What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program.

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program.
Author: Message:
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program.
With DAP the downloads never showed up for rapid share so I stopped using it, but it was great.
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
05-05-2005 04:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

(note and important difference where many people make an error: downloading faster does not mean increase download speed, but means decrease needed time to download!)

Well the total download speed is what im talking about. Not for a single file. Yes it decreases time for a download but wont that mean its going faster?
05-05-2005 04:21 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
quote:
(note and important difference where many people make an error: downloading faster does not mean increase download speed, but means decrease needed time to download!)
Well the total download speed is what im talking about.
No you can not increase the total "download speed". This is a fixed value and depends on the type of connection and ISP (and/or the amount of download speed you're already using for other stuff of course).

quote:
Yes it decreases time for a download but wont that mean its going faster?
yes, and that's just what I said:
quote:
when talking about download accelarators:
"downloading faster" does not mean "increase download speed"
"downloading faster" means "decrease needed time to download"

When talking about such things, do not confuse "download speed" with "the time to download".

When using download accelerators, your download speed will still be the same!!!! But because download accelerators download multiple parts of the same file at once, the total time needed for downloading the entire file is shorter:

a file of 1 megabyte (10248576 bytes) will take at 200kbps:
* normally: 10248576 / (200*1024/8) = 40.96 seconds
* with an accelarator which splits the file in 10 chuncks which simaltaniously download: 10248576 / (200*1024/8) / 10 = 4.096 seconds

Note that the download speed, in both cases, is 200kbps, this will not change at all!! The error comes from people confusing "speed" with "time". Speed is a quantity, measured in kbps; time in seconds, not vice versa. And/or the confussion between "download speed" and "download stream" (both measured in kbps)

So, another smaller mistake, but with big consequences, is to say that the download speed in the second case is 10 times 200 kbps, thus 2000 kbps. In a sense this is correct, but not if you're talking about download accelerators, as this is very confussing and even wrong as the download speed never changed. It is the download stream that increases to 2000 kbps.

Another note to the story is that some servers have a cap on the total amount of download stream allowed for one particular IP. If the server only allows a total download stream of 200kbps, then no matter how many connections you have to the source file, the total download stream will always be 200kbps (and thus the download time will not be decreased). This is the reason why some people say download accelerators do not work.

The same goes for your own ISP connection speed/stream. You can't download faster then your ISP allows you to, no matter how many download accelerators you use...

This post was edited on 05-05-2005 at 04:47 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-05-2005 04:38 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
I used to use dap but when i installed ff (firefox) then it sotpped comming up cause then ff used its own downloader. The prob with that is that ff's downloader is a bit slower in my experience wrt dap.
So i unisntalled it ... i was wondering if i install it now and make it the default downloader then will this happen ??
Also ff's downloader doenst resume for me :dodgy:
So i wanted to use dap so i was just wondering :D
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
05-05-2005 04:45 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I used to use dap but when i installed ff (firefox) then it sotpped comming up cause then ff used its own downloader. The prob with that is that ff's downloader is a bit slower in my experience wrt dap.
So i unisntalled it ... i was wondering if i install it now and make it the default downloader then will this happen ??
Also ff's downloader doenst resume for me :dodgy:
So i wanted to use dap so i was just wondering :D
As with all programs which do the same: the one installed last will take over unless you (re-)configure the previous one...

Thus, simply set DAP as your default downloader and/or reconfigure it...
05-05-2005 04:50 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
As with all programs which do the same: the one installed last will take over unless you (re-)configure the previous one...
That one i knew ... i meant is dap compatible with ff ??
I need brower integration cause i dont start dap with my system (i cant load everything now can i :P Only the bare necessities like av and firewall and ... 8-) Whatpulse :P)
So i needed to know if i click on the link then will it open dap then download ??
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
05-05-2005 04:57 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Yes, integrates with MSIE, Opera, Netscape/Mozilla based (all individual selectable)
05-05-2005 05:03 AM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Ive got to recommend a Download Accelerator program.
Is there a way to configure the FireFox downloader to connect to a server more then once?

Basically can you make the firefox downloader simaller to a download accelerator.
05-05-2005 06:12 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Is there a way to configure the FireFox downloader to connect to a server more then once?

Basically can you make the firefox downloader simaller to a download accelerator.
IIRC it already does that. The method of connecting more then once to a server to download stuff is called "piping", if I'm not mistaken. And this is already supported by FF and other mozilla based browsers...
05-05-2005 01:53 PM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
I found out why I couldn't use DAP with rapid share! Blah, it says on the main page that download accelerators are only for Premium-Members.
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
05-05-2005 02:04 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: