What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Bug Report: Problem with Gmail POP3

Bug Report: Problem with Gmail POP3
Author: Message:
renda

O.P. Bug Report: Problem with Gmail POP3
Bug Report: Problem with Gmail POP3

Summary
The POP3 Email feature is not properly functional when it is used to check Gmail account.

Symptoms
I am sure that all parameters of Messenger Plus! POP3 Email feature are correctly configured in accordance with my Gmail account. However, when I clicked the "Test Settings" button, I got an error alert indicating "Unable to connect to server. Please check your settings or retry some later."

Furthermore, it seems that Messenger Plus! will block Outlook Express to connect to Gmail POP3 server for a short time after it fails to communicate with Gmail POP3 server. When I attempted to check mail in Outlook Express, I got an error from Outlook Express which reads "Failed to connect to server. Account: 'xxxxxx@gmail.com', server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, SSL: Yes, Socket Error: 10061, Error Code: 0x800CCC0E". After I kill the MsgPlus.exe process from the Task Manager, Outlook Express works well.

However, Gmail Notifier (downloaded from Gmail.com) works fine.

Notes:
1. I am not sure for the English translations of either the button caption or the message texts, since all programs installed in my computer are localized release in non-English language.
2. I am sure that I have unloaded Gmail Notifier from memory and disabled antivirus software before I attempted to enable Messenger Plus! POP3 Email feature.
3. I have tried to add a port rule to admit TCP:995 connection in Windows Internet Firewall, but the issue insists. Finally, I disabled Windows Internet Firewall, and it's also useless.

Relevant Software Info
Messenger Plus! 3.52.130 - April 13th 2005
MSN Messenger 7.0 (Build 7.0.0777)
Windows XP Professional/Service Pack 2 (Version 5.1.2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519) with all updates installed.
Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 (Engine 51.1.0.15), however, it was DISABLED when the symptoms was experienced.

Note: All of above-mentioned softwares are officially localized versions in Simplified Chinese language)

P.S.
Please be aware that the issue described here is not same as the one discussed in thread MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations. Actually, for my experience, MsgPlus failed to connect to the server, instead of reporting wrong number of unread mails (in that case, POP3-SSL conection has already been successfully established...)

This post was edited on 04-27-2005 at 02:33 AM by renda.
04-27-2005 01:40 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: