What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Corrupted Messenger Plus Sounds

Corrupted Messenger Plus Sounds
Author: Message:
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. Corrupted Messenger Plus Sounds
Hello,

I have a slight problem regarding my collection of sounds for messenger plus that i can send to contacts.

Some sounds over the past few weeks have become corrupted and i can listen to them, but not send them. Some of them are my fave sounds too, which is a shame.:(

Anyway I can fix them so that they aren't corrupted?

Thanks very much.
06-14-2005 09:31 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Zephyr

monster.rat

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Corrupted Messenger Plus Sounds
quote:
Originally posted by frankiedaman
Anyway I can fix them so that they aren't corrupted?

How are they corrupted? Do you receive any error messages when trying to send the sounds? Have you tried creating them again from a file on your computer?
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
06-14-2005 09:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. RE: Corrupted Messenger Plus Sounds
When I send any corrupted sound it says "The sound your trying to send appears to be corrupted and cannot be used".

Also, I don't have the original file of the corrupted ones either, i have picked them up via the random sounds feature or from other contacts.
06-14-2005 09:36 PM
Zephyr

monster.rat

35 / Male / Flag
(The sounds that you use, are actually saved onto your computer.

For Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus!\Custom Sounds\

For Windows 98/ME:

C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus!\Custom Sounds\

The files in these directories are .DAT files, but are really just the mp3 files with the file extension changed. You can save the file to another location and save it as an .MP3 file which will then enable you to play it in other media players.

The file names are the sounds ID. Open Messenger Plus! Sound Library -> Select a sound -> Edit Sound -> Internal Sound Identifier.

This will give you the file name of the sound that you want. Then try adding the sound to your library from the file you have just saved as an MP3 and see if the error still occurs.)

EDIT: sorry, i'm not actually sure if the files in the directories are just the that you created yourself, or all the sounds that have been played including the random sounds.

If the above doesn't work, could you give me the internal sound ID for one of the sounds which is giving you this error. Thanks.

This post was edited on 06-14-2005 at 10:13 PM by Zephyr.
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
06-14-2005 09:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. RE: Corrupted Messenger Plus Sounds
nice one, i'll try that out.

cheers ^_^
06-14-2005 09:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by monster.rat
The files in these directories are .DAT files, but are really just the mp3 files with the file extension changed.
No... They contain a special build ID3v1.0 tag! Hence you must not play them with media players as some will corrupt the tag, even by simply playing them!

quote:
You can save the file to another location and save it as an .MP3 file which will then enable you to play it in other media players.
indeed... copy them first (because of the above reason)

quote:
This will give you the file name of the sound that you want. Then try adding the sound to your library from the file you have just saved as an MP3 and see if the error still occurs.)
The sounds in that directory are already in your library (normally). And besides, re-adding them will make again a new sound out of it anyways and thus the qualitity will again be lower, you wont have the original...

quote:
EDIT: sorry, i'm not actually sure if the files in the directories are just the that you created yourself, or all the sounds that have been played including the random sounds.
Those are all the sounds which are installed in the library. This includes, own created ones, downloaded ones, imported ones, and installed random sounds...

PS: if you wanna quote me, do it correctly, otherwise link to the post you've quoted ;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-15-2005 11:10 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: