What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Coding Help

Coding Help
Author: Message:
Leif902

O.P. Huh?  Coding Help
Can anyone create or help me code a plug-in that will send text based on phone button tones that are entered through the mic? This way i can chat using a phone plugged up to the computers mic by pressing:

1 for send
2 for a,b,c,A,B,C,2,1
3 for d,e,f,D,E,F,3
4 for g,h,i,G,H,I,4
5 for j,k,l,J,K,L,5
6 for m,n,o,M,N,O,6
7 for p,q,r,s,P,Q,R,S,7
8 for t,u,v,T,U,V,8
9 for w,x,y,z,W,X,Y,Z,9
* for Cursor Left
0 for space,&,(,),<,>,/,_,-,.,,,:,?,!,@,',",*,#,0
# for Cursor Right

so to type "Bob is here" in the messenger window i would press
22222#666#22#0#444#7777#0#44#33#777#331
on the keypad or phone (or whatever is emmitting the phone tones)

Hope this isn't too confusing...

Thanks -Leif902
http://www.greenmangames.vze.com

EDIT: Oh yah, I'm not very good w/ C++ but that's the language i'd need hlep in...

This post was edited on 05-29-2005 at 05:54 PM by Leif902.
05-29-2005 05:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
RE: Coding Help
First off.. Welcome to the forum.. :D..

That was a really crappy way to do that!!... :S:(
Well.. I can't really help you, but I can give you a tip at what direction you are going... But I honestly don't think this plugin will be very good... :S... sorry to tell you... Good idea, but I don't think it'll be good...

First, you need to be sure that EACH keypad has it's own Tone.... I suppose they already are since you asked this question, I at least hope you will have a decent thinking strategy that this will of course not work if the Tones are not different from eachother....
Then secondly, you(or the programmer going to help you) might need to find some source code for some Sound Comparions program, or the programmer needs to already have some knowledge in this area(By the way, this is probably not going to be the easiest part... :P)...
Third, then you need to record all the different Tone's onto your computer, and you will have to make sure that the Program can distinguse one tone from another.. This is the part where I doubt this will work... Beacuse as for most phones, and properly also yours, there is so litle difference in the tones that a simple computer program will have very difficult to disginuse one from another... You would probably have to use some very advanced code/techonolgy that you probably  would have to pay lots of $$$$ for...
Fourth, when all this has been set straight, and the program is stable enough of recognising the different keypresses you would need to build a system that is capable of handling the desired combination you want... This is probably not a big deal, but will still be a fair deal of work...
Fifth, then when all these factors and bits have been collected you can start putting everything into one plugin... And finalize it...

Conclusion:
All in all, it would (Probably) be possible, but lots of work needs to put into this, and the Outcome will most likely not compare to the hard work to create this plugin.... And the method of making it recognise from Tones is not a good idea to program, good thinking though, but not worth programming... Besides? What would you want a plugin like this for?.. Wouldn't it be 1000 times easier to just use the keyboard as normal? instead of using a phone... You will anyways have to be near your computer in order for the microphone to hear the Tones good... So, I can't see much use of this plugin....

Hope this enough info for you?... If you still want to continue you are more than welcome to see if someone wants to help... :D... I'd give it a try when it is finished, but would probably not use it much... :P...
Good luck, and hope you enjoy your stay here the forum...
05-29-2005 07:10 PM
Leif902

O.P. RE: Coding Help
Thanks for the welcome! and while i may be new to the forum (and just bad at C++) beleive me when i say i am not new to coding in general! i have thought this out extensily.

First off the tones issued by a telephone are very distinct and easily recognized by even the human ear

secondly i'm aware that this would be very impracticle for general use however you missunderstand me when i say the tones would enter through the mic... i built some hardware today that allows any standard telephone (wirless or wired) to be plugged directly into the computer to be used as a mic/speakers! This way i can already voice chat over msn anywhere in my home... I just can't send text messages... which is what i want this plug in for...

This way i can be walking around my house and recieve and send text messages using my 2.4Ghz digital phone! or just talk into it for voice chat! (btw it already recieves text messages... i set it up so that each letter sends the phone a tone... dosn't work too well since it can't distinguish between capitals and stuff and punctuation dosn't work but...) So now all thats left is letting messenger read incoming sounds! That easy!... But i think i found an easier way of doing this using gamemaker (www.gamemaker.nl) and MCI commands... thanks for the reply however... i might still concider doing this as a plug in... but w/ gm and mci it will work for say... notepad or some such thing... or mabey i'll just reinstall Dragon Naturaly Speaking Speach to Text... makes my computer run slow but would work great for this! Thanks -Leif902
www.greenmangames.vze.com
05-29-2005 09:06 PM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
RE: Coding Help
Ohhh.. I see.. That made a lot more sense.. :D..
I don't think you stated that properly in your other post...
Well if you could make it work with gamemaker and MCI it shouldn't be a hard job to create a plugin that uses this... :D..
Hopefully someone else might be able to help you out here on the forum since i'm to busy with other stuff...
Hope you get this working sometime.. :D..
05-30-2005 01:20 PM
Leif902

O.P. RE: Coding Help
Thanks, Sorry about that missunderstanding... nobody knows what i mean by anything (i don't even know some of the time :P)
I'm sure i'll get it worked out. Just have to work harder on that c++! -Leif902
http://www.greenmangames.vze.com
05-30-2005 10:02 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: