What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers! IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers! IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!
Author: Message:
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers!
To be honest, I can't see any problems with having General Chit Chat visible to only guests, sometimes we get good members that may join maybe even to join in a quick chat, but after this, they may prove to be a great asset to the forum.

If we have this invisible to guests, then there may be a problem and the amount of helpers may decrease as us lot get older and leave to have a proper life (lol), there won't be any left because they didn't join because of General Chit Chat.

General Chit Chat isn't full of spam, and when it is, it is cleaned or something, people might want to have a positive input to a general chit chat thread, maybe even have more news about a subject, be able to help somebody with a general problem that doesn't fit into msn messenger/msgplus talk/tech talk whatever, so they put it in general chit chat about a band request or something. They could be an amazing guitarist, and because it is invisible they won't join purely because... Maybe that's a stupid example of what I mean but still...

If we make General Chit Chat invisible I believe that a major aspect of one thing we all share in this forum will be lost... Friendship... In general chit chat, we just have general discussions and can make some decent friends and sort out each others troubles... why cloud this from the general public. I mean, if the general public see some of the threads and see how nice we are etc. maybe they stop flaming at us, or get to know us for who we really are other than just some "geeks..."

Well yea... so there's my say...

I'm just going to help and join in as usual... I don't think I spam that bad anyway so... :p.
04-10-2005 05:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Joa
The dodgiest member

117 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
The problem is the actual helpthreads are forced off the first page of the latest post list pretty fast (because of the numerous T&T and GCC threads), it has nothing to do with the time you are on.
i agree with sunshine... i think that GCC threads should be hidden as well...

the help threads should be given a priority.

i attributed to a lot of spammy threads especially in the T&T section so i will not say "i didn't spam". i am trying to improve though, by not posting so much.

eitherway, i think this is a very good idea. it will most likely motivate me and others to help out more. this is the whole point of msgHELP forums, to help. so i agree completely :happy:.

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 06:05 PM by Joa.
:bow: gif :bow: <3   

spam.

04-10-2005 06:05 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I myself don't use the latest posts page, but I can easily get 20 tabs at a time, one thread in each, often half in GCC and T&T. I can just stop going into those boards :) but then I lose out on a large portion of the community spirit. On Mess.be and MSNFanatic forums, I only view a handful of the boards, and I'm largely inactive as a result. In fact, I use those forums so little I'm not sure why I joined them.

Basically, hiding GCC from guests would allow us all to benefit those who need help more, no matter how you search for new threads.

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 07:00 PM by RaceProUK.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-10-2005 06:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers!
Another example:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=42306

Read that one and see what it is we get so frustrated about (i did not report the spammies so you can see)...*sighs*

I'm off to bed...goodnight

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 10:48 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
04-10-2005 10:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
I made a rant post as a result of that. And it's now locked. For me it wasn't pointless: it got some steam released. True, after a while, it did what all threads like that do: degenerated into a big argument, so yeah, leave it locked.
Anyway, as for the thread you linked to, the suggestion to reinstall Plus didn't really fit the problem (though from the board, I can see why it was thought of), and my information just went out the window. I try to help, but I don't feel I have to set everything out step by step: things like using a program's menus should be simple to get. In fact, familiarising oneself with a program and it's configuration will allow even the most computer illiterate user to solve many simple problems like 'sounds don't play when busy' or 'contact list shows e-mail addresses'.

Actually, that should be 'OMG WTF msn sh0wz teh em@ails', as most of those tend to be.

EDIT: </rant>

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 11:32 PM by RaceProUK.
04-10-2005 11:32 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
very good idea .. hide it . DZ
04-11-2005 12:11 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers!
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
I made a rant post as a result of that. And it's now locked. For me it wasn't pointless: it got some steam released. True, after a while, it did what all threads like that do: degenerated into a big argument, so yeah, leave it locked.
Anyway, as for the thread you linked to, the suggestion to reinstall Plus didn't really fit the problem (though from the board, I can see why it was thought of), and my information just went out the window. I try to help, but I don't feel I have to set everything out step by step: things like using a program's menus should be simple to get. In fact, familiarising oneself with a program and it's configuration will allow even the most computer illiterate user to solve many simple problems like 'sounds don't play when busy' or 'contact list shows e-mail addresses'.

Actually, that should be 'OMG WTF msn sh0wz teh em@ails', as most of those tend to be.

EDIT: </rant>
Points i'm trying to make by showing that particular thread is:
1. First helper (you in this case but you are not the only one doing this) didn't post detailed how and what to check exactly.
2. Other helpers join in asking why wanna hear sounds whilst on busy? Poster didn't ask for this, he/she wanted to use the feature as its there to be used. You should be able to hear sounds whilst on busy if you set that in Plus!. Might aswell question why that feature is there then.
3. Nobody probably tested on their own system too see if this could be a bug.
4. Nobody asked about the MSNM and Plus! version.

[rant]What do i have to do to make people tread this thread??? Not many seem to have read it. Ohh, i know..lets try if it helps if i put IMPORTANT READ! in thread title...[/rant]

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 11:12 AM by Sunshine.
04-11-2005 11:10 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers! IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!
quote:
First helper (you in this case but you are not the only one doing this) didn't post detailed how and what to check exactly.
Since the question was about Messenger's sounds, I suggested checking Messenger's settings. I can see I'm being naive by expecting other people to know what they're doing, so in future I shall waste my time, spending ages going through every little step in minute detail...</yeahright>
Y'know, if people just took 5 minutes to actually read, search, or explore, I believe about 90% of people's problems would be answered without having to start yet another thread about some tiny problem that's been solved in 1886.

OK, my initial reaction was a little unfair. Usually, I do try and detail what I'm talking about. However, I do assume a basic working knowledge of Windows, and usually Messenger and Plus too (as in you can use the menus and dialogs). One of the first things I do with a program is explore it's menus and dialogs, usually because I want to change some of the settings. Everyone should do this with every program they install - this would be hugely beneficial because, for instance, you can turn off custom names, then wonder why e-mail addresses are shown. Then, you'll remember that you saw in a menu somewhere something relatring to showing e-mail adresses. You find it again, and - what's that next to it - the solution!

A little effort goes a long way.

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 12:37 PM by RaceProUK.
04-11-2005 12:21 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers! IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!
Yes indeed raceprouk, but we may not assume they have this knowledge (post full instructions to be sure they know). And everyone should explore, but you might have noticed already there are people outthere that just don't. Stay calm about it all and explain things so even a total compalit can understand (if possible).

To everybody:
I didn't make this thread to offend people..it is to advice and express our feelings about how things are going now, as a last desperate cry hoping people will understand what we are on about. We can make or break these forums together...follow the advice given, be a pro..and reputation of these forums will stay high. If the good helpers can't be bothered anymore then there is something seriously wrong isn't there? Where will these forums end if we give up?

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 01:32 PM by Sunshine.
04-11-2005 01:25 PM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
RE: Forum feature requests! + cry out to helpers! IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!
Im just going to agree with everything thats been said, i read through it all and i dont think i need to say more.
04-11-2005 01:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: