What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Ads Ads Ads... no more

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Ads Ads Ads... no more
Author: Message:
Unknown...

O.P. Ads Ads Ads... no more
Hi everyone,

I don't post here often but whenever I do I'm always given good advice :)
I just upgraded from MSN Messenger 6.2 to MSN Messenger 7 (I know I'm a little slow, but been really busy lately) and am NOT IMPRESSED in the slightest.

Ads Ads Ads.  No, I didn't install this program so that advertisements / Microsoft junk could fill every last corner of the programs' real estate.  Below I'm going to list all the stuff I'm not happy with, along with how unhappy it makes me. If anyone knows anyways to remove / hide it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

PS. Thanks for taking a look - from the tone of my writing you can probably tell I wrote this a few hours after I upgraded.  I held back before posting it to make sure I didn't post in the heat of the moment, but reading over it again I feel I'm being more than fair with my comments.

Contact List

1. 'My Space' button (low annoyance)
No, I don't want to continuously see an ad for getting an MSN space. If I want one (hell no), I'll look into getting one myself.

2. 'MSN Today' button (low annoyance)
There's a reason I disabled this from loading on start-up.  I don't EVER want to see it.  EVER.

3. 'Search the web' (medium annoyance)
I like the idea of this feature, but why should I be forced to use Microsoft's search engine? Last time I checked I can FULLY CUSTOMISE this feature with Mozilla Firefox to use whatever search I desire. It really annoys me that Microsoft sees fit to now tell us what search engine we should be searching with.

4. Banner add at bottom (medium annoyance)
I get enough ads on the Internet - honestly, do they think I'm going to click on that junk? Isn't Microsoft making enough money?  I see no reason why they NEED to put an ad there, therefore I see no reason why I should tolerate it.

Chat Window

5. Buying stuff (low annoyance)
I will never spend a cent on MSN Messenger related content. Why? Because in my opinion it's not worth it.  I don't need fancy emoticons, backgrounds, winks or combined 'packs'.  All I need is to be able to see when people are online, and send them messages.  Up until 6.2 I felt MSN Messenger did this quite well (and fairly stable too), satisfying all my needs.

6. 'Search' button (low annoyance)
I suppose this data is formatted to return a few responses, although again I disagree with it being based solely upon Microsoft's search engine technology (see point 3. ).

7. Hyperlink Ads at the bottom of the window (HIGH annoyance)
This is totally unacceptable / intolerable. Where all the other areas are (for the most part) hidden away, this is CONSTANTLY visible within the windows where you will be spending 90% of your time.  This one is of paramount importance to me.  Either it goes, or I go.

Thanks for reading through all that.  Again if anyone thinks they can help me please do.  Either some of this junk goes, or I go, which is a shame as I've been using MSN for a while and up until this version have been happy with it's features and development.

06-16-2005 03:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more
You might like the A-Patch: http://apatch.mooodi.net/

It removes a whole lot of stuff, see the page for what exactly :)
06-16-2005 03:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Or mess patch on http://www.mess.be or stuffplug

This post was edited on 06-16-2005 at 04:42 PM by absorbation.
06-16-2005 03:06 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Many of the problems (3, 4, 6, 7) there can be solved with StuffPlug-NG you can even get it to use a custom search engine.
As you said about MSN Today, you can turn that off.
Regarding Buying Stuff, you can't do anything about that, all the SMS related features require dosh and cash.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-16-2005 03:09 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
And it's easy to ignore 'My Space' and 'MSN Today'.

Which, going by MS's decision to drop 'My', will become a link to 'Space' :cheesy:
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-16-2005 09:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Unknown...

O.P. RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more
Thanks for the replies everyone!  :)

I have since performed a system restore and regained 6.2's former glory.  I'll hold onto it until its final breath! (I.E. Microsoft makes 7.0 a compulsory download... <sob> it shall be a sad day).  In my experiences with 7.0 I also noticed it's much slower and uses more memory than 6.2.  Has MSN messenger become 'bloat-ware'?  Time will tell what lies ahead...

When I'm forced to upgrade to 7.0 I'll do so before quickly applying some of the solutions you've all suggested.  I still feel that Microsoft is taking 'in-program advertisement' too far.  Looks like many feel as I do (will Microsoft get the hint?  I wouldn't hold my breath) and plus plugins such as Stuffplug have really come of age (this is why I love this community!).

To raceprouk:
I understand it's easy to ignore these things. The heart of the matter is I SHOULD NOT have to, no matter what they are! (I did mark both items you highlighted as a 'low annoyance' compared to other things).  I feel Microsoft is stepping over the mark, and I will not tolerate it.
As per their naming conventions, that will be interesting to watch! (I'd still like some actual space there rather than a link to 'space'! :P )  I've never seen the purpose of appending 'special' Windows folders with the word 'My' (after all, it's in YOUR account... if it's not yours, whose is it?!)  Still, Longhorn isn't looking all that impressive so far, especially considering that Microsofts' competitors (<cough>Apple<cough>) are doing some innovative things in the OS sector.  I'm sure we're not getting the full picture though, and perhaps the late June / early July beta will reveal more. (this is a whole new discussion - let's not go off topic)

So thanks again everyone!  If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to add them :)

06-18-2005 11:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Unknown...
I understand it's easy to ignore these things. The heart of the matter is I SHOULD NOT have to, no matter what they are! (I did mark both items you highlighted as a 'low annoyance' compared to other things).  I feel Microsoft is stepping over the mark, and I will not tolerate it.
it's either that or start paying for msn messenger and its services... period.

quote:
Originally posted by Unknown...
I've never seen the purpose of appending 'special' Windows folders with the word 'My' (after all, it's in YOUR account... if it's not yours, whose is it?!)
I agree on that one... But this is how things (sadly) evolve. The more people use computers the more computers, and especially Windows OS, becomes n00b "friendly" (mind the quotes). This means more (stupid) stuff like this and more and more things behind people's back because "they don't need to know what's going on"....

This post was edited on 06-18-2005 at 11:55 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-18-2005 11:52 AM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Get 6.2 from here http://www.msgstuff.com/downloads/ i host it just in case people hate 7.0 also speddy msn you may fins helpful http://www.speedymessenger.net/ :P

You dont need to do system rssore ;)

This post was edited on 06-18-2005 at 11:53 AM by absorbation.
06-18-2005 11:53 AM
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
Get 6.2 from here http://www.msgstuff.com/downloads/ i host it just in case people hate 7.0 also speddy msn you may fins helpful http://www.speedymessenger.net/ :P

You dont need to do system rssore ;)
You can also find nearly all (if not all) MSN Messenger versions here:

http://etplanet.com/download/msn.shtm
06-18-2005 12:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
um if all you want to do is see if people are online and send them messages why not use Windows messenger 5 it can do that plus a lot of other stuff and no advertising. i dont get the problem :S
ps: longhorn is going to be very good, i wouldnt base any assumptions on a alpha release of an OS. im not saying it will be as good as mac osx because it wont be but it doesnt need to be and cant really because Microsoft need to make it support more things making it harder for them to do what ever they want want with the OS but it will be a huge step up from XP.
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
06-18-2005 12:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: