What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » explorer.exe refuses to run! HELP

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
explorer.exe refuses to run! HELP
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: explorer.exe refuses to run! HELP
Just make a New Account , that should fix your problems, but b aware the Microsoft Spyware program is just a Beta an will have problems with it, ur better to use something more stable
04-14-2005 03:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: explorer.exe refuses to run! HELP
The problem is in all acounts. I made a new one, it's there too.

I just noticed something, I have had my Windows version showing on my desktop. It would always at the bottom right. If I moved or hid the taskbar, it would move into the very bottom, otherwise it would be at the bottom, just clear of the taskbar. Now that there is no taskbar there, it didn't move, it is in the same position that it would be if the taskbar was there. I hope that that makes sense.

Even though it gave an error, Diagnostic Startup seemed to have effect, though it didn't fix my problem. When custom startup options are enabled, Windows should give a warning at logon, it didn't, but it had a normal startup entry in the registry.

Windows is now asking me to reactivate because there have been 'significant hardware changes' but I haven't changed any hardware. I can reactivate, but I'd rather not.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-14-2005 04:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i'd be formatting XP an reinstalling or ring Microsoft an get ya Creditcard out an hopee they can help :) otherwise ur screwed
04-14-2005 04:29 AM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
split-second, then disappear. iexplore.exe won't open either. Renaming these and then running won't work either. Windows Task Manager seems to work fine, it's the only way that I can open applications now. My startup programs aren't getting run, but I can manually start them. TopDesk
Uhm...sounds like a virus I had :S
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
04-14-2005 04:39 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: explorer.exe refuses to run! HELP
There's some ... umm ... files on there that i want to keep

@Purity
Do you know what the virus name is, or do you have a removal tool?

I have a stack of assignments and my pc is almost impossible to use. :(
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-30-2005 08:54 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
1) Turn on computer, and log on to my account.
First mistake in such cases....

ALWAYS boot up in safe mode and run immediatly a virusscan
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-30-2005 02:47 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
First mistake in such cases....

ALWAYS boot up in safe mode and run immediatly a virusscan

F8 or F12 to get into safe Mode isnt it Cookie? ,, an for a Virus, it doesnt alwaysmean thers'a a Virus causing the problem.. can be anything like if there are Bad sectors on the HDD, they need dealling with an.
04-30-2005 03:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Demz
F8 or F12 to get into safe Mode isnt it Cookie?
something like that, or F5...

quote:
and for a Virus, it doesnt always mean there's a virus causing the problem. Can be anything like if there are bad sectors on the HDD, they need dealling with.
Everything I read points in big letters to "virus". Either way, even if it is something else, you DO need to make a virusscan first, in safe mode, to make sure.

As any other action taken, without doing a scan first, will only result in a possible virus spreading and damaging more and more... Only when you are 200% certain it isn't a virus you can go to the next step of the diagnostic and scan for adware/spyware. Then when that is finished (and fixed) you can start dealing with HDD errors and the likes...

Doing this in any other order will only result in more havoc and unfixable things...

This post was edited on 04-30-2005 at 03:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-30-2005 03:17 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Everything I read points in big letters to "virus". Either way, even if it is something else, you DO need to make a virusscan first, in safe mode, to make sure.

when i had problem with my windowsXP lastweek . just after i did an Ad-Aware Removal usinfg Ad-Aware SE, i then rebooted, to find windows Had shit itself, ( dont ask me why )  but to what i did an i hope this maybe helps others , was boot into Safe Mode using F* i think it is  i did a Virus Scan  ( pretty sure it wasnt a virus cozz the last thing i downloaded was a Picture from these forums )  it wasnt a Virus , so i then went to ( still in safe Mode ) then went to DISK CLEANUP an found heap of Old Disk crap in there tht was causing the Bad sectors to be showing up etc, so i cleaned that out an then rebooted in normal Mode, , everything was fine  but 1 Little thing spat the dummy on me, some SVHOST file  but what it turned out to be a corrupt file or whateve rit was in C:/Documents and Settings/Recent/ something like that where the main problem was i gather, so i soon did a CHKDSK just in Command Prompt an did what neded to be done an rebooted again,  an bingo , everythin was back to normal, so going into Safe Mode an chekcking everything , Viruses an the HDD in Safe Mode an then Emptyiong out Disk Cleanup Utility coz that does hold a lot of unwanted waste in there, which can i guess stuff up a windows if left there, .

quote:
As any other action taken, without doing a scan first, will only result in a possible virus spreading and damaging more and more... Only when you are 200% certain it isn't a virus you can go to the next step of the diagnostic and scan for adware/spyware. Then when that is finished (and fixed) you can start dealing with HDD errors and the likes...

Doing this in any other order will only result in more havoc and unfixable things..

totally agree
04-30-2005 03:41 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: explorer.exe refuses to run! HELP
quote:
quote:
F8 or F12 to get into safe Mode isnt it Cookie?
something like that, or F5...

It's F8 ;)

Have you searched your computer for viruses? It sounds like a virus to me. Most Anti-Viruses should find it.

In future: Don't use Microsoft AntiSpyware BETA. I used it and it found nothing. Whereas Ad-Aware found over 100.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
04-30-2005 11:03 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: