What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » animated emoticons

animated emoticons
Author: Message:
sari_35

40 / Male / –
O.P. animated emoticons
i was using msn beta than i formated my computer, and i installed msn7.0.0777  and i lost all my animated emoticons. also i cant steal them from my buddies, i added my friends "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger" folder to mine, but still they dont work. also i tried to load them from "create emoticons" button but it doesnt add .dat files:(
how can i add animated emoticonsssss??????????

also ce/dp stealers dont work for these emoticons
04-11-2005 07:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
RE: animated emoticons
Well, you can't add .dat files, and i'm not sure that adding the .dat files into your messenger folder would work. Didn't you make any backup of your emoticons and other images?

Do you get an error when trying to nick emoticons from your contacts or something? Maybe just ask her to send them to you in a .zip.

Can you add emoticons from your own computer with file extensions such as a .png,.gif,.jpeg etc?
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
04-11-2005 07:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
sari_35

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: animated emoticons
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Well, you can't add .dat files, and i'm not sure that adding the .dat files into your messenger folder would work. Didn't you make any backup of your emoticons and other images?

Do you get an error when trying to nick emoticons from your contacts or something? Maybe just ask her to send them to you in a .zip.

Can you add emoticons from your own computer with file extensions such as a .png,.gif,.jpeg etc?
yeah i can add emos. with .png .gif. jpg... extensions.
i have my friends emoticons zipped but as i said i cant add them to my messenger. also when i right click (in a conversation window ) on an emoticon i just have "copy" icon, when i paste it, i just see the shortcut of the emo. *-)
}
04-11-2005 07:33 PM
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
Try right clicking twice, sometimes it won't work on the first right click.

And I meant, could your friend send them in a .zip as the images, not the .dat files.

I'm not sure what else you could do, accept for reinstalling MSN.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
04-11-2005 07:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
sari_35

40 / Male / –
but im sure that u cant right click and take emoticons on the final version of msn
04-11-2005 07:40 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised [url
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=42243&pid=434864#pid434864[/url] ]
MSN Messenger stores everything in it's usuall cache folders...
see: CookieRevised's reply to re-name display pics?

The files themselfs are renamed. Simply copying them to back them up isn't enough. In every directory there is also a cache file. This file holds the hashes, names, locations, whatever for your CE's, DP's, winks, muggins, etc. And this file is encrypted and encoded.

This means you can not simply copy everything and paste it into someone elses directory and expect it to work. If you want to add them again, you must do it one by one (and first rename them to the proper file extension again) via MSN Messenger itself...

There are "backup" programs for CE's and DP's (see http://www.sherv.net/), but they do also exactly that, adding all the stuff back via MSN Messenger. I'm sure such backup programs will be made also for winks and stuff, just be patient and keep an eye on sites like mess.be, msnfanatic.com, sherv.net, etc...

PS: and as for those directories where everything is stored, if you search the forums you'll find tons of posts already mentioning it...

So to convert/add animated emotes from .dat files:

- Place the TFR<nr>.dat files in a seperate folder and rename them to TFR<nr>.gif (or whatever name you like aslong as the extension is .gif)
- Manually add them back into your MSNM

quote:
Originally posted by sari_35
also when i right click (in a conversation window ) on an emoticon i just have "copy" icon, when i paste it, i just see the shortcut of the emo. *-)
Yes, i've seen this problem before. Normally "add" is in the list when you rightclick the emote. I've been tryin to find out what causes this, but haven't succeeded. You could do a reinstall of MSNM but that most likely won't solve that problem. Best you can do to solve this is to contact MSN (Microsoft) about it (help > send feedback)  and see what they say about that. We'd appreciate it very much if you will post inhere how to solve it.

Edit: you're welcome :D

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 08:26 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
04-11-2005 07:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
sari_35

40 / Male / –
thanx a lot the program works perfect and now i have many animated emo.s thanx thanx thanx
04-11-2005 08:24 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: