What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » contact sign in/sign out sounds

contact sign in/sign out sounds
Author: Message:
heng03313

O.P. contact sign in/sign out sounds
i am on XP, sp2, msn 7.0.0777 and plus! 3.52.130

i am trying to make msn play a different sound for each individual contact when they sign in/out

i have tried all ways but i jus cant get it to play a specific sound... it jus goes 'Ding' for all the contacts.

i need help, a complete 'walkthrough' of how to do it will be good

some of my settings that may be useful to determine my problem:

a) msnmessenger:
    tools > options > alerts and sounds > all 4 check box checked

b) Plus!:
    i) Plus! > preferences > general options > sounds > all checkbox checked, drop down menu shows '10'
    ii) Plus! > preferences > notifications > sounds > 'enable contact sign-in & sign-out sound notifications' checked
    iii) Plus! > preferences > notifications > sounds > *contact i want to assign a sound on sign-in* > *sound selected, played correctly, .wav file*
    vi) Plus! > preferences > notifications > popup options > 'enable messenger plus! notification windows' checked, other 2 check-box unchecked
    v) Plus! > preferences > notifications > popup defaults > all check-box unchecked

i have tried all combinations of the check boxes. nothing worked
i assigned sounds to the contact AND to the group he is in, and when he sign-ins, it still goes 'Ding' - the msn default
i tried signing out and in again after i have changed my settings, stills goes 'Ding'
i tried to close messenger window after i changed my settings and it still goes 'Ding'
i tried the 'save/load' on the bottom left and it still goes 'Ding'
to every contact that sign-ins, it just keep on going 'Ding', 'Ding', 'Ding' and 'Ding'
have not tried restarting computer after changing settings because a restart of msn messenger would be sufficient

05-06-2005 10:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: contact sign in/sign out sounds
quote:
Originally posted by heng03313
a) msnmessenger:
    tools > options > alerts and sounds > all 4 check box checked
Click on the "Sounds" button, a new window will appear. There go to the "Sounds" tab and navigate to "MSN Messenger" in the listbox and remove the "ding" sound which is linked to "Contact Online".

(This will make it so that MSN Messenger will not use this suond anymore to signal that a contact has come online. But this also means you must assign a sound to each individual contact in Messenger Plus!, otherwise you wont have any sound)

quote:
b) Plus!:
    i) Plus! > preferences > general options > sounds > all checkbox checked, drop down menu shows '10'

The settings under "Custom Emoticon Sounds" are totaly unrelated to the issue.

quote:
    ii) Plus! > preferences > notifications > sounds > 'enable contact sign-in & sign-out sound notifications' checked
    iii) Plus! > preferences > notifications > sounds > *contact i want to assign a sound on sign-in* > *sound selected, played correctly, .wav file*
good

quote:
    vi) Plus! > preferences > notifications > popup options > 'enable messenger plus! notification windows' checked, other 2 check-box unchecked
    v) Plus! > preferences > notifications > popup defaults > all check-box unchecked
all unrelated and for notification popups only

So, to recap, the only thing you need to do is:

1) MSN Messenger > Tools > Options > Alerts and sounds > all 4 check box checked

2) in that same window, click on the "Sounds" button, a new window will appear. There go to the "Sounds" tab and navigate to "MSN Messenger" in the listbox and remove the "ding" sound which is linked to "Contact Online".

3) Plus! > Preferences > Notifications > Sounds > check "enable contact sign-in & sign-out sound notifications"

4) in that same window, assign the sounds to your contacts

note: you don't need to restart MSN Messenger, nor your computer. The settings should be effective as soon as you press the "apply" button.

This set up works fine on all the systems I've tested...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-06-2005 12:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
serendipity

– / Female / –
RE: contact sign in/sign out sounds
I had the same problem.Most of the times the different sound notifications refused to play.I could only hear the messenger default sound.Till recently when I downloaded and installed the Hopper plugin.Now all notifications sounds play as they should be.Dont know if it would help you.Maybe I was just lucky and its not related.
05-06-2005 01:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: