What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Wanted: Ping Personal Names

Wanted: Ping Personal Names
Author: Message:
alebowgm

O.P. Wanted: Ping Personal Names
Hey,

With the latest buld of MSN 7(7.0777), Microsoft has added the Personal Message feature, which allows for users to have a constant screen name with their personal message in italics, or for 2 Screen names, etc. Anyways, I am finding that these dont tend to update unless you are having a conversation with the user, which can tend to be a pain in the ass if you just want to see others names. Is there any way of getting a Plugin or PLUS! feature that will basically retrieve (ping) all of these names and display them, so that they can stay up to date?

Thanx
04-08-2005 10:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Wanted: Ping Personal Names
I don't really see a point to this to be honest. The delay for all we know could be caused by something your PC is doing in the background or purposly done by the servers. I think it would be a waste of programming abilities to force MSN Messenger to retrieve all the new Personnel Messages that would really slow your connection down. That and it would be pretty hard to do also.
04-09-2005 02:30 AM
alebowgm

O.P. RE: Wanted: Ping Personal Names
Well I dont believe MSN is actually updating this unless you directly connect to the user. In fact, I think it could be programmed just like the 'User has Opened Conversation' used to be, which as we all know would go and tell you this when it saw that your display was being downloaded. So why cant the same thing be done for the new Personal Message feature when a user a) Signs on and off and b) Changes their Name... As well as maybe with some interval checking that can be chosen...
04-09-2005 07:20 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
huh? As far as i know they are updated instanteously. As you update it then your users see the new personalised message straight away?
Segosa is newb.
04-09-2005 07:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
huh? As far as i know they are updated instanteously. As you update it then your users see the new personalised message straight away?
I believe so to!.. The MSN Messenger creators are not stupid!... Like everyting else, when you change something, that be nick, status, dp, whatever, the information is send to the Messenger server, and the servers then send out the information to all the contacts on your list, that is online and you haven't blocked!.. AFAIK this goes for everything in the messenger protocol.. I don't think they made it so it only updates everytime you connect them... That is just not smart, and I expect the MSN team to be very carefull with this!...

So, I'm sorry to say,. but the scenario you give, doesn't seem is correct at least that is my POW!...
If you find that it doesn't update for the others users then this is properly caused by slow servers/connection, etc... You ahve to remember that millions of people are online on the msn servers all the time!...
04-09-2005 11:46 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
it must be updated instantly, i remember TB testing out some script he made to scroll his personnel message
04-09-2005 03:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
alebowgm

O.P. RE: Wanted: Ping Personal Names
Then I must just be getting a slow connection for updates. If MSN is having the Personal Messages updated, then can't Patchou go and make another pop-up saying when a Personal Message has changed for a user?

My apoligise for the inconvience then...
04-09-2005 04:49 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: