What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » [split] Need help removing the sponsor

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[split] Need help removing the sponsor
Author: Message:
PenguinBoy

indude

35 / Male / –
RE: [split] Need help removing the sponsor
hmmm, well after avg deleting it the first time, it won't let me download it a seccond.
so i'm just gonna take MenthiX's guide...
still dno whether or not to uninstall my current msg plus 1st of all or not. i think so... so i am.
05-07-2005 03:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [split] Need help removing the sponsor
quote:
Originally posted by PenguinBoy
i'm also having a problem removing the sponsor and the guide isn't helping me. i clumbsily installed the sponsor on a msgplus! update. i followed the said procediure, but when i got to the last step...

"The sponsor screen is now displayed (if you don't see it, search for it in your Task Bar). To prove that someone is currently reading the screen, you have to type the code that is displayed. See screenshot below for an example. Once you enter the code, press Uninstall."

... no "sponsor screen" was showed. so i clicked change/remove again and it said something like "Note:Msgplus! detects that you do not have the sponsor installed" but after looking back on IE and onto the desktops, it still persists.
That is quite normal, when you don't follow the instructions, and thus don't enter the validation number in the validation screen, nothing is removed at all.

Any additional action you take will not result in removing the sponsor in any way...

quote:
so i went back to the Add/Remove programs window. and decided for uninstalling msg altogether and reinstalling it without the sponsor. so i uninstalled msgplus, and to my horror the sponsor remains!
yes, because you didn't follow the instructions. This is not a bug in the removal process...

quote:
ok, this time the sponsor screen still didn't appear, but it uninstalled anyway :S:S strange. i don't know what just happened but i'm sponsor free and content
Nothing has been uninstalled!

quote:
but OH NO, i did say that i had successfully managed to get rid of the sponsor.  I can now tell you that it has suddenly reappeared! this is super annoying! It has just suddenly come back, i've got no idea how
Thus... nothing reappeared at all, the sponsor was never removed in the first place!

quote:
i mean, the plugins and stuff were acting a bit wierdly after i somehow got rid of the virus and i kept getting "messenger plus needs to repair"
What virus? So only now you're telling us that a virus has created havoc on your system? Mention such things in your first post in the futur ;)

quote:
I badly need to get rid of this ASS of a sponsor GRR.
When you are asked to close every MSIE window, do so...
When you are asked to type the validation number in the validation screen, do so...
If you don't see a validation screen, then search for it, it SURE is there, probably behind some other open windows. So close/minimize everything you don't need...

quote:
k i'm gonna reinstall... again
should i uninstally msgplus! first?
No, you should follow the instructions given in this thread and in:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

And may I point out the important sentence:
quote:
The sponsor screen is now displayed (if you don't see it, search for it in your Task Bar)

So in short and to recap:
  1. Make sure your computer is absolutely virus free!
  2. Close AVG completely, as it is very destructive and wont allow some programs to run decently if you didn't set it up properly
  3. Redownload Messenger Plus! from http://www.msgplus.net/
  4. Reinstall Messenger Plus! WITH the sponsor (no this is not a typo, the sponsor needs to be reinstalled to fix the uninstaller)
  5. Go to "add/remove programs" and search for "Messenger Plus!". Click on "Remove" or "Uninstall".
  6. Check the option "Uninstall the sponsor program only"
  7. The sponsor screen is now displayed (if you don't see it, search for it in your windows task bar and/or minimize every other window which you aren't using). To prove that someone is currently reading the screen, you have to type the code that is displayed. See screenshot below for an example. Once you enter the code, press "Uninstall" and confirm the next messagebox with "yes".
    [Image: sponsor_uninstall.jpg]
  8. Now wait till Messenger Plus! says it is finished and wait till the sponsor uninstall says it is finished.
  9. Close every open MSIE window (but do not attempt to use Task Manager to kill "iexplore.exe" processes!).
  10. Reboot your computer.

This post was edited on 05-07-2005 at 03:44 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-07-2005 03:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
That's why i recommend in my video guide to not use scanners as it will create damage instead of fixing your computer. Look how hard it is when you use a scanner of some sort.
05-07-2005 03:44 PM
PenguinBoy

indude

35 / Male / –
soz bout calling it a virus, i meant adware, twas an easy accident to make. (even if annoying, sowi)

and i had already read the removal instructions. but this computer has been messing arround.

it wasn't in my task bar! nor anywhere else(i did look)!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Nothing has been uninstalled!
the bar was gone from ie, and the icons were no longer on the desktop. i thought it had uninstalled!

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
in case the sponsor uninstaller was damaged by any anti spyware tools.
i think that's probably what had happened, i must have done something unintentionally in a routine spyware scan/remove.

i uninstalled msgplus! and then the Uninstall verification appeared and i typed in the code and now the spyware has uninstalled.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:Originally posted by PenguinBoy
    k i'm gonna reinstall... again
    should i uninstally msgplus! first?

No, you should follow the instructions given in this thread and in:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

the problem was, that the said guidelines weren't working, now it's clear that it was probably because the uninstaller had been damaged by S&D. thanks for the help though monseur cookie.
05-07-2005 03:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
thanks for the help though monseur cookie.
lol, you're the first one to call me sir :D... You can call me just Cookie also though ;) ... anyways, luckely everything seems to be fixed now, and sorry for the inconvenience the sponsor may have caused...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-07-2005 08:54 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: