What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » DVD noob question

DVD noob question
Author: Message:
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. DVD noob question
What's the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R, i searched google and i only got info about 'compatibility'... is that all? Or one has more durability or something? Because if 'compatibilty' is the only reasons then it's going to be the same for me buying +R or -R, because i just save files (normally) on them....
06-28-2005 02:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: DVD noob question
if you plan to use the dvds for burning dvds to be watched on a televsison dvd-r's are more compatable. i do not know any more difference. dvd+r were invented first iirc.
06-28-2005 03:07 AM
Maniac

Posts including T&T: 1684

36 / Male / –
quote:
DVD stands for Digital Versatile/Video Disc, DVDR stands for DVD Recordable and DVDRW for DVD ReWriteable. If you're familiar with regular audio/music CDs or regular DVD-Video discs, then you will know what a recordable DVD looks like. A recordable DVD stores up to 2 hours of very good quality DVD-Video, including several audio tracks in formats like stereo, Dolby Digital or DTS and also advanced menu systems, subtitles and still pictures that can be played by many standalone DVD Players and most computer DVD-ROMs. If you choose to lower the video quality it is possible to store several hours video on a recordable DVD using low bitrates and low resolution with video quality more like VHS, SVHS, SVCD, CVD or VCD. It is also possible to have up to 4.37* GB ordinary data or mix DVD-Video and data on a recordable DVD that can be played by most computer DVD-ROMs.

There are three competing DVD Recording standards, DVD-R/DVD-RW and DVD+R/DVD+RW have pretty similiar features and are compatible with many standalone DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs while DVD-RAM has less DVD Player and DVD-ROM compatibility but better recording features.

DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

DVD+R DL
DVD+R DL or called DVD+R9 is a Dual Layer writeable DVD+R. The dual layered discs can hold 7.95 computer GB* (called DVD-9) and dual layered double sides 15.9* computer GB (called dvd-18).

DVD-R DL
DVD-R DL or called DVD-R9 is a Dual Layer writeable DVD-R. The dual layered discs can hold 7.95 computer GB* (called DVD-9) and dual layered double sides 15.9* computer GB (called dvd-18).

DVD-RAM
DVD-RAM has the best recording features but it is not compatible with most DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players. Think more of it as a removable hard disk. DVD-RAM is usually used in some DVD Recorders.
This format is supported by DVDForum.

That is taken from here and has links to what players read what etc ;)
[Image: maniacsig0pb.jpg]
*It took Jesus 3 days to respawn! Talk about lag!* :rofl:
06-28-2005 03:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
DVD+ and DVD- are available becoz media producers could not settle on a format, when dvd recording first became available
06-29-2005 10:49 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
He didn't ask why they're available, but what the difference is. Which has been answered in great detail by Maniac.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-29-2005 12:52 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
i know, theres pretty much no difference except i've noticed acouple of dvd-'s have less space then dvd+, which is odd, could have been a problem with the manufacturing process as the rest of the pack had the full amount of gb's
06-29-2005 01:23 PM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: DVD noob question
:| Thank you so much ppl :D now I hope my Aopen DVD+/-RW last much....

quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
DVD+ and DVD- are available becoz media producers could not settle on a format, when dvd recording first became available

Still this is very interesting... now i understand why there are two formats...(they still have time to dissapear one format and make the other one 'standard'...:S)
06-29-2005 10:37 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: