What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » 2 quick questions, need answered

2 quick questions, need answered
Author: Message:
TheMusicPirate

39 / Male / –
O.P. 2 quick questions, need answered
i bought a computer that already had a os installed (win xp home)

1) and i wanna know how can i install win xp pro, cuz i tryed but a message saying the version of windows on the disc is older tht the version installed.

2) if i get a new video card put in, and for some reason i need to format my computer will it be reconized and automatically use the new card or will i have to  set it up?

thanks

p.s. and how can i find out if my current video card is a AGP GPU or PCI?
[Image: ipod.gif]

06-28-2005 03:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: 2 quick questions, need answered
quote:
Originally posted by TheMusicPirate

1) and i wanna know how can i install win xp pro, cuz i tryed but a message saying the version of windows on the disc is older tht the version installed.

Yes you can install WinXP Pro over a Windows XP Home Edition one (and it will upgrade, preserving your all current settings.) Make sure you get correct CD (for example, a SP2-equipped XP Pro, instead of the original XP Pro or SP1-equppied XP Pro, can be installed over a SP2-equipped XP Home Edition)
quote:
2) if i get a new video card put in, and for some reason i need to format my computer will it be reconized and automatically use the new card or will i have to  set it up?

Depends on what chipset :p Usually it will be recognized, but (if your card is too new) until you install the drivers you can't fully enjoy the card.
quote:

thanks

p.s. and how can i find out if my current video card is a AGP GPU or PCI?

Get the manual :P Well, you can determine by its pin... an AGP card usually has two or three parts of pins, all of which are about equal size. A PCI card usually consists of two parts of pins and one of them is much shorter than the other. :) Well it's rather hard to describe in text so perhaps you can search for "AGP cards" and "PCI cards" in Google Images.

Btw, do you mean "PCI-e" or "PCI" ? :S

This post was edited on 06-28-2005 at 04:05 AM by Mnjul.
06-28-2005 03:57 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
TheMusicPirate

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: 2 quick questions, need answered
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
quote:
Originally posted by TheMusicPirate

Yes you can install WinXP Pro over a Windows XP Home Edition one (and it will upgrade, preserving your all current settings. Make sure you get correct CD (for example, a SP2-equipped XP Pro, instead of the original XP Pro or SP1-equppied XP Pro, can be installed over a SP2-equipped XP Home Edition)

so  if my win xp pro isn't packed with sp2, then i can't?

06-28-2005 04:01 AM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
No...I don't think you can :)
06-28-2005 04:04 AM
Tandy
Veteran Member

:D

34 / Male / –
quote:
No...I don't think you can :)

unless he reformats, that is ;)
[Image: allju3.jpg]
06-28-2005 04:05 AM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
Well, if he wants to reformat his computer, of course, he can install it...but if he wants to upgrade it (which actually I don't recommend*), he can't install the xp pro unless he slipstream SP2 in it. (You can use nLite if manual slipstreaming is not of your interest. ;))

*The reason why I don't recommend it is that, from my experience, it's always slowed down my computer... only for your information ;)

This post was edited on 06-28-2005 at 04:12 AM by Mnjul.
06-28-2005 04:09 AM
TheMusicPirate

39 / Male / –
quote:
Well, if he wants to reformat his computer, of course, he can install it...but if he wants to upgrade it (which actually I don't recommend), he can't install the xp pro unless he slipstream SP2 in it. (You can use nLite if manual slipstreaming is not of your interest. ;))

i got a sp2 disk sent to me by microsoft.
quote:
Well, if he wants to reformat his computer, of course, he can install it...but if he wants to upgrade it (which actually I don't recommend*), he can't install the xp pro unless he slipstream SP2 in it. (You can use nLite if manual slipstreaming is not of your interest. ;))

*The reason why I don't recommend it is that, from my experience, it's always slowed down my computer... only for your information ;)

but is it safe to install a different version of windows on a computer that had win xp home on it as the default os?

06-28-2005 04:10 AM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
Yes it is safe, as far as you've got at least one other partition on your HDD. However, if one of the OS'es is of no use, it's a waste of Harddisk space :p
06-28-2005 04:17 AM
TheMusicPirate

39 / Male / –
quote:
Yes it is safe, as far as you've got at least one other partition on your HDD. However, if one of the OS'es is of no use, it's a waste of Harddisk space :p

on my computer i have a d: that is a Recovery (6.6gb)
and a c: that is my main drive (180gb)

06-28-2005 04:20 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: