What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » dvd player help

dvd player help
Author: Message:
Savior

O.P. dvd player help
Hi,

Can you tell me what dvd players play NTSC and PAL format dvd's  I need an all in one solution with no region coding.

Thanks
05-22-2005 03:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: dvd player help
Are you talking about on the PC?

If you are then you can find programs that will trick almost any DVD Player into thinking it's allowed to play any region DVDs.

If you're talking about a physical one then you're out of luck.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
05-22-2005 03:47 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by .blade//
Not true. My DVD player plays both NTSC and PAL formats, and players that do this have been out for a while.
I've heard this one is good;
CyberHome CH-DVD 300S
Also my Philips DVDR-610 supports NTSC playback.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
05-22-2005 04:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Savior
Hi,

Can you tell me what dvd players play NTSC and PAL format dvd's  I need an all in one solution with no region coding.

Thanks
You are asking two very different things:
- NTSC/PAL format
- Region codes

Those two have nothing todo with eachother.

For both things there are aswell hardware "solutions" as software solutions.

NTSC/PAL format: Most players of today support both formats. But you also need a software that can play those two formats in the correct way (NTSC has a higher framerate (30fps) aposed to 25fps for PAL, but has a slightly lower quality, aka number of scanlines than PAL). Most software of today also supports both formats.

Region code: now this is a different story. Almost all DVD drives are not region free. This means they are made for a specific region. The region code is fixed within the firmware (aka chipset) of the DVD drive. You can often change this to another region code, but only 5 times!!! After that the region code is fixed forever. So be extremely carefull if you do that!

In some cases, the manufacture of the DVD drive offers a firmware upgrade to make your drive region free. But this costs big money for obvious reasons, see below.

Now, there are also software programs which can trick the DVD drive into thinking it is a region free drive. These programs act like loaders and patch DVD player programs. Thus these programs are often specific for a particular software. But, remember that such programs are actually hacking tools and are illegal. Although nobody will sue you if you just use it to play an American DVD on an European DVD drive...

Why are there bloody d*mn region codes? Another invention to make our life hard? Well actually, they are another measurement against illegal copying and above all distributing of DVD discs (so blame the guys/girls who illegal copy DVD disc for profit etc..) Movies often come out in America first. By the time they are available on DVD there, they still are playing in the theaters in Europe. To overcome the illegal and mass distribution of American DVDs to Europe, they "invented" the region codes... (PS: don't start a discussion on how on earth can they loose money by preventing overseas distribution, because they DO loose money and it is more complicated then people think, taxes and import rights and copyrights, etc are all involved here)

Now to come to the answer to your question: Just look around and look in the specs of a particualr DVD drive. There is NO strait answer to your questions, as a certain type of DVD drive can have region code 2 in one country and region code 5 in another. Region free DVD drives often cost a whole lot more (because you also actually pay for the taxes and import rights, etc for such drives you otherwise would not when buying a region locked drive).

As for NTSC/PAL playback software and DVD drives, don't bother searching. Almost all DVD playback software and DVD drives can handle the two formats. (In fact, I never came across a program which doesn't support the two, and only very old DVD drives support only 1 format)

As for region unlocking programs, those are illegal, but you know where to look for them...

This post was edited on 05-22-2005 at 05:19 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-22-2005 05:18 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Originally posted by .blade//
Not true. My DVD player plays both NTSC and PAL formats, and players that do this have been out for a while.
I've heard this one is good;
CyberHome CH-DVD 300S
Also my Philips DVDR-610 supports NTSC playback.

I didn't say a DVD player couldn't be used for NTSC AND PAL, but there's also the region coding to look for.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
05-22-2005 05:58 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
<offtopic>
If they released films in all markets simultaneously, they wouldn't need region coding. And we wouldn't get American sites spoiling plotlines for us Europeans.
</offtopic>
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-22-2005 06:03 PM
Savior

O.P. RE: dvd player help
Just a stand alone dvd player for my TV..my PC Dvd player plays everything under the sun
05-23-2005 02:18 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Phillips DVD/Karaoke Player DVP532K/75 can play NTSC and PAL (and can convert NTSC signal to PAL it your TV is PAL only).

Did you know that manufacturers sometimes build *cough* secret *cough* backdoor codes into some of their products, which allow you to change settings that the user normally cannot.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
05-23-2005 06:29 AM
Savior

O.P. RE: dvd player help
problen=m solved
05-24-2005 05:04 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites