What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » I have some new ram but I don't have a clue.

I have some new ram but I don't have a clue.
Author: Message:
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. Tongue  I have some new ram but I don't have a clue.
I have a new 512 MB ram stick and I want to fit it in my pc. Now I am sure everything is compatiable but I need some help.

First up it says Discharge Sensitive Devices...I don't know whats sensitive though.

Secondly if any one can tell me like what side and way to put the ram in I would be greatful.
AC3
07-02-2005 04:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: I have some new ram but I don't have a clue.
The procedure is farly simple:

First, open your computer and make sure you have access to the memory slots (you should have 2 to 4 of them, probably somewhere at the right side of your motherboard).

Secondly, before you take the memory stick out of its protective bag, touch the metal casing of your computer for a second or two, it will remove all the static electricity you have in your body (and prevent it from being discharged in your new memory).

Thirdly, take your memory stick and plug it in oen of the available slots in your computers. Don't worry about the side, there is no way the stick will fit if it is placed incorrectly.

Once the stick is inserted and secured in place (with the two plastic hooks at each side of the memory stick on the motherboard), turn on your computer and verify if it detects your new memory. If it doesn't, turn it off and try puting your memory in another slot. Note that in some circumstances, two different brand of memory stick will not work together properly so don't be surprise if that happen.
[Image: signature2.gif]
07-02-2005 05:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: I have some new ram but I don't have a clue.
quote:
Originally posted by Pathcou
Once the stick is inserted and secured in place (with the two plastic hooks at each side of the memory stick on the motherboard), turn on your computer and verify if it detects your new memory. If it doesn't, turn it off and try puting your memory in another slot. Note that in some circumstances, two different brand of memory stick will not work together properly so don't be surprise if that happen.

The thing is I am putting a new 512 DDRam in to replace the SDRam and the DDRam my pc came with. Dodgy makers or what ¬_¬.

Thanks, Patch.
AC3
07-02-2005 05:31 PM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
You can but Anti-Static Wrist Straps that you atach to a Radiator or ohter earthed metal object.  Most PC Engineers have these (those that don't, shame on you).  Failing that you really should leave the power plugged in but turn it off at the wall, that way the machine is proprely earthed.

Just a little tip to those budding Engineers out there.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-02-2005 06:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: I have some new ram but I don't have a clue.
Thanks Patchou eveything worked nicely. :)
AC3
07-02-2005 07:56 PM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
I have an anti-static wrist band but in saying that, when i havnt used one (alot) ive never seen a part be fryed or damaged by any static from your body..etc

But then thats the same as they say clear cases dont prevent EMI.. but ive never had problems.
07-03-2005 03:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: