on 03-23-2005 at 06:49 AM by TheBlasphemer.
[Image: theblasp.png]
03-23-2005 06:33 AM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:

On a very personal note: if this feature would be build in without the ability to turn off, I'm strongly wondering who the *beeeep* n00b was that suggested this to MSN... And who was the n00b then to forget to include all the other extensions which can be run automatically (eg: screensavers). Luckely this is still in private beta hands only, so we have to wait until this "feature" matures to see what's up with this...

Don't worry :P
StuffPlug is here to rescue ;)
If this feature can't be disable I think M$ will get some very angry emails!!! :P...
Yes, we will just wait, hopefully the betatesters can tell m$ about this.. :D...
Stuffplug is here to rescue??? You already did it? You already did get passed the protection? :O
03-23-2005 08:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
The latest leaked beta may have that feature added with no obvious way to turn it off, but I would have thought there'd be something hidden deep down that will turn it off.
Anyway, if someone really does want to send an executable, then they just ZIP it.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
03-23-2005 09:56 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
The latest leaked beta may have that feature added with no obvious way to turn it off, but I would have thought there'd be something hidden deep down that will turn it off.
Anyway, if someone really does want to send an executable, then they just ZIP it.
I don't want to zip a single exe file everytime I have to send a exe file to someone!.. That's crap!!!... I am a programmer and many of my contacts on msn help me out testing stuff on different systems, I don't want to zip the exe file each 5 minuttes i've done something new in the program to see if it works...
I don't want to Compile -> Zip -> send and then on the other side -> Extract -> Run... The zip and extract part is not needed... I fM$ doesn't change this or some patch pr whatever is able to change this, then I'm NOT gonna update!!!!... The idea of blocking files is ok, but then they at least needs a enable/disable, only block .xxx files, etc... If they don't do this!!! Then they can go f**k them selfs!...
And now people are going to say: "If you don't want to zip and extract, just rename the file to another filename and then send it, and the other person just renames it back to .exe..."... Yes of course this is correct!.. But I don't want that, it should all just be plain and simple, send, recieve, run... I don't need no stinky Blocker to control what I should send/recieve....
But ok, lets see where this is heading, hopefully m$ will of course make a config screen for this... :D... this is just a beta only avaible to a few people (officially! :P) so many things can still change...
03-23-2005 01:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: