What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » NTFS or FAT32 for an external drive?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
NTFS or FAT32 for an external drive?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: NTFS or FAT32 for an external drive?
quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
cookie. you don't wanna go up against me when it comes to file systems and issues, coz i can't say without a doubt that Fat32 is not as much as a problem as you spin doctors put on it
Please.... and without wanting to be rude but I'm sure was editing/playing/working on a low level with harddisks before you ever touched a PC. I know what I'm talking about...

quote:
IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THIS EXTERNAL DRIVE AS A BACKUP DRIVE OR STORE LARGE AMOUNTS OF SMALL AND LARGE DATA ON IT
THE SUGGESTION FROM MICROSOFT ITSELF IS TO PARTITION IT SEVERAL WAYS AND FORMAT IT FAT32
riiiiiiiiiight.... then show me that suggestion where it clearly states that...

This post was edited on 04-29-2005 at 02:40 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-29-2005 02:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
WOAH

well if government servers are using ntfs they deserve to lose data alot

my ole school lost alot of data when one of the drives got hit by a virus that destroys the mft

the computer tech dude said to me, wouldn't have happened with fat32, he also said, he doesn't recommend servers use ntfs not for security reasons but for the same thing i've just been talking about

he'd been working at a school trying to recover about 300gbs of data that had been lost when the mft got damaged

and chris

Fault tolerance only works when the drive supports it
and not all drives do

mine is one that doesn't

cookie... i've been playing with hard discs before they reached the size of a cdrom bay

i've used raw fat fat32, ntfs on some server machines
i've used compressed drivers

i've been partitioning formatting low level formatting and converting hard disks since i was 8

i used to rip macs apart and piece em back together, to a working state

i don't care whether your in the believe that your older so you know more.. coz thats crap

i know a 5 yr old that knows as much as i do,

most of the crap i know about computers i didn't even learn,

people have been paying me to repair computers since i was 10, and im the first person, in the entire of my suburb, that people call, when they have problems,

so untill you can come back and tell me that you have a base of people and friends that big who trust me with the maintenance and repairs on there machines

just don't speak at all

i only got my it2 cert last yr, and i hardly went to any classes for that certificate

i don't read from books, which is why i know alot more about things then most people

my friend who did the same course as me, couldn't even format and reinstall windows

and they taught it in my course

which is skipped that day anyway :P

but don't bring up the shit that you've been using hard drives alot longer then me

coz i've got uncles older then you, one of which works at ibm and is a hardcore lan gamer who goes to lan parties

and knew half as much as what i do about tweaking performance to a max

you and your 28 yrs mean buckley to me,

age doesn't mean wisdom

just means your closer to carking it

also if you do go with ntfs on a single partition use this

1. Start regedit from the run command.
2. Check out for that key called

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ FileSystem

3. Create a DWORD-variable with the name NtfsMftZoneReservation.
4. Add the value 1 = 12.5% (Windows default value) or 2 = 25%. This values are percent free Harddiskspace.
5. Reboot the system

bigger hard disks need a bigger MFT reserved space otherwise the mft won't be written and you will lose data

edit: thanks for merging em chris. was about to do it myself

This post was edited on 04-29-2005 at 02:59 PM by squall_leonhart69r.
04-29-2005 02:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: NTFS or FAT32 for an external drive?
quote:
Fat32 is the better operating system
Oo Since when is a file system an operating system?

quote:
Stability wise, performance wise (when considering ntfs has to update everyfile as its used which slows things down)
Think what you want, but I apreciate it if you don't go suggesting/telling these things to others, especially on this forum, as this is absolutely totaly nonsense...

quote:
(...) i believe (...)
(...) my conclusion (...)
(...) my investigation into the problem (...)
Sorry, but you need to learn how things realy work without relying on you intuition.

quote:
Partition the drive with seagate disc wizard
as partition magic causes the drive to have to many logical blocks for some reason rendering the drive unbootable as such
Riiiiiiight, again something new for me... Ever noticed the options in Partition Magic where you can set all the parameters for a drive?????? (oh, and too many logical blocks doesn't render a drive unbootable; it isn't very healty for data integrity though)

quote:
4kb clusters are the best becoz they prevent space wastage
Come again??? Sorry, but this shows how much you know. This is only true if you use lots of small files (which in practice you almost never will). In practice, a too small clustersize will even limit the amount of files you can use and the amount of filesizes (as you can only have so much defined clusters on one HD)....

quote:
my ole school lost alot of data when one of the drives got hit by a virus that destroys the mft
the computer tech dude said to me, wouldn't have happened with fat32
riiiiight.... so what does that say to you? That NFTS is worse then FAT32??? Think again. It either means that the virus was specifically written to attach NFTS's, or that the "tech" dude also didn't know what he was talking about (you only need to overwrite a few bytes to render your whole holy FAT32 useless)...

quote:
and chris
Fault tolerance only works when the drive supports it
and not all drives do
Chris is talking about the built-in recovery/fault tolerance in the file system, not the one from the harddisk. As you are so experienced with FS's you should have know that...

quote:
cookie... i've been playing with hard discs before they reached the size of a cdrom bay
i've used raw fat fat32, ntfs on some server machines
i've used compressed drivers
i've been partitioning formatting low level formatting and converting hard disks since i was 8
i used to rip macs apart and piece em back together, to a working state
using drives, assembling drives, formatting drives, experiencing problems, etc, doesn't mean you know how it works "under the hood".

quote:
people have been paying me to repair computers since i was 10, and im the first person, in the entire of my suburb, that people call, when they have problems
good for you

quote:
so untill you can come back and tell me that you have a base of people and friends that big who trust me with the maintenance and repairs on there machines
just don't speak at all
I do have a "base" of people like that. And if it is all the same to you. I know also a lot of people who claim to be a computer repair man, but in fact don't know much about it and spread the same old rumours. And I also know computer repair people who come to me when they have some problems they can't fix.

quote:
i only got my it2 cert last yr, and i hardly went to any classes for that certificate

i don't read from books, which is why i know alot more about things then most people
Time to start reading then.... Most (important) stuff is in those books. Oh and also, in school you don't learn that much (if not nothing) about the things "under the hood". It is all basic stuff. And, yes, again I know what I'm talking about....

quote:
coz i've got uncles older then you, one of which works at ibm and is a hardcore lan gamer who goes to lan parties
good for you (or him)

BTW, I didn't started to compare ages and knowledge, it was you who said:
quote:
cookie. you don't wanna go up against me when it comes to file systems and issues, coz i can't say without a doubt that Fat32 is not as much as a problem as you spin doctors put on it

---

quote:
also if you do go with ntfs on a single partition use this

1. Start regedit from the run command.
2. Check out for that key called

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ FileSystem

3. Create a DWORD-variable with the name NtfsMftZoneReservation.
4. Add the value 1 = 12.5% (Windows default value) or 2 = 25%. This values are percent free Harddiskspace.
5. Reboot the system

bigger hard disks need a bigger MFT reserved space otherwise the mft won't be written and you will lose data
Duh! (oh, and they don't "need" bigger MFT reserved space at all!!! When you allocate less space then needed you will simply not be able to use the full capacity of the drive, no data will be lost at all)

This post was edited on 04-29-2005 at 03:12 PM by CookieRevised.
04-29-2005 03:09 PM
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
actually thats where your wrong

if the mft isn't big enough to store new data in, that data is lost

its the way the indexing works

if it can't be indexed its not present on the drive

the person who wrote this themselves started losing data becoz his mft was at its maximum

once he added this string to the registry he was able to save data to the drive again
04-29-2005 03:15 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The settings are done automatically when you format your drive with NFTS. And on a healthy system, Windows will warn you when it has reached the limit, result: no there is NO data loss (on a healthy system), you simply can't add more data...
04-29-2005 03:21 PM
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
actually its not done automatically

windows defaults to 12.5% of a hard disks space to reserve for the mft reserved space

on extremely large hard drives like 500gb, then its very easy to fill the reserved space completely

this is where that registry string comes in

allowing for more space to be reserved and more data to be allowed to be saved

only problem is the reserved space becomes fragmented resulting in a fragmented MFT

and when you format it goes back to the default 12.5% reserved space
04-29-2005 03:26 PM
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
Squall, how on earth did you gain this "knowledge"?
You're 18, you've probably just finished high school...
Ever seen Cookie's age? 28, yeah, he probably had a tad more education I guess....
furthermore, WDZ works with server systems a lot. on servers, It is VERY important that no data loss ever occurs, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about...

I don't know where the hell you found out about your "facts", but please keep in the back of your mind that half the internet still screams msgplus contains spyware...

EDIT:
As for the topic ;)
You should look at how you're gonna use the disk.
If you will just be using it for the current system (Windows XP), I highly recommend that you use NTFS.
However, if you're planning to sometimes bring it along to friends (a friend of me sometimes takes his HDD with him to transfer some not-so-legal files), I suggest you stick with FAT32, simply because not everyone has XP yet, and Windows 98/ME can not access NTFS filesystems :)

This post was edited on 04-29-2005 at 03:40 PM by TheBlasphemer.
[Image: theblasp.png]
04-29-2005 03:37 PM
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
well i know msgplus doesn't contain spyware

but i also know that this is a flaw within ntfs and it has been noted down by microsoft

im just informing people to be careful with it, becoz i dn't want anyone else having the same problems that i did

and cookies age means nothing to me

alot of kids younger then cookie know more then cookie and thats just life

i've known alot since before i finished high school and there was only 2 things that my it2 cert actually helped me accomplish

hit a typing speed of 80wpm with an accuracy of 99%

and how to install stuff on a Emac

which i've never done before

but i also did work placement at my local council office and i helped to sort out post network updates as they had just switched over to a 1gb server from a 100mb one

they were having some minor tcp/ip hickups

im not some kid and i do know what im talking bout

these are the problems i had and i just want people to know about them

i don't want to put people off ntfs, becoz i know it does work

it just didn't for me

and the way it bugged out on me is the same way it happened for the others

and that is when moving alot of data across which ranges in size,
and im only repeating what the email from ms actually said, and its that the large amounts of small and big files must've caused some kind of confusion in the volume bitmap

and that its (exerpt from email)

For the record this 'error' was introduced
              in windows NT 5 (Beta) RC0 which became W2K and has
              existed ever since with a few minor fixes. Previous
              versions of NTFS were rock solid relative to the
              'bitmap' error that appears like a phantom. The problem
              goes far beyond installing service packs or windows
              updates and can occur frequently. If you have a
              performance 'hit' then your 'bitmap image' could be
              damaged and needs to be repaired. If you need more
              information contact me.

i contacted him again and he told me to use partition magic to convert back to fat32 again, and then back to ntfs

i did this but the problem came back after 1 reboot

i informed him of this and he said that since the error only happens with ntfs and not fat32, and since it only happened when moving alot of data

just stick to fat32

so thats what i've done

but the bug does exist so im just putting a warning out there that this can happen

thats all i really intended

cookie is the one calling it nonsense and rumour
04-29-2005 03:50 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
well i know msgplus doesn't contain spyware
to point of TB is that lots of things are being said (on "official", "trustable" sites) and the more people say it, the more believe it, but that doesn't make it true...

quote:
cookie is the one calling it nonsense and rumour
for the last time, what I call nonsense are things like:
quote:
ntfs is more likely to go down due to errors then fat32
(...)
Fat32s file table is alot safer then NTFS's master file table
(...)
i would suggest not using any file system which indexes all data in one single file as if that file is damaged.. which btw is VERY easy to do
(...)
if you get this ntfs and defrag then you better hope to god that you don't use the windows defragmenter
(...)
NTFS is going to be soon outdated as the WINFS file system will soon become available via a windows update
(...)
the WINFS is already supported by windows xp
(...)
Fat32 is the better operating system
(...)
Stability wise, performance wise (when considering ntfs has to update everyfile as its used which slows things down) FAT32 is better
(...)
i believe this is becoz the windows backup utility builds one solid image file and not move the files themselves
(...)
IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THIS EXTERNAL DRIVE AS A BACKUP DRIVE OR STORE LARGE AMOUNTS OF SMALL AND LARGE DATA ON IT THE SUGGESTION FROM MICROSOFT ITSELF IS TO PARTITION IT SEVERAL WAYS AND FORMAT IT FAT32
(...)
Partition the drive with seagate disc wizard as partition magic causes the drive to have to many logical blocks for some reason rendering the drive unbootable as such
(...)
4kb clusters are the best becoz they prevent space wastage
(...)
partition magic will not allow alot of discs to be partitioned to fat32 at 4k but seagate discwizard does it well
(...)
i would suggest 4 125gb partitions allowing 4 new drives
(...)
etc...

And there is a big difference in expressing your experience and expressing facts....

This post was edited on 04-29-2005 at 04:18 PM by CookieRevised.
04-29-2005 04:15 PM
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
well its just that some bios's don't support over 125gb partitions so by splitting the hard disk that way would increase support

who cares about facts

what is a fact in this world?

i can tell you a fact is just a belief till someone proves it

and i and many other people who got this error proved it

so that makes it a fact

This post was edited on 04-29-2005 at 04:45 PM by squall_leonhart69r.
04-29-2005 04:42 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: