What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Speakers to Earphones and back

Speakers to Earphones and back
Author: Message:
Maniac

Posts including T&T: 1684

36 / Male / –
O.P. Huh?  Speakers to Earphones and back
I have a headset with mic/earphones that is a usb plug. It's easy to just plug it at the front of the pc in one of the usb ports. However i also have speakers connected to the back... now when i plug the usb at the front the sound still comes out from the speakers... is there a way to alternate this without venturing under my desk to the back and unplugging the speakers?
[Image: maniacsig0pb.jpg]
*It took Jesus 3 days to respawn! Talk about lag!* :rofl:
05-18-2005 09:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Speakers to Earphones and back
Try...
1. Control Panel
2. Sounds and Audio Devices
3. Speaker Settings, Advanced
4. Set the speaker setup to Stereo Headphones
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-18-2005 10:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by chris4
Try...
1. Control Panel
2. Sounds and Audio Devices
3. Speaker Settings, Advanced
4. Set the speaker setup to Stereo Headphones
This will do nothing except incrementing the output volume and altering the soundscape.

That setting is not for selecting which output to use...

quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
I have a headset with mic/earphones that is a usb plug. It's easy to just plug it at the front of the pc in one of the usb ports. However i also have speakers connected to the back... now when i plug the usb at the front the sound still comes out from the speakers... is there a way to alternate this without venturing under my desk to the back and unplugging the speakers?
Some motherboards can detect this and will automatically switch the output to the front plug. But also many motherboards do not detect this though (mainly older ones), it really depends on your motherboard type and brand. I also doubt you can switch this beheviour on/off on such motherboards in Windows, but I may be wrong on this. However, it is very well possible that you can switch this beheviour on/off with a jumper on your motherboard.

The only thing you can try to do in such case is to make your own hardware switch or buy a switchbox or something. (although such switchboxes which also include switching audio input/output from 2 computers to 1 are expensive, especially if you're only going to use it as an audio switcher)

This post was edited on 05-20-2005 at 05:15 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-18-2005 10:50 PM
Maniac

Posts including T&T: 1684

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Speakers to Earphones and back
Hmmm you said some do it automatically... i just played a video and it directly switched to the earphones... i thought the sound was off because the music right before was on the speakers ... :s

Hmmm nevermind... i just have to close WMP and reopen it everytime i plug/unplug and tadaa.... I love you cookie :)
[Image: maniacsig0pb.jpg]
*It took Jesus 3 days to respawn! Talk about lag!* :rofl:
05-18-2005 10:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Hmmm nevermind... i just have to close WMP and reopen it everytime i plug/unplug and tadaa.... I love you cookie :)
That's rather a very strange thing/beheviour though... And rather sounds like some settings are messed up, because that beheviour is not normal/logic...

This post was edited on 05-20-2005 at 05:16 PM by CookieRevised.
05-18-2005 11:00 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
Huh?  Sound Output Question...
well, im on my new computer (xmas...) but i still havent figured this out.

on my older computer if i plug a set of headphones or speakers into the headphone jack on the front, the speakers or whatever audio device is plugged into the audio output jack on the back get cut of (as they are ment to AFAIK...)

but on my new one, if you plug headfones in music continues to be output from both jacks...

1 - why?
2 - is there a way to change it?

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
05-20-2005 04:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Sound Output Question...
I read about this somewhere, mine doesn't do this. when plugged in the front it stops the speakers, what manufacturer is your PC? I'll look for the info..

This post was edited on 05-20-2005 at 05:08 PM by mwe99.
05-20-2005 05:07 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Sound Output Question...
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
I read about this somewhere, mine doesn't do this. when plugged in the front it stops the speakers, what manufacturer is your PC?

lol, it isnt, its custom built, afaik theres not 2 things that are made by the same company.. lol

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Read the very recent thread "Speakers to Earphones and back".
And especially what I've replied to Maniac ;)

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Some motherboards can detect this and will automatically switch the output to the front plug. But also many motherboards do not detect this though (mainly older ones), it really depends on your motherboard type and brand. I also doubt you can switch this beheviour on/off on such motherboards in Windows, but I may be wrong on this. However, it is very well possible that you can switch this beheviour on/off with a jumper on your motherboard.

The only thing you can try to do in such case is to make your own hardware switch or buy a switchbox or something. (although such switchboxes which also include switching audio input/output from 2 computers to 1 are expensive, especially if you're only going to use it as an audio switcher)

PS: I also report this thread to be merged with the one I mentioned because this is exactly the same subject and you only asked a specific question (to know more about the beheviour)...

thanks, its not a problem really because it allows me to play music from my pc, through my stereo and through my set of speakers...its quite usefull actually but i didnt think it was ment to happen which is why i asked.. thanks:D

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
05-20-2005 05:09 PM
Zephyr

monster.rat

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
thanks, its not a problem really because it allows me to play music from my pc, through my stereo and through my set of speakers...its quite usefull actually but i didnt think it was ment to happen which is why i asked.. thanks

When it does this, doesn't it split the sound between the two outputs?
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
05-20-2005 06:22 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
thanks, its not a problem really because it allows me to play music from my pc, through my stereo and through my set of speakers...its quite usefull actually but i didnt think it was ment to happen which is why i asked.. thanks
When it does this, doesn't it split the sound between the two outputs?
No. Sound is just an electric signal. This isn't "split". If you put a signal on end A, the same signal will be on end B as well as on C

/---- B
A --<
        \---- C
05-20-2005 06:33 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: