What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Ads Ads Ads... no more

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Ads Ads Ads... no more
Author: Message:
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more
Look the fact is that Microsoft does have to make money out of it some how. Now i would prefer ads over having to buy messenger in some box at a store for $500......

Its a business, money must be made to fund development etc......nothing comes free.
Rafy.

06-18-2005 12:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Unknown...

O.P. RE: RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more
Woah, an explosion of action!

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
um if all you want to do is see if people are online and send them messages why not use Windows messenger 5 it can do that plus a lot of other stuff and no advertising. i dont get the problem :S
ps: longhorn is going to be very good, i wouldnt base any assumptions on a alpha release of an OS. im not saying it will be as good as mac osx because it wont be but it doesnt need to be and cant really because Microsoft need to make it support more things making it harder for them to do what ever they want want with the OS but it will be a huge step up from XP.

I cannot agree with you mad_onion.  I don't share your Microsoft sentiment - since when was the industry geared toward developing inferior products?!  Microsoft aren’t all bad - I use Windows XP and am happy with the system overall (especially as a leap from Win2k).  However there are some things I don't like.  Internet Explorer's integration into Windows is one of them.  I also don't like the fact the Internet Explorer was (for the most part) abandoned after the infamous 'Browser Wars' (a Microsoft victory).  Microsoft are in a position where they are now playing catch-up the browser department.  Even if they do catch-up (and adhere to web standards) I doubt I'll ever go back to Internet Explorer.  I now use and recommend (for various reasons) Mozilla Firefox.  The operating system sector paints a similar story - the pressure is on.  Remember by the time Longhorn ships, Apple's next instalment for OSX (codename panther) will already be out there too.  Microsoft has also cut various technologies from Longhorn's release (WinFS is a major omission) to maintain their 'revised' release date (which is still not set in stone, unlike Apple's).

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
Its a business, money must be made to fund development etc......nothing comes free.

Nothing? Really? That's news to me - I already use Mozilla Firefox! Mozilla is a business!  Even Microsoft's Internet Explorer can be downloaded for free! (although in this example we can argue about 'development' :P )  I do understand where you’re coming from though -rafy-.  This is a great problem for Microsoft.  So far they have been able to hold their own against free alternatives ('Office' to 'Open Office' anyone?) but it is ultimately taking a chunk out of their profits.  If MSN Messenger were a standalone package without the ads, I'd seriously consider buying it.  I'd also seriously consider using Gaim or Trillian too!  Ultimately the current Instant Messaging landscape would not use / support a program that would require purchase (who here has heard of Lotus Sametime?).

That's not what this thread is about though (now I'M GOING OFF-TOPIC!!) so lets not wander too far... :D

06-18-2005 02:23 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
you still havent given a reponse to my solution to the actually probel mthat the thread poses. why cant you just use windows messenger 5 it is very good.
but as this thread seems to have gone completly off topic i may as well continue it.
ie needs to be built into the OS because it makes developement for Windows much easier for all developers including microsoft. you see instead of a company having to make its own browsing protocols it can just use the ie ones whichs make developing easier so that is why you cant remove ie from the os (although you can remove it from being opened by the user through add remove programs).
longhorn has been delayed several times yes but the only thing that has been removed is winfs which will come out about 6 months later. microsoft would never release an os every year like Apple does because they wouldnt make money from it. it costs microsoft billions of dollars to produce windows and normal pc users just upgrade when they need a new pc and they dont really care that a new version of windows is out. apple on the other hand has a user base that wants the latest and greatest thing so apple will make money.
if you are under the crazy impression that microsoft cant make a new os every year then your wrong obviously with the resources they have they could make a new version each year, they just dont want to cause it would be financial suicide.
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
06-18-2005 03:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Unknown...

O.P. RE: RE: Ads Ads Ads... no more
quote:
you still havent given a reponse to my solution to the actually probel mthat the thread poses. why cant you just use windows messenger 5 it is very good.

It is very good, and yes I could use it (in fact there was a time when I did!), but I like 6.2 better! :)

quote:
ie needs to be built into the OS because it makes developement for Windows much easier for all developers including microsoft. you see instead of a company having to make its own browsing protocols it can just use the ie ones whichs make developing easier so that is why you cant remove ie from the os (although you can remove it from being opened by the user through add remove programs).

This is debatable. There are MANY applications that run over the web without browser support.  Furthermore I see no problem keeping IE as a singular program.  Integration into the operating system (and I'm not talking simple shell integration) I DO NOT agree with.  An 'Operating System' should be just that.   An 'Internet Browser' should be just that.  By its very meaning an OPERATING SYSTEM should run programs (E.g. a Browser like Internet Explorer) not BE the actual program.

quote:
if you are under the crazy impression that microsoft cant make a new os every year then your wrong obviously with the resources they have they could make a new version each year, they just dont want to cause it would be financial suicide.

I never said this.  Quality over Quantity - I'm not talking about resources.  You are right, there are different mindsets between Apple and Windows users.  This is, however, not the point I am making.

I'm not continuing this argument in this thread.  Either start a new thread in the appropriate forum or PM me.

06-18-2005 04:09 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I've given him some information by PM his getting wave11 with stuffplug and he just wants that his not really complaining about it ;) His just after a soultion :P
06-18-2005 04:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: