What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Major slowdown + clicking

Major slowdown + clicking
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. Undecided  Major slowdown + clicking
Well lately my system (you know...the nice one :rolleyes:) has been running very slowly. It's not the ram (for example - right now there are 300+ MB free). I think it may be the HDD. Once in a while I hear a loud clicking noise coming from the tower - banging on the side usually stops this, but it has me worried.

I used the "Western Digital" system check and it finds nothing wrong with the HDD, but I'm not so sure. Anyone have any advice?

Ntoe: I do regular disk defrags, I have 2 anti-ware programs installed + Norton A/V 2004 w/ current def.s.

This post was edited on 04-27-2005 at 08:10 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
04-27-2005 08:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: Major slowdown + clicking
Humm the barings may be off in the HD, I'd keep your stuff backed up on CD just to be safe. There's nothing really you can do to help or fix this. I'd just use it till it dies (Y)
[Image: top.gif]
04-28-2005 12:16 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
it isnt a Fan is it?.. Case fan or any other Fan?

My Suggestions Blade, is to Open the case up an turn it on an listen to it exactly where hte noise is,, could easily be a fan which is making the noise,  iv'e just had a Fan shit itself but its no big great deal an  it was making a hirrid noise, turned out it was the fan underneath the Power Supply which are pretty dirt cheap to replace,

This post was edited on 04-28-2005 at 12:29 AM by Hank.
04-28-2005 12:25 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Major slowdown + clicking

quote:
Originally posted by Demz
it isnt a Fan is it?.. Case fan or any other Fan?

My Suggestions Blade, is to Open the case up an turn it on an listen to it exactly where hte noise is,, could easily be a fan which is making the noise,  iv'e just had a Fan shit itself but its no big great deal an  it was making a hirrid noise, turned out it was the fan underneath the Power Supply which are pretty dirt cheap to replace,

I've tried, but I can't seem to pinpoint it. It's rather the intake fan or the HDD.
04-28-2005 03:48 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i think i know what u mean now .. i seem to be getting the Noise now in my PC but from what i asked me mate todat who works in computers an he is pretty qualified,  he aint sold me dud stuff,  :) . put ur hand down near  the HDD's an see if that slows or stops the noise on he side of the case,  if it does, u got nothing to worry bout but it might be something to keep an eye on , its a Western Digital Drive aint it?.. im not a Great fan of them

This post was edited on 04-28-2005 at 04:05 AM by Hank.
04-28-2005 04:02 AM
Caboose

35 / Male / –
I kind of had this problem before, too. I heard one of my HD's click, like it hit the side of the case, then my comp would freeze just seconds after. I opened it up, tightened the screws on the HD's, and I haven't had a problem since. Maybe you should try that :)
04-28-2005 04:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Major slowdown + clicking
quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
I kind of had this problem before, too. I heard one of my HD's click, like it hit the side of the case, then my comp would freeze just seconds after. I opened it up, tightened the screws on the HD's, and I haven't had a problem since. Maybe you should try that :)

ty for the info dude, i might see if thats my issue to, live in ope thats all, i had enuff of Noises from the pc to last me a long time :)
04-28-2005 08:26 AM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Major slowdown + clicking
Actually - I figured out the clicking. It was totally different than I thought.

Turns out one of the rubber stops on the bottom of the case was a TINY TINY bit smaller than the rest, so when I typed I shook the table JUST enough to start clicking :|

But I haven't yet figured out the slowdown :(
04-28-2005 03:05 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: