What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows XP password... passable?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Windows XP password... passable?
Author: Message:
Maniac

Posts including T&T: 1684

36 / Male / –
O.P. Undecided  Windows XP password... passable?
Today i did something weird...

A friend of mine gave me his laptop at school, I go down to the library, plug it, turn it on (everything's fine so far) then poof i get to the login screen and the *beeep* didn't tell me he had a password...

Lazy as i am, i didn't feel like going around looking for him so i decided to try to be a 1337 haXX0r (8-)) and bypass the password using elementary (aka lucky) means. I type in various random things... nothing works, and on top of that there was no hint so i just gave up... or did I?

I reboot the pc into safe mode and ... ( :o ) it never asks me for a password... "sweet" i think, then i realise that i probably won't be able to access most of the stuff on the computer if im not logged in normally... so just out of further curiosity i open the accounts window where you can change the password... and... surprisingly enough, you can just change it without any problem then reboot normally and go in...

Now my question is... why? What's the point of having one then? :s

I knew there were rather "easy" ways of bypassing the password... but this just seems... TOO easy. :s

This post was edited on 04-20-2005 at 09:51 PM by Maniac.
[Image: maniacsig0pb.jpg]
*It took Jesus 3 days to respawn! Talk about lag!* :rofl:
04-20-2005 09:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Maniac

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Windows XP password... passable?
Yeah i just went to the account place and changed his password, then when i rebooted the new one worked :dodgy:
04-20-2005 09:55 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Windows XP password... passable?
He obviously did not change the hidden Administrator account.

First Rule in securing your computer, Disable the Administrator account, make another one with a different name and a secure password

;)
[Image: 1-0.png]

04-20-2005 10:00 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
He obviously did not change the hidden Administrator account.

First Rule in securing your computer, Disable the Administrator account, make another one with a different name and a secure password

;)

(y) Isn't like that with my school's laptops. They changed it, but luckily I'm an admin on my machine (6). I get up to all sorts of nasty things (no, not pr0n) on my computer and then laugh when the support people can't fix it. It's rather fun, but gets kind of boring.
[Image: 7.png]
04-20-2005 10:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Lol. Funny story. But what happens if you forget your password ,theres no guest account and no hint. The only (probely not..) way round it is to go into safe mode and change the password.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
04-20-2005 11:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Maniac

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Windows XP password... passable?
Yeah well you can also use it "maleciously" which is why i find it weird that it's possible... very dodgy MS... they never told me to take off any administrator account :dodgy:
04-20-2005 11:21 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
but i'm prety sure they do tell you to change the admin password while you set up windows.
04-21-2005 12:39 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
Today i did something weird...

A friend of mine gave me his laptop at school, I go down to the library, plug it, turn it on (everything's fine so far) then poof i get to the login screen and the *beeep* didn't tell me he had a password...

Lazy as i am, i didn't feel like going around looking for him so i decided to try to be a 1337 haXX0r (8-)) and bypass the password using elementary (aka lucky) means. I type in various random things... nothing works, and on top of that there was no hint so i just gave up... or did I?

I reboot the pc into safe mode and ... ( :o ) it never asks me for a password... "sweet" i think, then i realise that i probably won't be able to access most of the stuff on the computer if im not logged in normally... so just out of further curiosity i open the accounts window where you can change the password... and... surprisingly enough, you can just change it without any problem then reboot normally and go in...

Now my question is... why? What's the point of having one then? :s

I knew there were rather "easy" ways of bypassing the password... but this just seems... TOO easy. :s

i know i might be flaming Microsoft again here but i somewhat dont care,  , if you could do that, just goes to show you there's still NO SECURITY in Windows , where as Linux /unix there is  another good reason to switch
04-21-2005 01:27 AM
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
:| i usually limit the spare admin account
04-21-2005 05:58 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Demz
i know i might be flaming Microsoft again here but i somewhat dont care,  , if you could do that, just goes to show you there's still NO SECURITY in Windows , where as Linux /unix there is  another good reason to switch
There IS good security in Windows. The problem is NOT the OS, but the USER himself!!! It is very obvious that if you wish to secure your PC in a proper way that you need to enable ALL the security settings in a proper way, not some of them... All this is even clearly explained in the help sections when you're dealing with the security priveledges of Windows and also in other places like lizard.boy explained. So don't blame microsoft for this, instead blame the user who cba to read something or do something in the proper and logic way... And this is exactly the same as in *NIX.

This post was edited on 04-25-2005 at 04:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-25-2005 04:53 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: