What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Checking MSN Messenger's version number

Checking MSN Messenger's version number
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  Checking MSN Messenger's version number
I always wondered, when I go to Microsoft's official MSN download website, http://messenger.msn.com/ , nowhere in that page does it show the version and build number of the client being downloaded, am I missing something?
05-06-2005 07:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
obbin

RE: Checking MSN Messenger's version number
go to msn main window press menu help --> about msn messenger. i little window should appear with som information (including version number Ex. 8.0.0088)
05-06-2005 08:06 AM
alegator

O.P. RE: RE: Checking MSN Messenger's version number
quote:
Originally posted by obbin
go to msn main window press menu help --> about msn messenger. i little window should appear with som information (including version number Ex. 8.0.0088)

Yes, I know that. What I meant is that at the official MSN Microsoft website they don't provide any information on the version/build number of the client they offer for download so I was wondering if I was missing something from the site.
05-06-2005 08:11 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I don't think so. I'm sure they used to have build numbers there, but they haven't since the release of v7 at least.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-06-2005 08:51 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I don't think so. I'm sure they used to have build numbers there, but they haven't since the release of v7 at least.

I've never known them to have it there, I've always had to learn the version off of other people telling me and stuff, or just using the (!VER) command with Messenger Plus!

Just search Mess.be news and it will tell you the current version that is out...
05-06-2005 09:39 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
They used to have the version number on their help pages for version 5 and 6 as far as I can remember. But yea, they don't have it anymore.. so you never really know if a new version was released or not until you hear other news about it or it tries to auto-update, which is really annoying.

This post was edited on 05-06-2005 at 10:01 AM by Ahmad.
05-06-2005 10:01 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: Checking MSN Messenger's version number
I wonder why they do that. Not only they don't show the versionnumber, they never announce a new version either. So inconvenient por upgraders...weird
05-06-2005 01:39 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
Yeah, I noticed that, didn't make any sense. I always check on mess.be now, which I would prefer not having to going to the hassle of doing.
However it was most likely removed so that less computer literate users didn't get confused with things that they don't understand. Everything has to be extremely user-friendly now, and they don't put things on that some people may not understand. However there is introducing this policy so everyone is happy and going overboard, imo, this is going overboard. How could a version number confuse people and end up in them not downloading the software.
I may be wrong in this assumption, but I think I will e-mail Microsoft and ask them if they will put it back. Ok, yeah it is a little sad, but why not.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
05-06-2005 02:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: