What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Bios Pword

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Bios Pword
Author: Message:
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Bios Pword
I would start by only putting in one HD and booting it up on a floppy or whatever. AFTER the one is recognised, put the second one in. Also, it might help if you put them on master/slave

This post was edited on 04-15-2005 at 02:37 PM by MeEtc.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-15-2005 02:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Bios Pword
Ok thanks.
I am trying to boot from the Linux Knoppix Live Cd.
I thought i would be able to choose cable select for both then arrange them in the master/slave order i want by the cable. According to whats written on it it says the end plug is for master and the middle plug is for slave. however this still is not working so ill give what you said a go.

Another problem has popped up and I have googled it but not really found an answer despite alot of similiar issues other people have had.
When booting it gets to a certain stage and a message pops up on my compaq monitor saying "Out of Range" and something about resolution then does not let me view any further. As far as i know it is still running fine from the cd i just cannot see what is going on.
I tried using a different older monitor and it works fine however the monitor is so old, small and fuzzy that it is beyond use with damaging your eyes :P
Any idea why this problem is happening with my compaq monitor and how can i fix it?
Thanks

P.S Wooot 100 posts and to my knowledge not one spam post (H)
[Image: wetpix%20sig.png]
04-16-2005 01:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Is the monitor an LCD/TFT?
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-16-2005 02:29 AM
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
Na its a CRT monitor. would it be something to do with drivers or is something just not configured or working properly?
04-16-2005 02:38 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Boot from your CD, using your old monitor, then change your display settings and set the refresh rate lower. The resolution shouldn't matter unless it's insanely high.

There's no such thing as an actual monitor driver. All Windows monitor drivers do is tell the computer the brand and model of monitor, and usually give it a colour profile. Generic drivers usually don't make that much diference.

I don't know where to set your display settings in Knoppix.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-16-2005 02:42 AM
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
Yea the problem is i cant get into the actual operating system with that monitor. The out of range/ resolution message comes up during boot.
So is there a way to adjust the settings before getting into the operating system? bios or something
04-16-2005 07:21 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
You can't adjust your screen resolution or refresh rate before getting into the operating system. Get into the operating system using the fuzzy monitor (the one that works), change your settings, then switch back to the clear monitor, that didn't work before, hopefully it will work now.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

04-17-2005 01:35 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Bios Pword
quote:
Originally posted by Dan0208

I am trying to boot from the Linux Knoppix Live Cd.
I thought i would be able to choose cable select for both then arrange them in the master/slave order i want by the cable. According to whats written on it it says the end plug is for master and the middle plug is for slave. however this still is not working so ill give what you said a go.

Another problem has popped up and I have googled it but not really found an answer despite alot of similiar issues other people have had.
When booting it gets to a certain stage and a message pops up on my compaq monitor saying "Out of Range" and something about resolution then does not let me view any further. As far as i know it is still running fine from the cd i just cannot see what is going on.
I tried using a different older monitor and it works fine however the monitor is so old, small and fuzzy that it is beyond use with damaging your eyes :P
Any idea why this problem is happening with my compaq monitor and how can i fix it?
Thanks

I had a similar problem when I started using Knoppix. On the boot screen, try typing in "knoppix xmodule=vesa" It fixed my blank screen problem. Its in the FAQ somwhere on the CD
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-18-2005 11:40 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: