What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » what is this popup trying to tell me

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
what is this popup trying to tell me
Author: Message:
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: what is this popup trying to tell me
i got that popup when i installed my eyetoy as my webcam :P
its made by logitech. i am 99.9% sure its nothing harmful to your computer :D
07-04-2005 10:41 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Basicially depending on the the region you live in your monitor can display different refresh rates, just chose which one you are :)
07-04-2005 10:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
Looks very unprofessional for logitech though...BAD logitech, VERY BAD.  I'd have guessed a virus or spyware/adware if I wouldnt have finished reading this thread.
07-04-2005 11:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Basicially depending on the the region you live in your monitor can display different refresh rates, just chose which one you are :)

Um.

Were you reading?
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Looks very unprofessional for logitech though...BAD logitech, VERY BAD.  I'd have guessed a virus or spyware/adware if I wouldnt have finished reading this thread.
Idd. VERY bad formation there. Logitech should take a quick lookover its driver software :/
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
07-05-2005 02:35 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
Locality's got nothing to do with it: any monitor can have a refresh rate unrelated to AC frequency. TFTs don't use AC, and CRTs have circuitry to change AC frequency to the desired.

Edit: Anyway, it should be easy to automatically detect 50Hz from 60Hz. In fact, I could design a basic circuit to do that right now if you liked.

This post was edited on 07-05-2005 at 01:10 PM by RaceProUK.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-05-2005 01:09 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I'm just going to repeat stuff here, but meh....

No software and even no hardware is dependable on the power gird's frequency, that's pure BS (in the context of hardware of computers I mean)...

The ONLY thing that MIGHT be dependable on it is your power supply unit for your computer and that can of course by no means be controlled by any software. Even so, power supplies (or any other hardware that is to be plugged in into the power grid) MUST be able to run on frequencies between 50-60Hz, if they don't they even are illegal to be sold and even ditributed for safety reasons. Those are international standards!!!!

This said, it is possible that the frequency of a power grid can interfear with display components (flickering will occur). This useually happens only in old equipment which isn't isolated/filtered enough and with power grid cables of extremely low quality (the question is also: is it even safe to use such "bad" quality stuff now-a-days?). So this might be the only reasons I can think of why such a popup might exist to filter (by software) the flickering that might occur. However, as said, this usually only occurs in old and not good enough adapted equipment.

So all this sounds like a lame attempt to me to prevent frequency interfairing in the CCD of the camera. It is an extremely and very dodgy way of cutting the costs of building a webcam. All it takes are a very few small electrical components added to the camera's hardware to prevent this from happening; if it happens at all btw, as the chances of frequency interference are extremely slim anyways unless you physically hold your camera against power cables, and even then it would be extremely small...

If this isn't a lame virus/spyware popup then I would suggest to simply confirm the right setting and kill that stupid helper-application afterwards, as this is most likely not needed at all.

Logitec should fix this issue ASAP IMHO, and stop distributing such "faulty" hardware which requires some setting/program like that... (or at least fix the dodgy layout of the dialog).

PS: those who drag PC monitors into this, this has got nothing to do with this popup...

This post was edited on 07-05-2005 at 01:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-05-2005 01:49 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: what is this popup trying to tell me
Ok cookie thanks i recenly moved my pc and chnaged all the plugs and that :) and when i plugged my webcam in that came up and installing new hardware wizard :S

It's dodgy it's not an expensive webcam about £25 = $43 :P

Thanks for all your help :)
07-05-2005 03:32 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
maybe they haven't updated that part of the driver. Or maybe they use generic drivers, since i got the same popup with a trust cam.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
07-05-2005 04:17 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: