What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » ftp

ftp
Author: Message:
Striker

40 / Male / –
O.P. ftp
hey,

i have been having his issue lately when ftp'ing large files, or its more noticble when i do. Its the same issue no matter what i use.. so.. heres what happends

if i upload a large file.. the cpu usage for the program im using (for example ie) will start at around 20%.. and my network will show high traffic. then in a few minutes everything starts to go nuts. my cpu useage goes to 50% (which is full since i have HT on my cpu.. so 50% is pretty much using a full cpu) and my network goes way down. from about 90 kb/s, to about 9 kb/s. If it was my isp slowing me down, then i woudln't have high cpu/memory usage.. so thats why im wondering whats gonig on.

anyone have any idea's what might be causing this?

and remember, its the same if i use smartFTP or any other such program.. even if i install an ftp manger on my comp and ask the person to download the file instead of me sending it..

thanks
04-01-2005 10:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: ftp
Good question, I don't know much about this, but cpould it be anything to do with your comp, or ur FTP server?

Plz show you CPU caracteristics and youre FTP server name, ill see if I can understand anything :)
04-01-2005 11:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
WS_FTP is one of the best stable FTP clients, that deserve what it costs. The network will show high traffic, because you are uploading alot, it cannot handle all the connection at same time, so it keeps uploading, internet becomes slower. I suggest using WS_FTP, I never have problems with WS_FTP, and use Firefox, way more stable than Firefox. :)
04-01-2005 11:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Striker

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: ftp
well i used ws_ftp (since it was already on my comp) when i was ftp'ing a big file to my friends server

i know it should slow down some.. but my ISP has a limit at 90 kb/s.. i can upload at that speed, so i dont know why it would drop way down to 9 kb/s (i hvae high speed obviously...)

i didn't catch the cpu at the beginning cause i was looking at the network graph.. but i dont recall ever seeing this high cpu usage just to upload a file.. my comp heats up about 15 degree's cause of this

and oh ya.. top pic is network, bottom is my cpu..

[Image: attachment.php?pid=426582]

.jpg File Attachment: ftp.JPG (105.83 KB)
This file has been downloaded 170 time(s).

This post was edited on 04-02-2005 at 12:11 AM by Striker.
04-02-2005 12:09 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Striker
well i used ws_ftp (since it was already on my comp) when i was ftp'ing a big file to my friends server

i know it should slow down some.. but my ISP has a limit at 90 kb/s.. i can upload at that speed, so i dont know why it would drop way down to 9 kb/s (i hvae high speed obviously...)

i didn't catch the cpu at the beginning cause i was looking at the network graph.. but i dont recall ever seeing this high cpu usage just to upload a file.. my comp heats up about 15 degree's cause of this

and oh ya.. top pic is network, bottom is my cpu..
quote:

sorry man im trying to find something but I just don't geet it either.. Ill ask a buddy of mine who knows a little more about that.. ill get back to you asap.. 2morrow morning hopefully!

This post was edited on 04-02-2005 at 02:01 AM by albert.
04-02-2005 02:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
This is very weird, how much memory you got? -- What OS you do run, and is like the computer "heavy", with lots of programs?
04-02-2005 03:36 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Striker

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: ftp
windows xp pro service pack 2
512 memory (ddr)
2.8ghz HT inte

about 18 processes running (under my name.. otheres under other names that i guess dont matter, not many though)

i can't seem to pin point anything that i've done in the past that might trigger this.. its just odd that it will happen with every ftp manger i work.. weither its smartFTP, where i use a program to upload a file to another server.. or if its and ftp server, where someone logs in and downloads the file from me.. so im lost at this point
04-02-2005 07:52 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: