What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Do you think Shapelle Corby is guilty or innocent?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
Poll: Is Shapelle Corby Guilty?
Yes
No
I'm Unsure
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
1 votes - 5 average   Do you think Shapelle Corby is guilty or innocent?
Author: Message:
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
RE: Do you think Shapelle Corby is guilty or innocent?
All circumstantial evidence. In the end, legally the baggage handler claims mean nothing in a court. Unless they DIRECTLY link a baggage handler to tampering with specifically corbys bag...it does really mean nothing......

You can not conclusivly say she is innocent, just as you cant say she is guilty.

btw Bashir wasnt convicted over the bali bombings.....it was a lesser crime

This post was edited on 06-01-2005 at 10:54 AM by -rafy-.
Rafy.

06-01-2005 10:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
-Bogan-

35 / Male / –

now due to the situation of one of our fellow aussie facing life imprisonment in a 'not so cushy' third world detention we have somehow overlooked a few obvious factors.

australia has relaxed our laws for mariuanna over the last 10 years. if you got caught with a bag of dope like that on home soil there would be heafty fines, good behaviour bonds and a slim chance of imprisonment pending on your past criminal history.

1. with a name like shappelle, i think she has been a passive smoker since she was a wee lass.

2.your sister runs an exclusive 'warung/surf camp' in one of the worlds finest paradises where the european clientelle are quite willing to top dollar for some decent weed to take on the surf boat charters out to the reefs. further more eradicating the risks of being set up by the many undercover cops offering drugs along the popular beach fronts.

3.most australians have spent some amount of time in asia and the loose ones who have experienced the local dope can quickly tell you they have no knowledge about manicuring and storage proccess....etc
mixed with the harsh cheap asian tobaccos. we all know what a throat retching experience this can be making your holiday spliffs far and few between.

4. her father looks like a well oiled bikey and the family resides in queensland where most of australias decent weed is grown in the much abundant sunshine.

so ive come to the minority conclusion that shappelle corby is not innocent but just a silly girl who never quite thought through the consiquences of her regular drug run to bali. i feel really sorry for her but it wouldnt have even made the news if it had happened in australia.

if she gets imprisoned in indonisia its more likely she will pay her way out in a couple of years anyway.

and never again will she jeopardize her freedom. big lesson for us all.
[Image: user-bogan.gif]
06-01-2005 11:27 AM
Ash_

35 / Male / –
i think she is innocent. the Judge that convicted her (the main one not
the two lesser ones) had a ratio of like 500:0 convictions. ass you can
see he has a reputation to hold. what do they care if an Australian
get's jailed. now i might be a little extreme here but i want to see
that Judge get assisnated. and if the people who really did it get
found i think it's time we brought back Public Stonings.
[Image: jeansiger5.jpg]
06-01-2005 12:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
too much subjectivity within the Australian public, and not enough objective examination of ALL the facts.
Rafy.

06-01-2005 12:37 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ~!dylan!~
i think shes GUILTY!!!...i dont think someone could have done that
No, there is no such thing as drug rings :S

[QUOTE=Third Dimension]How can you know for sure? If she was definately innocent they would have let her off[/QUOTE]
That is what I think and many other people think.

[QUOTE=Third Dimension]Her bag was found full of drugs thats why [/QUOTE] Yes, but when you look at the facts, there is more to it than that. Anyone can say she is guilty just because they found drugs in her bag. But you have to look into it. And when you do you will ask yourself, why do people think she is guilty?

These are just my opinions anyway.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
06-01-2005 01:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Walrus

I can't believe she is getting so much publicity. Why! The media is only telling the Australian public what they want to hear....The Corby's won't do interviews with media that won't be biased towards their campaign. Frequent trips to Bali to see a sister who runs a surf business with her Balinese partner. A stuffed boogie board bag that is so stuffed with dope it would be impossible not to notice that it wasn't how you packed it let alone an extra 4.1kg of weight to carry????? How much does a boogie board weigh???? Look, everyone is so quick to point to the baggage handlers as a scapegoat. We aren't getting facts, aussies are just gullible followers of the media and what is served up to them on a platter. The ABC recently had an excellent doco on just how biased this case is...unfortunately it was on at almost midnight. I really haven't seen any facts that she is innocent. All you hear is "the poor beautician"....I bet if she was male or unattractive we wouldn't have heard a thing. Oh...the Bali Bomber....two of his accomplices are on death row. The nine other blokes...what can I say....the higher the risk, the higher the return. No sympathy here. Back to Schapelle....doesn't everyone know how important it is to have your bags locked just for this reason, let alone theft?? Also sick of these people wanting their tsunami donations back that went to Indonesia because of this. What has that got to do with anything???? Academics here have said the trial was  fair. Australians seem to think the idea that their legal system is so superior to the Indonesians. Laughable whe Australia is holding a supposed Japanese heroin importer since 1992 which Japan said would never have been convicted if she was in Japan. I just wish the Australian media would have some balls and show informed, factual, unbiased coverage.
06-07-2005 12:46 AM
alltux

Life could be good.

To me the Chapelle Corby case looks like a tragic travesty of law and justice.Where I come from at least amongst those of my circle who have a bit of travel experience the name Bali is synonymus with bribery and corruption , and certainly if we are talking about their "police" or judiciary.
I am not an Australian however I have nothing but positive and enjoyable memories of numerous long and short visits to Australia a country with a heart and people with a friendly and forthright manner.
But it is upsetting to see on the news some Australian politicians speaking about the Corby case and Indonesia as if Indonesia has a legitimate judicial system and police force and Chapelle Corby has had a fair trial.
The fact of the marijuana being in Corby's bag is the only evidence that I can find anywhere against her.
Also my knowledge of drug trafficking , like most average people I suppose , is almost nil , however don't smugglers do it for money?And couldn't that quantity of marijuana be obtained in Bali for a fraction of what it would cost to obtain in Australia ?Drug smuggling is meant to travel to "markets" where high prices will be paid for the drug isnt it?
As for why the marijuana was in Corby's luggage,whose fingerprints might be on the clear plastic bag,what motive if any she might have for having the marijuana.........none of this seems to even be considered of consequence in Bali. After all 50,000 to 100,000 rupiah is reputed to be enough to have most small crimes (real or trumped up) magically forgotten.While their "Judiciary" gives the person who kills innocent people with a bomb some ludicrously short jail sentence.
I think that in any country which had a true judicial system with real rules of evidence Corby may have been charged but by now the case would have to be dropped due to flagrant disregard for her rights as a human being.In short this woman has been treated barbarically by a society whose children are often sold into forced sex slavery to mention just one revolting behaviour that their corrupt officials have neither the will nor to intention to stop.The powers that be in Chapelle Corby's homeland should be leaping to her aid , to protect her rights and safety.Even if she were demonstrably guilty of a crime , and she certainly is not.
06-07-2005 02:18 AM
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
Had Schapelle not been an attractive young lady, I'm sure she would have received far less media coverage. Personally, I think she's innocent, solely on the fact that the whole situation seems incredibly wack - I can't believe anyone would be foolish enough to attempt smuggling 4.1 kilos of drugs without at least attempting to conceal them, especially in a place where they risk the death penalty. However, I guess the bali nine is proof that some people do make stupid mistakes.

I read several articles that mentioned much evidence that could have made a big difference in proving her innocence was botched - for example, the drugs were found in a bag which they wanted to fingerprint to see if it had in fact been handled by other people, as it was inside the larger boogie board bag. However, the police refused to fingerprint it, I think because it had been contaminated - it had been handled by several people already without gloves - including the JUDGE himself..
Basically, since you are considered guilty until proven innocent, I guess it was a losing battle for her, especially when they are unwilling to cooperate. How are you supposed to prove your innocence if they ruin all your evidence?

Anyway, I think it's funny how they said "please don't boycott us" - I don't think they understand that people don't like being sentanced to death for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
06-07-2005 02:33 AM
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
Okay here is some of the evidence from the other side of the case (The evidence the media isnt talking about)

- The package in the boogie board bag, had the EXACT dimensions as the outer pockets of the bag, and was a precise fit in Shappell's bag. The volume of the area of the bag it was found was 4.1 kg.

- Corby's father has a prior conviction for growing Hydroponic Canabis

- Hyrdoponic Canabis (which was the type found in Corby's bag) is worth alot MORE in Bali than it is in AUstralia, especially when sold to foreign tourists who dont trust indonesian made drugs.

- This is circumstancial, but there has being a break-down in the relationship between corby and her brother (who also has being arrested on drug offenses before) suggesting that her brother may have being part of it.

There are a few more points of evidence. Just read the judgement.

oh and by the way, there is NO indication that Corby did not recieve a fair trial. The judges went out their way to ensure she did recieve one. All rules of evience, of procedure, etc were followed.

She is just lucky they didnt apply the death penalty.
Rafy.

06-07-2005 02:43 AM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
I also think that she is most probably guilty, especially considering she has travelled to Bali 33 times (I realise that this can be a normal occurrance). The main thing for me is that if I picked up my bag, i would deffinately notice a 4.1kg difference in weight.
The only factor which I didnt think made sense was the fact that the drugs would be worth less in Bali, after reading what rafy said above, i cant see how she is innocent.
Being trialed for death by a judge who has prosecuted all of his criminals to the full extent of the law, she is lucky to get away with a twenty year penalty. Yes, this is far worse than 20 years in an Australian prison but she got caught with the drugs and there is nothing she can do about it.
Still this could all change with the appeals from the Corby lawyers and the prosecutors who thought that the charge was too lenient
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

06-07-2005 06:27 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites