What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Custom Font (HTML/Stylesheet)

Custom Font (HTML/Stylesheet)
Author: Message:
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. Custom Font (HTML/Stylesheet)
Okay, well I was wondering, is there any way of using your own custom fonts that you upload onto your webspace... so, if i wanted to use something that like nobody has, so they wouldn't usually be able to view it, but I want it to show, btw, I'm going to host it on my server so...
03-31-2005 04:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Custom Font (HTML/Stylesheet)
It should be possible if you refer to the specified font (link to font on your webspace). How else would we be able to see all those special fonts on other sites ;) Just make sure you specify a font there that everybody has aswell (you know, just in case).

Edit: nice tutorial Stiggy *bookmarks* :D
* Sunshine didn't know bout the embedding part (is still somewhat of an HTML n00b)...

This post was edited on 03-31-2005 at 04:31 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-31-2005 04:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
ask me!!!

for gods sake boy

http://www.spoono.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=19
03-31-2005 04:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
yeh spoono is really good for tutorials, its where i learnt a lot of what i know of php :)

thanks for the tutorial :)
03-31-2005 04:47 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
If it is for a logo or something, make an image instead. Embedding fonts isn't recommended as it is highly dependable on the user's browser (and it also goes totaly against any W3C guidelines)!

Also, most fonts used like this are not readable enough and if you choose a "readable" font they almost always look just the same as the normal standard fonts, so no point in wasting time and bandwidth...

This post was edited on 03-31-2005 at 04:53 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-31-2005 04:51 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: Custom Font (HTML/Stylesheet)
okay okay, Its not for an image, and i was going to use a quite readable font, but still, I probably won't use it now, I just wanted to use a nice looking font for once :p. Rather than Tahoma or Trebuchet MS, but from this, i can see that there is no real point :).
03-31-2005 04:59 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Well, what you can do is using a standard font which is available in most Windows systems. But also provide an alternative if people don't have that font... This is done by adding different font names after each other, the first one on the list is taken first, if that doesn't exist the second is tried, etc. But again, take in account that not everybody has all those fonts or even not browsing in Windows at all (Linux, etc...) and still will see the page with their system/browser default font.

Note that the system/browser default font has been specifically choosen and is used all over the system because of it's readablility.

This post was edited on 03-31-2005 at 05:03 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-31-2005 05:02 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
okay okay, Its not for an image, and i was going to use a quite readable font, but still, I probably won't use it now, I just wanted to use a nice looking font for once :p. Rather than Tahoma or Trebuchet MS, but from this, i can see that there is no real point :).
It's of no use if you want to make a site "compatible" with all browsers. Stick as much to the "basics" as possible (meaning: following W3C guidelines) and keep away from browserdependant things.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
03-31-2005 05:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: Custom Font (HTML/Stylesheet)
Okay people, thanks for all of your help, I was just going to do it to get better marks in my GNVQ Coursework, but if its not compatible with all of the browsers, then I don't really see the point...
03-31-2005 05:14 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: