What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » What a great program and crappy

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
What a great program and crappy
Author: Message:
Pi$$ed off

O.P. What a great program and crappy
way to fund it. I would have been happy to pay for this but after missing the adware box on start and then not even being able to remove it with PestPatrol paid support $50 !!!!  I dont think so.

Sure a harmless search bar is no biggie but once you allow that there is no control. Patchou, this sucks.  Think of a better way.

I just reformatted and Plus is NOT going back on.

Rich
05-25-2005 05:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: What a great program and crappy
Read How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
05-25-2005 05:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Veggie

37 / Male / Flag
You should of posted on here asking how to uninstall the sponser there was no need to reformat.

Removing Sponsor is how you remove it.

Also what have you learned? read what your installing (y)

edit: damn lopardo beat me...

This post was edited on 05-25-2005 at 05:31 PM by Veggie.
05-25-2005 05:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Read the guide in my sig noob, it's all you need saves you money and frmotaing your pc. And btw that serach bar is optional (meaning you don't have to have it if you did not want to read the installer)
05-25-2005 05:46 PM
Pi$$ed off

O.P. RE: What a great program and crappy
I went through the remove sponsor steps as listed. But it did not remove the other stuff that came along after the door was opened.

The add-remove programs worked fine for the search bar, etc but the others would not come off.

And yes, I am positive it started with the install of the plus program. The problem is once you accept the search stuff that is bundled with the software (which I totally missed) you are wide open to the doings of the adware people and it is out of the hands of Patchou.

Thanks for the responses. Like I said its a great program, but dont like (my opinion) the method used to fund it.

Rich
05-25-2005 05:51 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pi$$ed off
I went through the remove sponsor steps as listed. But it did not remove the other stuff that came along after the door was opened.

The add-remove programs worked fine for the search bar, etc but the others would not come off.

And yes, I am positive it started with the install of the plus program. The problem is once you accept the search stuff that is bundled with the software (which I totally missed) you are wide open to the doings of the adware people and it is out of the hands of Patchou.

Thanks for the responses. Like I said its a great program, but dont like (my opinion) the method used to fund it.

Rich

Well many people don't like the funding way and you should ask the forum for help removing it. I'm glad you said adware and not spyware but i trust c2media, no damage on my computer was caused :)
05-25-2005 05:54 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pi$$ed off
you are wide open to the doings of the adware people
No you're not.
Any adware/stuff that appeared around the same time will have arrived no matter what i.e. it came through the inherent insecurity in Windows and IE.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-25-2005 05:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
rctempire

First off, yes it was your fault as the user to install the software, so you should read the installers of every program first!

But i would have you know that ad-aware and spybot (and now Microsofts Antispyware) and all PROPER anti-spyware tools all recieve prositives of the sponsor program. Now, at work we use 30+ programs to remove spyware, and i can tell you it takes 4 to remove this totaly.

Adaware
Spybot - Search and Destroy
Xcleaner(free edition) and
Microsofts AntiSpyware.

All these tools detects the sponsor program and also remove it, without any problems to your computer, as suggested in that video. Which is partially untrue.
05-25-2005 10:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
It doesn't take 4, it takes 1: the Plus uninstaller :P:P:P
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-25-2005 11:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pi$$ed off

O.P. RE: What a great program and crappy
Well it appears that everyone has had different results. I remember installing this on my daughters computer and removing the sponsor stuff afterwards (yea sometimes I do the next next next thing in a hurry during install...) and it took it off fine.

Whatever came with it this time did NOT remove with the plus uninstall program. I had microsoft spyware beta running at the time and probably *again* made the mistake of allowing something I shouldn't during the install. I bought and installed Pest Patrol and it removed it but would come right back.  3 hours on the phone with PestPatrol and we still could not shake it.

I have NO DOUBT, the intentions of Patchou are nothing but the best and I have no doubt there is nothing that compares to messenger plus. BUT, I think we are foolish if we try to make concrete statements about what the adware does or doesnt do on any given day. Adware is a variable and when we allow any instance of it, we have no idea what their tactics are.  Kinda like allowing a thief you kinda trust into your house. Might not be him, but the buddies he brings along.

05-26-2005 01:32 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: