What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Internet Connection Speed (Problem?)

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Internet Connection Speed (Problem?)
Author: Message:
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Internet Connection Speed (Problem?)
How Cum if my connection is supposed to be 11MB a sec (which it keeps tellin me it is on that little picture of the two PC's by the clock) how come it keeps downloadin stuff at approx. 20 - 30KB a sec. thats pretty fast for that anyway, but im downloadin  movie right now, and i jus thought, if it was at full speed it would be dunm by now as its only 235MB or so.

I'm not MSN and the only browser ive got up is to post this and then its goin down, in fact, the only thing im doin is downloadin this at all, so why i it so low compared to what im constantly told by my ISP?
07-13-2005 03:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Internet Connection Speed (Problem?)
well 11MB a sec is probably your network connection, for example, are you connected to a wireless network?

If you are, then your router is probably connected to the internet at 30kb/s and sending the data to you, over the 11MB/s connection.

This post was edited on 07-13-2005 at 03:38 PM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
07-13-2005 03:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
what about the speed of wherever you downloading.. that;d have to be 11mbps also... if not its bound to be slower...and if a few people are downloading it or something else from that person its also going to slow it down

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
07-13-2005 03:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Maybe a problem with your providers network or something... What kind of internet connection do you have?... If it's cable it could be that something is down mechanically.
07-13-2005 03:35 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Internet Connection Speed (Problem?)
i am on a wireless connection yes.

I'm not complainnig about this btw, its good enuff, its just that even if i was downloading something from a super computer at MS or somethin that was doing no work and it was going fadter than its ever been, odd's are it wdnt reach 11MBps. I dunno why, but when my mate tells me hes got 1GB a second or so0methin on his, i still see him downloading files really fuckin quick, but still not 1GB a sec.

is this just me or is everyones like this? if itsnt jus me, could i have an explenation, im not arsed, jus wondwerin
07-13-2005 03:39 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
It could be your signal strength... if your friend has wireless also he could be getting a clearer signal... OR if he doens't have wireless he could be connected directly via phone line or cable...

I have cable and it goes pretty damn fast... and I got a lap top, plus another desktop computer wirelessly connected, ones 5 feet away, the other is about 20... the one five feet away always goes twice as fast because the signal is better.
07-13-2005 03:41 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Internet Connection Speed (Problem?)
this computer goes the same speed as it did when it was directly copnnected to the cable when the second computer (which is now connected by cable, and im connected by wireless system upstairs) wasnt even involved. my signal strengh is round about 60% or "Very Good" windows tells me.
07-13-2005 03:46 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
the 11 mbs from the "two computers by teh clock" really has nothing to do with download speed from the internet. that is the speed of your connection. if your downloading from the internet the speed is goverened by your isp and whatever else is useing the connection. but if you were transferring a large amouint of files over your home network it would move at 11mbs. and if i'm correct thats 11 megabits/second so devide that by eight and its roughly 1.4 megabytes per second
07-13-2005 04:31 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
How Cum if my connection is supposed to be 11MB a sec (which it keeps tellin me it is on that little picture of the two PC's by the clock) how come it keeps downloadin stuff at approx. 20 - 30KB a sec.
20-30 kilobytes per second is reasonable for 11 megabits per second.
If the connection is fully utilised, you'll get about 1.3MB/s, but when you take into account connection-maintenance data, IP headers, ... {insert muchos bandwidth eaters here} ... you get a speed more like you actually are getting.

I know how much bandwidth can be wasted ;)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-13-2005 07:16 PM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
As lizard.boy says, all the internet speeds are measured in BITS, one byte are 8 bits, so if you're internet conection is 1GB or whatever, in KB/s it would be (1 x 1024 (for Mb/s) x 1024 (for Kb/s)) = 1048576 KB/s, and for knowing the speed in BYTES (check the uppercase in the measures, a small 'b' means bits and a big 'B' means BYTES), so it would be 1048576/8 = 131072 KB/s.
07-13-2005 07:19 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: