What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Ability to display contacts version of Messenger/Plus!

[Suggestion] Ability to display contacts version of Messenger/Plus!
Author: Message:
King Mustard

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. [Suggestion] Ability to display contacts version of Messenger/Plus!
Basically I've sent animations to contacts on my list and some of them have said "huh, why did you say <hmm>" because they didn't have MSN Messenger 7/Messenger Plus! and therefore couldn't see the animation. There should be a feature somewhere within Messenger Plus! that (maybe when you rollover a contact on the contact list) displays what version of MSN Messenger they're using (i.e. 6.2/7 etc.) and/or whether they have Plus! installed. It's the same with the sounds I believe. If someone doesn't have the modern versions of Plus! and they recieve a sound, they see gobble-do-gook code. The best thing would be is for Plus! to check if they have a sound-animation compatible version of Messenger/Plus! and displays a message saying you can't send sounds/animation because the contact's Messenger/Plus! version is outdated/old and doesn't support the feature.

I probably didn't make a whole loads of sense above :S

This post was edited on 04-23-2005 at 03:03 PM by King Mustard.
04-23-2005 03:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Ability to display contacts version of Messenger/Plus!
If you want to see if they have Messenger Plus! installed, type "/ping" as a message to them. If they have Plus! it will automatically send back a confirmation message. THis is then stored in the Contact Information window. However, this doesn't say what version they have, and so will not tell you if they can hear sounds.

As for what Messenger version they have, that would involve modifying the protocol, which PAtchou won't do.
And if they created a plugin that did it, there would be the problem that it would only work if both contacts had it.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
04-23-2005 03:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Ability to display contacts version of Messenger/Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by saralk

If you want to see if they have Messenger Plus! installed, type "/ping" as a message to them. If they have Plus! it will automatically send back a confirmation message
Not reliable enough to judge, they may have the option to automatically respond to pings disabled, most people don't though, so it's not to hard to work out.

However when Patchou activates the auto-updater (as soon as he's sure the new build is 100% bug free) most of the contacts with Plus will be able to hear all sounds you send, those without Plus obviously won't, but is there much harm in just asking them to download it, they either will or won't.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

As for what Messenger version they have, that would involve modifying the protocol, which PAtchou won't do.
I would be interesting to find a way to make your client send a call to the other contact's client to work out the version, but it would be very hard to do. Also pointless, if you want to know if they have a version before 7, just send a nudge. I can't think of a reason when you would need to work out what exact build they have, unless you are helping with a problem, in which case just take the attitude of they'll either tell you, or they're not worth helping if they're being awkward.

quote:
Originally posted by King Mustard

I probably didn't make a whole loads of sense above
Don't worry, I think I understood, if I got it wrong I apologise
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
04-23-2005 03:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites