What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Subscribed threads bug?

Subscribed threads bug?
Author: Message:
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

35 / Male / –
O.P. Subscribed threads bug?
Ok, you know when you subscribe to a thread, you get an E-mail that says like :

jren207,

WDZ has replied to whatever...

Well, aren't you only supposed to get one and not anymore from that thread until you visit it, regardless of how many people post in it after you last visited it.... ? *-)

Well, i'm getting one for the every post in a thread that I have newly subscribed in, for example, the "what do you despise?" thread, which is pretty much a popular thread and you can imagine how many E-mails i'm getting from that.... 8-)
07-07-2005 11:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Subscribed threads bug?
The e-mail notifications will stop after receiving a certain amount of them (3 or 5, i don't remember) until you visit the board again, you will be notified about that too (i rarely subscribe to a thread, but the times i did this has been the case).

This post was edited on 07-08-2005 at 12:16 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
07-08-2005 12:14 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jren207
Ok, you know when you subscribe to a thread, you get an E-mail that says like :

jren207,

WDZ has replied to whatever...

Well, aren't you only supposed to get one and not anymore from that thread until you visit it, regardless of how many people post in it after you last visited it.... ? *-)

Well, i'm getting one for the every post in a thread that I have newly subscribed in, for example, the "what do you despise?" thread, which is pretty much a popular thread and you can imagine how many E-mails i'm getting from that.... 8-)
on this forum you get a mail for every posted message... to a certain extent.

(And personaly I like this better then getting only a mail for the so called first unread post - as that often is screwed up- and also because I can keep track by email of the posted messages much easier in this way - sometimes I keep certain notifications of certain posts to remind me, this would not be possible if only the first unread post gets a notification.)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-08-2005 01:25 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I think it keeps alerting you until you sign out of the forum, then it only alerts you about the first reply, waiting for you to return.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-08-2005 02:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Subscribed threads bug?
I think it's somehow fixed itself now... :S

Well, it used to alert me of a new post in a thread since the last time I visited that thread. For example, I made a thread post, or posted in another thread, well, it would subscribe me. So, when i've left, when another person posts after me, I get an email alert. But say, another person posts another post in that thread, well when I haven't visited it since the other post after me, I won't get an alert for the second post after that, if you understand me :P

But, recently, i've been getting an alert for each post posted in a thread.

At the bottom of the email alert, it even says "There may also be other replies to this thread but you will not receive any more
notifications until you visit the board again."

I know it says board, but I gathered that to be visiting the THREAD again, as that's what usually happened, so has anyone changed anything?... :S
07-08-2005 04:08 PM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
The code that decides whether or not to send you a message is quite dodgy and confusing, IMO. :p

Let me attempt to explain. You will get an e-mail if...

- Someone replies to a thread that you're subscribed to (obviously).
- The person who replied is not you.
- Your "last active" time* is greater than the time of the last* post in the thread.

* This time is constantly updated to the current time as you use the board.
* Not counting the post that the e-mail is notifying you about.

I believe the point is to only send you one e-mail per thread until you visit the board again.

So let's say Thread A has 3 replies when you leave the board and go watch TV for an hour. While you're gone, Reply 4 is made, and you recieve an e-mail about it, since you were active on the board after Reply 3 was made. Then, while you're still watching TV, Reply 5 is made. You will NOT recieve an e-mail about this one, since you haven't been active since before Reply 4 was made.

I hope that makes sense. :-/
07-09-2005 05:08 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Subscribed threads bug?
ahh, ok :) 8-) i think..
07-09-2005 04:52 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode