What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » game crashes or monitor shuts off

game crashes or monitor shuts off
Author: Message:
Vinnie14

O.P. Huh?  game crashes or monitor shuts off
im having a problem playing games on steam (DoD and CS). What it is, is that when i try playing in opengl just after ive connected to a server my monitor shuts off as if it is on standby, and it wont come back on unless i reboot my pc. To solve this i tried chaging it to D3D but it just crashes completely when i connect. ive tried changing resolution and that doesnt work. it workd when i had a TNT2 Ultra graphcs card and Win98SE but it wont work now ive got: WinXP SP2 and an ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600 pro advantage ddr dvi card.

Any ideas???

thanks in advance

Sean

For all the things i have tried heres the thread on the official steam forums, curently gone dead though :S

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread....s=&threadid=264541
03-31-2005 10:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
forey

forey!!!!!

35 / Male / –
RE: game crashes or monitor shuts off
latest drivers? more ram?
04-01-2005 04:02 AM
Savior

It may be that your CPU is over working or over heating causing your monitor or video card to shut down.  You may want to think about adding another fan or buying a larger fan that's my oppionion
04-01-2005 02:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vinnie14

O.P. RE: game crashes or monitor shuts off
could it be that because i have no trouble playing other games, only the ones that use openGL
04-01-2005 04:17 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
I had something similar, for me it was because the VIA-chipset on my motherboard didn't like my ATI Radeon 9800 pro...
I fixed it by putting the AGP voltage in my bios 0.1v higher,
but if this doesn't work be sure to turn it back, because it might decrease the life of your card :P
[Image: theblasp.png]
04-01-2005 05:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Savior

Trying reinstalling OpenGL?
04-01-2005 05:28 PM
TheGeek

Excuse my geekyness.

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie14
im having a problem playing games on steam (DoD and CS). What it is, is that when i try playing in opengl just after ive connected to a server my monitor shuts off as if it is on standby, and it wont come back on unless i reboot my pc. To solve this i tried chaging it to D3D but it just crashes completely when i connect. ive tried changing resolution and that doesnt work. it workd when i had a TNT2 Ultra graphcs card and Win98SE but it wont work now ive got: WinXP SP2 and an ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600 pro advantage ddr dvi card.

Any ideas???

thanks in advance

Sean

For all the things i have tried heres the thread on the official steam forums, curently gone dead though :S

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread....s=&threadid=264541

I also had something simular a few days ago. I didn't have a clue so we payed a guy to fix it.
He said that the problem was an incompatibality of some hardware (my keyboard/mouse weren't compatible with my graphic tablet).
Hope this helps.
[Image: 468x60banner.png]
04-01-2005 08:40 PM
Vinnie14

O.P. RE: RE: game crashes or monitor shuts off
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
I had something similar, for me it was because the VIA-chipset on my motherboard didn't like my ATI Radeon 9800 pro...
I fixed it by putting the AGP voltage in my bios 0.1v higher,
but if this doesn't work be sure to turn it back, because it might decrease the life of your card :P

you my friend are a star :dodgyomar: it works now, my cpu does heat up a bit when playing but goes straight back down when im not, nice one (Y)
04-02-2005 12:22 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: