What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Two suggestions for contacts on desktop.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Two suggestions for contacts on desktop.
Author: Message:
kien_soy

O.P. Two suggestions for contacts on desktop.
I have two suggestions for contacts being displayed in the desktop:

1.- Being able to rename the contacts on desktop independently from those on the contact list. (This way saving space on desktop with shorter names and keeping the original names an emoticons on the contact list)

2.- Being able to set up transparency level for contacts online and another transparency level for contacts offline, this way we can have transparent offline contacs and more visible the online contacts on desktop.

Thank you!
A third suggestion. It would be cool to see the contact on desktop to glow or move when it comes online.
06-09-2005 01:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
RE: Two suggestions for contacts on desktop.
quote:
Originally posted by kien_soy
A third suggestion. It would be cool to see the contact on desktop to glow or move when it comes online.
This has already been suggested to Patchou and you can read about it here
As for the other two ideas i like them but im not sure if they would be possible
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

06-09-2005 04:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
quote:
1.- Being able to rename the contacts on desktop independently from those on the contact list. (This way saving space on desktop with shorter names and keeping the original names an emoticons on the contact list)
This is already a feature, just right click on the desktop contact and click rename. 
06-09-2005 04:50 AM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
This is already a feature, just right click on the desktop contact and click rename.
It will rename the contact in the contact list also. He just wants the desktop contact renamed.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

06-09-2005 04:58 AM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
quote:
2.- Being able to set up transparency level for contacts online and another transparency level for contacts offline, this way we can have transparent offline contacs and more visible the online contacts on desktop.
OOO Me like!

Funny how i haven't thought of that one yet,....
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
06-09-2005 05:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

I like the feature to do with the transparency, the renaming feature is also available, as with the glowing or moving when online, I'm sure that already happens :s.
06-09-2005 06:50 AM
kien_soy

O.P. RE: Two suggestions for contacts on desktop.
So who is the one that takes the suggestions in consideration and says if they will be added in a future release?
06-15-2005 02:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
So who is the one that takes the suggestions in consideration and says if they will be added in a future release?

The maker of the add-on.. :) Patchou ;-)
06-15-2005 04:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Renaming floating windows separatly is a good idea and I'll probably do it in a next version. As for the transparency idea, well, I already added an option that hsould help you achieve the same result: in the preferences, you can chose to hide the windows of people who are offline. Isn't it good enough? :)
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-16-2005 03:25 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kierant

Can you still feel the butterflies?

– / Male / –
Firstly, sorry for reviving an old thread - rather that than start a new one and be naughty :P

Anyway, I stumbled across this thread when searching the forums for different levels of transparency depending on a contact's status. (Original poster's 2nd suggestion). Although Patchou responded and seemed to suggest it's a no-go I would like to add why it would be useful.

Personally, I have my desktop contacts displayed in a line above the taskbar. They are set to always on top but have a 60% transparency level. This transparency applies whether they are on or offline. I have also set them to show constantly regardless of the contacts' status:

[Image: one2zk.th.jpg]

Therefore, with my settings, there isn't a great deal to distinguish between online or offline contacts. I know I could easily change the setting to have them not show when contacts are offline, but then occasionally my desktop would look messy, eg:

[Image: one1jl.th.jpg]  This looks even less attractive when a window is open to reveal the gaps: [Image: one4nl.th.jpg]

So if, as well as the current option, an option was added to enable the floaters to change from specified percentage X transparency to specified percentage Y transparency, depending on status, that would be great. This would resolve the aesthetics issue with my problem by not levig gaps yet allowing me to distinguish between on/ffline contacts.

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

My next point is with regards to the original poster's 3rd suggestion. Having the desktop contacts flash on receiving a message has always been a good suggestion (and even apparently on Patchou's to-do list according to this thread), but now with the addition of tabbed chats it could help many people out.

I have read on these forums of late several people having difficulty getting to grips with or not liking the way the taskbar button doesn't immediately flash when an inactive contact sends a message. This has led to people not noticing messages for 10 minutes or so (....for example...). So having the floaters flash would help minimise this issue for some people.

That's it. Sorry for taking so long to explain!

EDIT: Don't flame me for posting already suggested ideas. The reason I 'bumped' them is due to the slightly different circumstances now with tabbed chats, and the fact that they were never actually dismissed by Patchou. (Y)

This post was edited on 10-29-2005 at 06:11 AM by kierant.
[Image: kierantsig5ru.png]
10-29-2005 06:08 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: