What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » IDEA: Screenshot database for support.

Poll: Do you think this is a good idea?
Yes, it's a great idea!
No.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
IDEA: Screenshot database for support.
Author: Message:
Quantum
Disabled Account

Away.

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. Wink  IDEA: Screenshot database for support.
Well i have an idea. You know alot of us make screen shots for support and we make the same one at least for that 5 times and i find my self making ones when i know there is alot already out there (but i'm too lazy to look).

Maybe we should make a database full of them so we can support people in a fast and easy way so all we need to do is put in an ID or keyword, find the screeny and then post it :P

Kinda like: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=84169

I have had this idea for a long time but just didn't post it :P
No longer here.
06-18-2008 09:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
RE: IDEA: Screenshot database for support.
Upload them here and it will be easier to keep track of them: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/files/ :P

But not exactly what you wanted....
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
06-18-2008 09:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
I think its actually a pretty good idea. Good for when your trying to explain something to someone that only needs a small little screenshot that you know has been posted before but you cbf to find it.
06-18-2008 09:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
it would have been a great idea to let people see who voted on what too.

also, how would we know which ID or keyword would display what?

edit: and isnt msghelp.net/files only a temp. hoster?

This post was edited on 06-18-2008 at 09:50 PM by joey.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
06-18-2008 09:49 PM
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by icd*
it would have been a great idea to let people see who voted on what too.

also, how would we know which ID or keyword would display what?
Have screenshot catagaries and name each screenshot, for example a screenshot of the scripts icon, could be names "scripts" and could be in the icons catagory for example.
06-18-2008 09:51 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
I could start a website for this maybe? Code it up and design one - where you'd have to have a key (you'd be able to get off this forum) or be a member.

I have time now, it's just if anyone _really_ wants it. I'd be happy to - my exams are over :D
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

06-18-2008 09:56 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
http://mpsupport.net
06-18-2008 09:59 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I hesitate to vote 'yes'...

Reason being: many (if not all) screenshots I personaly have made in the past can be categorised in two sections: screenshots which can be used again, and screenshots which can't be used again.

The first one (sshots which can be used again), can quite often be found by looking in some other posts and can easly be reused (by simply linking to them). Making a proper help post would already include such a screenshots.

And when you come across the same question somewhere else, it would be better to link to that older post/thread anyways instead of starting another thread with the exact same thing (resulting in the exact same followup questions, same comments maybe etc. etc. Which means you as a helper need to put more time in it than needed, the user needs to wait for repsonses, and the forum would contain 'duplicate' threads with information scattered around)

The second one (sshots which can't be used again) are actually very common too. This is because many stuff is specific for a particular person for a very specific question. Such screenshots can't be used for other people or it will make things more confusing instead of more clear.

Another reason why I wont vote yes, is because, imho, if you make a databse, then such a database should be made together with help posts, thus with text, explainations. Making such a proper help-database would already include screenshots (eg: see stuff on the official Messenger Plus! Live pages).

All in all, the most common problems you come across on these forums (and even not-so-common problems) have already be handled in one way or the other, and most of the time that included a screenshot (for those questions which aren't user-specific).

The only thing you need to do as a helper is searching for those posts/threads and link to them (instead of being lazy, if I may be so bold to say it, and without pointing to anyone). And if there isn't such a older post/thread then make your screenshot and use it to answer the question.

Yet another reason is the same as what I've said here: info fragmentation. This idea of a sshot db is great, but is yet again one of the many many many things which is started up and then forgotten or not used while there are already sites/databases which could perfectly do this (refering to http://msupport.net) if they are only maintained and updated properly by people (and with 'people' I don't only mean the creators of such sites, but us, the helpers, mostly).

So, I feel that making a new database with screenshots would be like seriously re-inventing the wheel since a lot of the screenshots which would end up in this database actually already exist....

So, I wont vote 'yes'...
(Though, I wont vote 'no' either, unless I really really must choose, then I would reluctantly choose 'no')

This post was edited on 06-18-2008 at 10:48 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-18-2008 10:42 PM
raghav

– / Male / Flag
I'd vote for no simply because it'd take some time to code and it hardly takes a minute to take a screenshot which I can afford to waste.

CookieRevised I love your posts (huge with good explanation =P).You should write a book and I assure you that I'll be the first one to buy it :P (only if its not overpriced lol).
06-25-2008 02:56 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: