What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated
Author: Message:
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
O.P. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated
This is an error where windows reports that freespace is being reported in the MFT sectors

this is a neglible problem as the when the mft removes references the mft reports the old reference as free space

doing a boot time defrag to defrag and clean up old mft references using perfect disk 7.0 can cure this

i myself have the problem, where it tells me to restart and do an offline chkdsk

offline chkdsk doesn;t report a problem but if you do a windows chkdsk 2x in a row the first reports an error where as the second reports no problems

this is a windows bug found in 2000/XP on ntfs drives, and Server 2003 appears to have this problem fixed

microsoft have replied to over thousand cases of this by saying its a bug that cannot be fixed

sometimes this error causes files to be misplaced as well causing the file to disappear off the drive

if this is happening to you download the trial of perfect disk 7.0 and defrag and clean the mft

i actually started getting this error after removing 2 files each 4.38 gbs in size

the 8gb chunk removed from the drive results in a large amount of space marked as free in the mft

other causes of this are also Norton Goback becoz of the way it handles its own repair file

before i removed the 2 files chkdsk reported no problems at all

chkntfs also reports a clean drive :P

hope this helps anyone who has the CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated problem
04-15-2005 04:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
O.P. RE: CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated
OK im contradicting myself

IF YOU HAVE THIS ERROR

DO NOT TRY TO DEFRAG IT OUT,

BACKUP ALL YOUR FILES USING THE WINDOWS BACKUP TOOL AND FORMAT

IM SAYING TO USE THE WINDOWS BACKUP TOOL BECOZ MOST OTHER PROGRAMS MAKE AND COPY THE DISC IMAGE WHICH INCLUES THE MFT, WHICH ISN'T WANTED
04-16-2005 11:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: