What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Stop listening for when I'm back!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Stop listening for when I'm back!
Author: Message:
Unknown...

O.P. Stop listening for when I'm back!
Hey all,

I was wondering if a plugin/setting (I'm posting this in the plugin forum as I've been searching and can't find any related settings) is available to do the following:
I have Plus! automatically change my status to 'away' when I'm away (I.E. don't move the mouse) for 5 minutes.  Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger also have this functionality built in, but I prefer to let Plus! run the show as much as it can :)

Current Functionality
After my status has been changed to 'away' Messenger will listen for mouse events, upon which it will revert my status back to what it was before the automatic change.

Preferred Functionality
After my status has been changed to 'away' Messenger will NOT listen for mouse events, thus leaving my status to 'away' until I explicitly change it via the program interface.

Is this possible?  I ask as I'm commonly swamped by messages when I come back to my PC and people see I'm 'online' - this seems like a simple solution that allows me to decide when I'm 'online' to the world at large! :P

Cheers
07-18-2005 04:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
RE: Stop listening for when I'm back!
I guess that would only be possible, if Patchou codes it, impossible to really 'code' something that changes MP!
07-18-2005 04:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Or if it is coded as a plugin, and the Plus! option is disabled.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-18-2005 05:56 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Unknown...

O.P. RE: Stop listening for when I'm back!
quote:
Originally posted by Brian
I guess that would only be possible, if Patchou codes it, impossible to really 'code' something that changes MP!

I'm presuming that this setting doesn't exist then :(
Is there a plugin out there that can do something similar?  Mouse events don't necessarily need to be ignored - I'm sure there are other solutions (the feasibility of them is another story however!).
Here are some ideas - please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm making a lot of assumptions based on how I see the program working, not going through actual code.

I presume the current status needs to be saved/remembered somewhere before the automatic (temporary) 'away' status is applied.  This can be seen with the following:
1. If you are 'Online' it will auto-change to 'Away' after 5 minutes and revert back to 'Online' when you generate events.
2. If you are 'Busy' it will auto-change to 'Away' after 5 minutes and revert back to 'Busy' when you generate events.

If this is true then it may be possible for a plugin to change the 'saved status' to mirror what the 'automatic (temporary) status' is.
I.E. If the automatic status change is invoked and sets the status to 'away', then also change the 'saved status' to away.  When events are detected the program would attempt to change the status from 'away' to 'away', resulting in no change! :P (am I making sense here?)

Another simpler idea would be a plugin that manages the automatic status change functionality itself (would require disabling of the Windows/MSN Messenger and Plus! functionality).  It would directly change the status as opposed to apply a temporary one.  On second thought, this may not be that simple either...

Any suggestions are welcome!  If it is something that needs to be considered for implementation by Patchou, what is the best way to bring it to his attention? (I'm sure he's doing a billion other things)  I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up before.  Searching the forums I couldn't find anything :(

* Thinking the same thing raceprouk :P
** And he beats me AGAIN! Damn you're quick! I must have been writing mine as you wrote your post!

This post was edited on 07-18-2005 at 06:11 PM by Unknown....
07-18-2005 06:05 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Unknown...
a plugin that manages the automatic status change functionality itself (would require disabling of the Windows/MSN Messenger and Plus! functionality).
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
if it is coded as a plugin, and the Plus! option is disabled.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-18-2005 06:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Unknown...

Anyone want to even attempt creating this as a plugin?

I will post a bounty - To the developer that makes a plugin for this I, Unknown..., shall mail you a cookie! [Image: cookie.gif] *

* Note: Unknown... may or may not mail you a cookie. Most likely he has already eaten it himself...
08-04-2005 06:09 PM
djtumshi

had a look at your post and thought to myself... would it not be alot easier if u just change your status to away so that when u move your mouse your status will not change.
08-11-2005 12:29 AM
Unknown...

O.P. RE: RE: Stop listening for when I'm back!
quote:
Originally posted by djtumshi
had a look at your post and thought to myself... would it not be alot easier if u just change your status to away so that when u move your mouse your status will not change.

That defies the whole purpose of "automatic status change"!  I'd like it to automatically change when I'm considered 'inactive' and then remain that way until I change it.

This functionality could be provided to all users in Plus! Preferences; It would fit nicely in the "General Options > Miscellaneous" section.  All it would take is ONE checkbox! The checkbox would be checked by default so to preserve current behaviour (change status back).

I've attached an example of how it would look with this addition.

.jpg File Attachment: Proposed-Functionality.jpg (73.62 KB)
This file has been downloaded 194 time(s).
08-18-2005 09:15 AM
Unknown...

Hey guys this thread should really belong in the "MsgPlus! General Talk" area.
It isn’t so much plugin related as it is a suggestion of functionality to be implemented in Plus! Preferences.

How do I go about moving this thread there, or should I just repost?
08-20-2005 04:30 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Unknown...
How do I go about moving this thread there, or should I just repost?

No, if you click Report button and type in a reason why it should be moved, Then a mod can take appopriate action :)
08-20-2005 04:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: