What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » File blocking is stupid

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
File blocking is stupid
Author: Message:
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. File blocking is stupid
The new msn messenger 7.0.0777 has a new feature of blocking certain files to stop instant messenger viruses from spreading. These include:

ade .adp .app .asp .bas .bat .cer .chm .cmd .com .cpl
.crt .csh .exe .fxp .hlp .hta .inf .ins .isp .its .js .jse .ksh .lnk
.mad .maf .mag .mam .maq .mar .mas .mat .mau .mav
.maw .mda .mdb .mde .mdt .mdw .mdz .msc .msi .msp .mst
.ops .pcd .pif .prf .prg .pst .reg .scf .scr .sct .shb .shs .tmp
.url .vb .vbe .vbs .vsd .vsmacros .vss .vst .vsw .ws .wsc .wsf .wsh

Patches allow us to send those files once again to anyone :)

So let’s say someone makes a virus. They tweak their msn so they can send those files and send them to random people. The random person can see the file and they download it. The virus also changes their msn so they can send those files as well automaticly and soon everyone is as infected just as usual. :o

Therefore, virus makers can find a way past this new feature and still send virus to millions. :@

What do you think of this? :P

And because .exe files are blocked, we can't send programmes to people anymore and msgplus can't be downloaded by instant messages anymore. :(

In conclusion virus makers can still send those files to people and we cant send files normally we have to have patches instead.

Please tell me if i'm wrong (CookieRevised) because i want to know has msn cracked down on viruses now or havent they :P
04-10-2005 01:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
RE: File blocking is stupid
Ok. This is yet again known information
04-10-2005 01:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: File blocking is stupid
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
Ok. This is yet again known information

*Absorbation feels sad

I guess it is known hobbes :P but is what i'm saying right, because if it is i'm gonna be angry :P

All i want is an answer then the thread can be delted, i dont want people angry with me for posting old news. :(

This post was edited on 04-10-2005 at 01:26 PM by absorbation.
04-10-2005 01:25 PM
Fredzz

37 / Male / –
I dont use the new messenger, but is the new msn blocked to send those types of files, or recieving them? Because if its for recieving it will be harder to get virus. And other thing: those patches that enable you to unblock the file transfers, shoud keep blocking files like .pif and .com .reg and .scr .. not every filetype!

But, if its only blocked to send these types, you're right, virus people just patch msn, and everything will be as before! I just hope its the 1st  option i said!
Fredzz rox00rz
04-10-2005 01:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

you just gave a great idea to virus writers. good job.

oh and by the way, whatever microsoft does, there will ALWAYS be a way to do anything you want. it's just a fact.
04-10-2005 02:10 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: File blocking is stupid
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
you just gave a great idea to virus writers. good job.

oh and by the way, whatever microsoft does, there will ALWAYS be a way to do anything you want. it's just a fact.

Sorry but they would of thought of it as well. :P

Freddz it's sending them which blockes them :(

Only cookie could sort this 1 out ;)
04-10-2005 02:18 PM
reisyboy
Elite Member

Messenger Oldie ;-)

36 / Male / –
To be honest i know its known information but i do think its a good thing that those files are blocked... i know its anoying for people who know how to handel their files, but the world is full of people who dont and even the people who do make mistakes... So although its anoying maybe better in the long run. I can understand coders/programers been anoyed but, yay its not the end of the world. Just Zip 'em up' and send them... not only is there abit of compression it keeps people protected :)
Reisyboy: He is the priest to guide us from evil.. which isn’t working… so we call him Frier Tuck
04-10-2005 02:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
So let’s say someone makes a virus. They tweak their msn so they can send those files and send them to random people. The random person can see the file and they download it. The virus also changes their msn so they can send those files as well automaticly and soon everyone is as infected just as usual.

Therefore, virus makers can find a way past this new feature and still send virus to millions.

i thought it blocked files comming in?
04-10-2005 02:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Loufier

38 / Male / –
Wait... doesnt the new msn stop ppl from receiving or does it just stop ppl sending??? .... wat i do is i just use winrar :) or zip it soo we can still send programs.. but it gets annoying.. cant wait till a patch is realsed ;)
04-10-2005 02:24 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
first of all why are we always getting back on this blocke extensions things.. its like the 5th thred i read!

second, yes the virus programmers can always send these files, bt an innoncent kid who receives it without knowing cannot send t back to his friends because he don't have the patch..

you guys should not install the patch, patching is an ilegal thing btw..

so in conclusion msn blocked extensions is a little problem for a fe users but is after me something good... because not all ppl using msn know anything bot computer programming.. terefore extension. ;-)

04-10-2005 02:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: