What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock

Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock
Author: Message:
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock
I found a bug with the Boss Protection and Messenger Lock features, check this out.

Step by step example:
  • Sign in into Messenger, go to Plus! > Preferences > Privacy Protection.
  • Make sure "Enable the Boss Protection feature" is checked, there's a shortcut assigned, and the "Status while hiding" is something like Busy.
  • Click OK to save Plus settings.
  • Set your status to Appear offline.
  • Press the Boss Protection shortcut. As you now are "Busy", your contacts can see you.
I think MsgPlus shouldn't change the user status if the current status is Appear offline, as this mode is different from other statuses.

Also, with StuffPlug's polygamy option enabled, I opened two Messenger instances, signed into two different accounts, and set the same Boss Protection and Messenger Lock shortcuts.
Calling the shortcuts worked fine, both instances were hidden. But if I disable Boss Protection and Messenger Lock in one of the accounts, then it stops working for both of them.

OK, I hope everything I explained is understandable :P

See you,
lopardo.

BTW, Patch, how do you mute Messenger's sounds while the user is in Boss Protection mode? It's interesting for a plugin I'm making. :)

This post was edited on 06-25-2005 at 06:13 PM by lopardo.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
06-25-2005 06:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
I found a bug with the Boss Protection and Messenger Lock features, check this out.
(...)
I think MsgPlus shouldn't change the user status if the current status is Appear offline, as this mode is different from other statuses.
This is not a bug, but by design. Though, it would indeed be good to see a registry setting for this (something like "BossProtectionAlways"; along the line of the already existing AutoAwayAlways).

(y)

quote:
Also, with StuffPlug's polygamy option enabled, I opened two Messenger instances, signed into two different accounts, and set the same Boss Protection and Messenger Lock shortcuts.
Calling the shortcuts worked fine, both instances were hidden. But if I disable Boss Protection and Messenger Lock in one of the accounts, then it stops working for both of them.
correct, but reported before... (although I can't seem to find the thread in an instant)

This post was edited on 06-25-2005 at 06:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-25-2005 06:54 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Is it maybe because Boss Protection and Messenger Lock are designed to work on all instances of Messenger? Would make sense.

Either that, or Plus! just isn't designed for polygamy.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-25-2005 07:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This is not a bug, but by design. Though, it would indeed be good to see a registry setting for this (something like "BossProtectionAlways"; along the line of the already existing AutoAwayAlways).
Yeah, but it's not the same as AutoAwayAlways. It doesn't make sense as "hidden" reg. setting. I think it's a bug, "appear offline" isn't a status like the others (people can't see you while you "appear offline").

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Is it maybe because Boss Protection and Messenger Lock are designed to work on all instances of Messenger? Would make sense.

Either that, or Plus! just isn't designed for polygamy.
Huh? It works on all instances (as it should), but it stops working on all instances if one of them has Boss Protection or Messenger Lock disabled (it should probably hide or lock only one in this case). Maybe the Boss Protection should be global.
06-25-2005 07:36 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock
quote:
quote:
Yeah, but it's not the same as AutoAwayAlways. It doesn't make sense as "hidden" reg. setting. I think it's a bug, "appear offline" isn't a status like the others (people can't see you while you "appear offline").
Nope it is by design; It would be a very stupid and strange bug to be overlooked otherwise (IMO). "offline" is a status just like any other status and when you activate the boss protection, the boss protection simply changes your status, it doesn't check what your status is atm.

It is exactly like "AutoAwayAlways" because that also defines/limits the function to only a specific status which must be/must not be in action. If this isn't added as a "hidden" registry key, then "AutoAwayAlways" must also be made into a proper "not hidden" option IMHO.
06-25-2005 07:48 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
correct, but reported before... (although I can't seem to find the thread in an instant)
I think you mean this one:
Polygamy + Boss Protection Bug

(i remember the two of us trying to figure that one out :wink: )

This post was edited on 06-25-2005 at 08:14 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
06-25-2005 08:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Bug in Boss Protection and Messenger Lock
It's always hard to discuss with you :P

quote:
Nope it is by design
How do you know?

quote:
It would be a very stupid and strange bug to be overlooked otherwise (IMO)
Nobody's perfect. Patchou is human and could have simply forgotten about this, if he was perfect we wouldn't have this subforum.

quote:
"offline" is a status just like any other status
I saw this one coming... Yes, technically, it's just another status, but it's the only one in which your contacts can't see you or talk to you, so it's a special status. Therefore, the Boss Protection and Messenger Lock features should check before changing your status. If you're in offline mode, it's because you don't want to talk or be seen.
Let's say I wanna go the bathroom and a friend of mine is here. I lock Messenger with a password so he can't use it. I was in offline mode because I didn't want to talk to someone or I didn't want someone to know I was online for some reason :P. Now my contacts see I'm online. But I do want MsgPlus to change my status when I'm in online mode and use this feature.

quote:
the boss protection simply changes your status, it doesn't check what your status is atm
That's why I'm posting this.

quote:
It is exactly like "AutoAwayAlways" because that also defines/limits the function to only a specific status which must be/must not be in action. If this isn't added as a "hidden" registry key, then "AutoAwayAlways" must also be made into a proper "not hidden" option IMHO.
It's not the same. It does something similar, but the context is different. Why should that "be made into a proper "not hidden" option"? They are different things.
When you make a program, you have to think which options you want to put in the GUI. You have to draw the line somewhere, you have to get a balance between functionality and easy of use. Otherwise you get a dialog with a thousand checkboxes for trivial options that make the important ones hard to find.

IMHO, the best solution for this would be if the Boss Protection and the Messenger Lock features only changed to the selected status if the current one wasn't "Appear offline". Then there could be a reg key to put it back as it is now.
06-25-2005 08:07 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
To answer both questions of "how do you know it is by design" and the (not) adding as a "hidden" setting: one of my arguments is that this beheviour was exatly the same for the auto-away as it is now for the Boss Protection, until Patchou added that registry key... Both that situation and this one is the same; it both will limit an action to only a specific status or statusses.

quote:
2.21.56 Version - 20/09/2003
* By default, the "auto away" feature now changes your status online when it is Online or Idle. If you want to keep the way the feature worked before, use the AutoAwayAlways registry setting
Fictious quote of how it could be:
quote:
3.xx.xxx Version - xx/xx/2005
* By default, the Boss Protection feature now changes your status only when you're online. If you want to keep the way the feature worked before, use the BossProtectionAlways registry setting

anyways, we both agree it will be a good feature, no matter how it is implemented, right? ;)

This post was edited on 06-25-2005 at 08:30 PM by CookieRevised.
06-25-2005 08:29 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: