What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » is this even possible?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
is this even possible?
Author: Message:
TheMusicPirate

39 / Male / –
O.P. is this even possible?
is it possible to burn a dvd, and have it work on regular cd-rom drives?

and im just curious, in Nero theres a thing called UDF DVD, what is that?

thanks
[Image: ipod.gif]

04-18-2005 03:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
RE: is this even possible?
No, although they look similar AFAIK its impossible for a CD-ROM to read any type of DVD because I'm fairly sure they use different lasers and wavelengths and stuff.

And about UDF DVD
quote:
Originally posted by http://homepage.ntlworld.com/allcam/cdformat.html#2
ISO 9660 have been used as the main CD format for many years now. Most of the CD nowsdays still use this format, the benefit of this format is that it is readable by all CD drive or CD player, and can be shared between PC and MAC.

Universal Disk Format (UDF) is a newer file system for CD and DVDdeveloped and managed by the Optical Storage Technology Association as the successor to the ISO 9660 standard. UDF overcomes limitations of ISO 9660 and redirectors such as CDFS. UDF is used to ensure compatibility across platforms, as well as among various CD and DVD applications. UDF is required for DVDs, and is used by DVD to contain MPEG audio/video streams, UDF is also used by CD-R and CD-RW in a process called packet writing that makes CD writing more efficient in terms of the time and disk space required.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
04-18-2005 03:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
TheMusicPirate

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: is this even possible?
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
No, although they look similar AFAIK its impossible for a CD-ROM to read any type of DVD because I'm fairly sure they use different lasers and wavelengths and stuff.

And about UDF DVD
quote:
Originally posted by http://homepage.ntlworld.com/allcam/cdformat.html#2
ISO 9660 have been used as the main CD format for many years now. Most of the CD nowsdays still use this format, the benefit of this format is that it is readable by all CD drive or CD player, and can be shared between PC and MAC.

Universal Disk Format (UDF) is a newer file system for CD and DVDdeveloped and managed by the Optical Storage Technology Association as the successor to the ISO 9660 standard. UDF overcomes limitations of ISO 9660 and redirectors such as CDFS. UDF is used to ensure compatibility across platforms, as well as among various CD and DVD applications. UDF is required for DVDs, and is used by DVD to contain MPEG audio/video streams, UDF is also used by CD-R and CD-RW in a process called packet writing that makes CD writing more efficient in terms of the time and disk space required.

thanks for for the info, i was just about to burn a dvd with a bunch of pictures and songs, for my cousin, he said it would work on his computer. but i told him it wouldn't work if he didn't have a dvd cd-rom.

04-18-2005 03:23 PM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by JackSparrow
thanks for for the info, i was just about to burn a dvd with a bunch of pictures and songs, for my cousin, he said it would work on his computer. but i told him it wouldn't work if he didn't have a dvd cd-rom.

a dvd wont work on his computer. But cant u use dvd shrink or another program to analyze the dvd to your computer, and then burn those parts into multilpe cds??

Correct me if im mistaking.
04-18-2005 03:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
TheMusicPirate

39 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Nova
quote:

a dvd wont work on his computer. But cant u use dvd shrink or another program to analyze the dvd to your computer, and then burn those parts into multilpe cds??

Correct me if im mistaking.

if i wanted to do that, wouldn't i have to burn the files onto a dvd first?

04-18-2005 03:28 PM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
dont you already have a dvd? I am confused. Please explain your problem again please with more information.

If you have files on your computer why dont u just burn them on multiple cds?

edit: Dvd disks dont work on cd rom drives

This post was edited on 04-18-2005 at 03:31 PM by .Roy.
04-18-2005 03:30 PM
TheMusicPirate

39 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Nova
dont you already have a dvd? I am confused. Please explain your problem again please with more information.

If you have files on your computer why dont u just burn them on multiple cds?

edit: Dvd disks dont work on cd rom drives

sorry, i meant i have at least 4.7gb of pictures and songs thati want to pass on to my cousin. and if i use dvdshrink wouldn't i have to burn the dvd in order to split the dvd into multiple files?

04-18-2005 03:34 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
sorry, i meant i have at least 4.7gb of pictures and songs thati want to pass on to my cousin. and if i use dvdshrink wouldn't i have to burn the dvd in order to split the dvd into multiple files?

Upload them onto an image host (for free) and give him the URL?
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
04-18-2005 03:36 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
Here would be the easiest thing to do: burn a bunch of CD's. Less hassle and almost guaranteed compatibility
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-18-2005 03:36 PM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
ok then dont use dvd shrink :)

What u need to do is get multiple blank cd disks like six or seven (depends on how much space is available on the blank cd)

And then just burn them one by one (like in 1 disk is the images and second disk is part of the music). Yes it is a bigger pain then burning it into one big disk but it wont work for them if they dont have a dvd rom.

I hope u understood me.

edit: same as what MeEtc said

This post was edited on 04-18-2005 at 03:38 PM by .Roy.
04-18-2005 03:37 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: