What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Is messenger plus spyware?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Is messenger plus spyware?
Author: Message:
deadxxgirl

O.P. Is messenger plus spyware?
Ever since I downloaded messenger plus, my microsoft anti spyware program has recognized it as spyware and wants to remove it. I chose to ignore it but I've had a few minor problems since. My clock keeps setting to an hour behind whenever I start my pc, my internet browser homepage always says "bad gateway" no matter what I set my browser homepage to. I keep getting a heck of a lot of trojan viruses. Way more than usual. I got rid of messenger plus but it didn't fix any of these problems. So what can I do about this? I want messenger plus back but if it's spyware and it's going to screw my pc up with stuff like this I don't think that's the best idea.
07-20-2005 06:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Is Messenger Plus spyware?
ya Microsoft antispyware does recoginize it has a software budler but it isnt spyware
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
hmaster

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Is Messenger Plus spyware?
No it is not spyware, but it is bundled with adware which is optional when running the installer.
MS Anti-spyware does still think it has adware even if you clicked for it not to be installed :)

This post was edited on 07-20-2005 at 06:07 PM by hmaster.
[Image: sig.png]
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Is messenger plus spyware?
Messenger Plus! is NOT spyware. However, there is an OPTIONAL installation of some ad-ware. However as far as i know it does not install viruses or change your system clock. Possibly it could be something else.
07-20-2005 06:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
as far as i know
He is right there, no viruses or spyware, and the optional sponsor program is easy to remove (How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor) ;)

As for Microsoft AntiSpyware, you can find more information in the following threads:
Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
MS Antispyware says Messenger Plus is adware
Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)

quote:
Originally posted by deadxxgirl
I got rid of messenger plus but it didn't fix any of these problems.
A good clue that Plus! is not the cause of the problems :)
quote:
if it's spyware and it's going to screw my pc up with stuff like this I don't think that's the best idea
You can safely put it back, especially if you do not choose to install the sponsor program. Good luck with your other computer issues though :)

This post was edited on 07-20-2005 at 06:41 PM by Tochjo.
07-20-2005 06:38 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
As your problems are sttill around, you might want to consider using a scanner such as Spybot or Ad-ware However DO NOT remove Plus! traces with this. Follow the instructions provided in the links from Tochjo's post
07-20-2005 07:23 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
My clock keeps setting to an hour behind whenever I start my pc, my internet browser homepage always says "bad gateway" no matter what I set my browser homepage to. I keep getting a heck of a lot of trojan viruses.
All signs of a badly-secured PC, I'm afraid. You will want to run both a full virus scan and spyware scan (making sure both scanners are fully updated), removing anything you find. Since you appear to have removed Plus!, the sponsor should also have been removed (if installed initially), otherwise follow Tochjo's advice first.

Once you've removed all the viruses and spyware, make sure you have a firewall installed, and that it's up to date. Scan all downloads for viruses, and regularly scan the whole PC for viruses and spyware (I myself do a weekly virus scan, spyware closer to monthly).
And of course, reinstall Plus! ;)
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-21-2005 04:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Philbee

– / Male / –
actually...i am not at ALL happy that ms antispyware flags messenger plus as adware, even withgout the sponsor!  i just set it to ignore message plus permanently.

it seems the height of irony that Patchou has visited microsoft for business reasons, and YET ms antispyware still recognizes messenger plus as adware, even w/o the sponsor!
07-23-2005 03:12 PM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Philbee
actually...i am not at ALL happy that ms antispyware flags messenger plus as adware, even withgout the sponsor!  i just set it to ignore message plus permanently.

it seems the height of irony that Patchou has visited microsoft for business reasons, and YET ms antispyware still recognizes messenger plus as adware, even w/o the sponsor!
it recognizes it as a software bundler
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
07-23-2005 03:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Philbee

– / Male / –
yes.  that's true.  i just find the crazy alarm it gives for messenger plus WITHOUT the sponsor very annoying and upsetting.  i just set it to ignore messenger plus, and if there is any more alarms i will be more than happy to uninstall ms antispyware.

i should note that neither ad aware, nor spybot s&d recognize messenger plus as harmful.
07-23-2005 03:51 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: