What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Update installation error

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Update installation error
Author: Message:
miss_mattingley

38 / Female / –
O.P. RE: Update installation error
1. Ok the first sign of error occurred when the atuomatic uptdate for Messenger Plus was downloading i.e. the little box that prompts you to download the update when you're using messenger. I clicked download and the update downloaded something...it then told me it was installing however it didn't finish installing as it said there was an internal error or something. So i left the update for then and a few days later the prompt came back and i tried again but the same thing happenned.

2. Now the only error message i get now is when i reboot windows. As the desktop loads i get the error message i posted. I tried downloading direct from the site and the update worked fine but it didn't get rid of the error message. I'm quite sure it couldn't have been anything else as i don't think any other applications or programs were added or altered on my computer at that time.

3. I will attach the report from autoruns as soon as i can access the download. The page won't load at the moment
Thanks
06-24-2005 08:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
miss_mattingley

38 / Female / –
Heres the autorun attachment you asked for...I hope its helps! Thanks

.txt File Attachment: AutoRuns.txt (44.93 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1259 time(s).
06-25-2005 08:45 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Update installation error
The good new is that I can't see any psyware/adware... The bad news (depending on point of view) is that you have a massive load of startup programs, many which you don't need at all and only slow down the system.
eg:
- All the AOL spwyare detection "crap" isn't needed and you can well do with a more decent spyware scanner
- The pointer device program. Do you have a special kind of mouse/trackball/pen? if not, it could be possible that this program isn't needed at all. Furthermore, if it was a driver (and not some tool) it wouldn't be needed in the Run registry key, but it would be a DLL and listed with the other drivers.
- The Dell Quickset and Photo AIO programs. Again, are they absolutely needed?
- Then there is a "GoBack Install" application from Sonic Solutions (also from Dell). What is an setup doing in the "Run" registry key?
- The logitec video repair and tray programs. Again this is not needed. It only takes space and when you do need the applications you might just well start the proper program from the start menu.
-Then there is even a "Run" item which doesn't exist anymore on your harddrive: LDM, located in \Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
- etc... etc...

The same goes for the StartUp Group:
- AOL 9.0 Tray. Why? if you need a connection or whatever, simply start the appropiate link from the start menu instead of always letting this run in the "background".
- Microsoft Office (OSA). This is certainly not needed at all and is the most wide spread "crap" that most people have in their startup group. The only benefit you have from running this is that Office starts up a tick faster (you wouldn't even notice it), otherwise it is completely useless.

I also see that you are running Windows Messenger constantly in the background. To fix this see "[post=201175]".

Now all this redundant stuff may/may not be the culprint of the problem. But fact is that you are almost certainly running stuff which you don't need at all.

There is so many stuff in your startup keys and groups that it would be very difficult to exactly pinpoint the problem.

What you can do is removing Messenger Plus! from both the "Run" keys[*] to see if that would solve the error (as in: it will not show again). (report back if it did or didn't please).
After that, and to make absolutely sure, manually start c:\program files\messengerplus! 3\msgplus.exe and see if the error pops up again. (again report back if it did or didn't please).

As I said before, the error message seems very dodgy to be an error message comming from Messenger Plus! though.

Did you try to install Messenger Plus! without the sponsor or with the sponsor?

Also, and last question, does Messenger Plus! seem to run properly (despite the error you got)?

[*]Remove "MessengerPlus3" from:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This post was edited on 06-25-2005 at 11:06 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2005 11:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
miss_mattingley

38 / Female / –
Ok i'm gonna have a clean up of my computer, just a few questions tho so i don't break anything cause i'm not really sure what i'm doing on autorun! The section....
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run   
which has the aol spyware etc when you say i don't need certain items in there do i just uncheck them to disable them or am i deleting them?? I don't wanna go ahead and delete them or uncheck them without checking!       
Oh and i meant to ask the same with the Messenger Plus...and i deleting it or unchecking it when you say remove?
06-27-2005 08:39 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I mean delete. But first make absolutely sure you don't need those programs! Of some I know 500% for sure you don't need them (like the office osa.exe), but for others I'm only 99% sure as I don't know what you do on your computer or what programs you have running/require... Read the manuals of the programs of which you're going to delete the stuff, test it out first, etc...

Also make first a backup of that HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key and the other ones you're going to change (select the key and choose export in your registry editor)...
06-27-2005 09:17 AM
miss_mattingley

38 / Female / –
Ok firstly i removed messenger plus from both the run keys you told me too, i rebooted the computer and the error message still pops up. I looked for messenger plus 3 in my programs but its not there so i'm not sure how to run it?

as far as i can remember i installed it without the sponser

and yes Messenger Plus works fine its just an annoying error message that keeps popping up
06-27-2005 10:25 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by miss_mattingley
Ok firstly i removed messenger plus from both the run keys you told me too, i rebooted the computer and the error message still pops up. I looked for messenger plus 3 in my programs but its not there so i'm not sure how to run it?
Uninstall Messenger Plus! completely, reboot and see if the error still pops up...
06-27-2005 12:37 PM
miss_mattingley

38 / Female / –
Ok i removed it and the message is still there! does that mean its a different problem?

Oh yeah and when i sign in i keep getting a message popping up saying i've been banned...just thought i'd add that
07-03-2005 05:36 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Ok i removed it and the message is still there! does that mean its a different problem?
indeed. As I suspected, this has got nothing to do with Messenger Plus! but with one of your other programs you're running (aka automatically starting at Windows bootup)...

And to fix this you need to seriously clean out your PC. If you don't know exactly how contact somebody who can do it for you.

quote:
Oh yeah and when i sign in i keep getting a message popping up saying i've been banned...just thought i'd add that
on these forums you mean? In that case contact an admin.
07-04-2005 04:36 PM
miss_mattingley

38 / Female / –
Ok i'll get some one to have a look.....and by the way why do you ban aol users???! anyway there is a way around that cause i can still access the forum after i was banned ;)
07-06-2005 06:51 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: