What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN Messenger doesn't close on Windows Shut Down

MSN Messenger doesn't close on Windows Shut Down
Author: Message:
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. MSN Messenger doesn't close on Windows Shut Down
Hi

For about a month or so now, whenever i shut down my computer MSN Messenger doesn't close properly. Windows tries to close it, but when it fails asks if i want to "End Now". If i click End Now after Windows has tried to exit MSN Messenger, the computer freezes and doesn't shut down, causing me to do a hard restart. However, if i click End Now while Windows tries to exit MSN Messenger, it closes it and the computer shut's down as normal. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but this didnt't help. I then uninstalled and cleaned the registry of all MSN Messenger references i could find. After doing this i reinstalled MSN Messenger. This too did not help

Does anyone know how i can fix this problem?

Thanks in advance
[Image: salem874.smart.jpg][Image: card.png]
Was i Helpful?[/url]
07-13-2005 08:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: MSN Messenger doesn't close on Windows Shut Down
If you have Messenger Plus! installed, have you tried uninstalling Plus! along with its plugins and see if it is Plus! or Plus! plug-ins that cause this problem? :)
07-13-2005 10:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: MSN Messenger doesn't close on Windows Shut Down
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
If you have Messenger Plus! installed, have you tried uninstalling Plus! along with its plugins and see if it is Plus! or Plus! plug-ins that cause this problem? :)

Thanks i will try it and get back to you.

I didn't think of doing this as i have not made any changes to the MsgPlus! install or made any changes to plugins. As far as i can remember, this problem started when i tried MessengerDiscovery X. I installed in on the day of release, but later decided to uninstall it because after installation i tried to hide some of my system try icons. But when opening the taskbar options, nothing was shown where i should have seen the current icons. Anyway, i uninstalled MessengerDiscovery X right then, since then the hide system tray icons are back to normal. However, upon the uninstall of MessengerDiscovery X, it clean out my startup registry, so no programs where running at startup. I have managed to get all programs to run at startup again (not via the Startup foler in start menu) except my email client. So i think the MessengerDiscovery X may have caused all these problems with MSN Messenger.

No offense to ecko_complex/effekt but i don't think i'll use MessengerDiscovery again, this is not the first time it has caused me problems.

RileyM

This post was edited on 07-13-2005 at 11:41 AM by Salem.
Was i Helpful?[/url]
07-13-2005 11:14 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
[size=1]Is it just messenger? That happens for me a lot with some other applications also. But when it happens it doesn't freeze. I thought it was just how over-worked my computer is with 4 different people on it almost all the time.

EDIT: MDX caused me problems too... So I too don't think I'll install the new version.

This post was edited on 07-13-2005 at 12:19 PM by qgroessl.
07-13-2005 12:17 PM
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
[size=1]Is it just messenger? That happens for me a lot with some other applications also. But when it happens it doesn't freeze. I thought it was just how over-worked my computer is with 4 different people on it almost all the time.

EDIT: MDX caused me problems too... So I too don't think I'll install the new version.

Yes it is just Messenger. I know that sometimes programs won't close, but this happens every single time. I also had the problem os shutdown and stuff being slowwith multiple user on a computer at the same time. For this reason i have disable Windows XP's fast user switching, so a user has to log of totally.

I'm busy trying what was suggested by Mhjul now. I hope it works
Was i Helpful?[/url]
07-13-2005 12:29 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
It's likely to be a plugin not finishing it's job properly IMO. Although if you can close Messenger anyway (not via Task Manager ;))... well, disable plugins and see what happens then ;)

As for MessengerDiscovery, that uninstaller bug (clearing out startup items) has been there since version 2. It wasn't until I upgraded Spybot one time and got the Resident that I knew it was MD doing it. MD also doesn't reset Messenger's connection settings, causing further problems. Not to mention it's buggy, can be unstable, and rather barren, feature-wise...
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-13-2005 07:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
It's likely to be a plugin not finishing it's job properly IMO. Although if you can close Messenger anyway (not via Task Manager ;))... well, disable plugins and see what happens then ;)

As for MessengerDiscovery, that uninstaller bug (clearing out startup items) has been there since version 2. It wasn't until I upgraded Spybot one time and got the Resident that I knew it was MD doing it. MD also doesn't reset Messenger's connection settings, causing further problems. Not to mention it's buggy, can be unstable, and rather barren, feature-wise...

This problem has now been resolved. What i did that fixed it was.
1) Uninstall StuffPlug-NG (via add or remove programs)
2)Uninstall MessengerPlus! (remove all preferences and also uninstall plugins, tho the only other plugin i had was Screenshot Sender)
3)Uninstall MSN Messenger
4)Clean the registry of all references to MSN Messenger
5)Install MSN Messenger 7
6) Install MessengerPlus!
7) Install StuffPlug-NG

After doing this all is working fine (at least after one shutdown it did)

Glad to see other people are also reporting MD to be buggy and causing problems. I first used MD 2 (2 point something but cant remember which one). After a week, i could login to any of my MSN accounts using MSN Messenger, but could on Windows Messenger. I've also had some problems with ecko_complex himself. I was doing a translation of MD, and had posted the required files onto the forums before the deadline. When the version of MD was released, my translation wasn't included, neither was my name on the Beta testers list (which it should have been). I sent ecko-complex a PM asking why my translation wasn't included and about not being under beta testers. After 2 weeks got no reply, so asked again. When i ent into the forums the next time to see if he had replied, i found that i had been banned from the forums. Luckily the Forums had technical problems so all settings etc, were reverted to before i was banned so i was able to connect again.
I thought i might just try MDX, hoping that it would not be so buggy as he was reporting that it is SO MUCH BETTER than previous versions of MD. Only to find that it was causing problems, and i uninstalled it again after about 2 hours.
Was i Helpful?[/url]
07-14-2005 07:49 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: