What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Who is still using MSN 6.2.0205?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Who is still using MSN 6.2.0205?
Author: Message:
saintgtril

O.P. Who is still using MSN 6.2.0205?
hi everyone,

it is intriguing to know who is still using the old version of msn.
i am one of them thou, reason being,

PROS
1. user interface is much cleaner
2. open conversation detector (not accurate thou)
3. close notificator (thou you can have this on msn 7 too :P)
4. hide advertisement

(i cant think of the rest as of now)

CONS
1. no winks
2. cant view private nick
3. that what i can think of for msn 7

and one essential thing to note, it seems that msn 7.5 will soon be out, wondering should i 'UPGRADE' to that? care to share your view on this?

This post was edited on 07-21-2005 at 02:07 AM by saintgtril.
07-21-2005 02:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Who is still using MSN 6.2.0205?
Hmm... I seemed to have thought they forced you to upgrade to 7... haha... I thought they made you before you logged in since it came out... But eh, I don't mind 7, it's not that bad... I don't have the new Beta of 7.5... but from what I've heard it's nothing to go crazy about... The window open notifier is probably my favorite pre-7 feature that doesn't work anymore... Which was very helpful, but I dunno if they could fix that with 7.5 or not.
07-21-2005 02:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
No if you are comfortable with Messenger 6.2...

Only thing I like about Messenger 7 are the animated custom emoticons, if it wasn't for that I'd still be using Messenger 6.2.

quote:
Originally posted by saintgtril
PROS
1. user interface is much cleaner
2. open conversation detector
3. close notificator (thou you can have this on msn 7 too :P)
Those last two things depend on the protocol, whenever one of your contacts with Messenger 7 asks for your DP, you'll see it as if he opened a conversation when he really didn't, so it doesn't matter which Messenger version you have, it's unreliable.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
07-21-2005 02:07 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Yeah... the close notifier doesn't always work with 7... Like you thought it does... It works, but sometimes it tells you they closed when they haven't... So yeah... It can be kind've a burden to have if you constantly bug people about closing their conversation windows.

EDIT: I don't feel like posting another new post... bleh, haha Dunno why... But yeah... Like Lopardo just said about MSN closing it after a time of inactivity... I don't think it's always after the same length of inactivity either... Cause it comes up pretty random for me and it's fairly annoying... But! I guess it probably makes MSN run smoother and all that by having less open connections all the time.

This post was edited on 07-21-2005 at 02:12 AM by qgroessl.
07-21-2005 02:08 AM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
It works, but sometimes it tells you they closed when they haven't...
Yes, now Messenger closes the connection after some time of inactivity...
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
07-21-2005 02:10 AM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
Well, if you feel fine with MSN Messenger 6.2, just stick with it, but I'd suggest you update to 6.2.0208 since it contains a security fix concerning GIF processing vulnerability. :)

This post was edited on 07-21-2005 at 02:11 AM by Mnjul.
07-21-2005 02:11 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
saintgtril

O.P. RE: RE: Who is still using MSN 6.2.0205?
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
quote:
It works, but sometimes it tells you they closed when they haven't...
Yes, now Messenger closes the connection after some time of inactivity...

can share a tip with you on this, to lengthen the session, using type backspace, thou it is rather an hassle, gonna do it per 30 seconds (cos it is estimated that a session closes around 1 minute)
quote:
Hmm... I seemed to have thought they forced you to upgrade to 7... haha... I thought they made you before you logged in since it came out... But eh, I don't mind 7, it's not that bad... I don't have the new Beta of 7.5... but from what I've heard it's nothing to go crazy about... The window open notifier is probably my favorite pre-7 feature that doesn't work anymore... Which was very helpful, but I dunno if they could fix that with 7.5 or not.

tip 2 to share on this, disable your picture display, such that it will be 100% accurate. cheers :D
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Well, if you feel fine with MSN Messenger 6.2, just stick with it, but I'd suggest you update to 6.2.0208 since it contains a security fix concerning GIF processing vulnerability. :)

thanks Mnjul, i didnt know there is a upgrade version of the old msn. hahaha, that means to say, msn is still not forcing 6.2 msners to 'upgrade' to msn 7 :P
07-21-2005 02:12 AM
Poom

Ya-Ha!!!!

33 / Male / –
The close notifier is no longer accurate, same as the open notifier. Users who use msn7 will download your DP automatically, which makes it says that they open a conversation. The close thing is also inaccurate since they changed the protocol. Everytime someone minimizes the con, the connesction closes. This makes it looks like they closed the con.

Also, MSN7 has handwrite, nudge, personal message, and DP in the contact list.

I also like MSN7's interface more. Yes, the ads are annoying, but we can reshack msn using patches. I think excuses for people not to use msn7 is ads and other bloats, because they do not know of patches, which is lame. I recommend you to get msn7 and use a patch to reshack msn. A-patch is a good one.

Get A-Patch
07-21-2005 06:48 AM
saintgtril

O.P. RE: RE: Who is still using MSN 6.2.0205?
quote:
Originally posted by Poom
The close notifier is no longer accurate, same as the open notifier. Users who use msn7 will download your DP automatically, which makes it says that they open a conversation. The close thing is also inaccurate since they changed the protocol. Everytime someone minimizes the con, the connesction closes. This makes it looks like they closed the con.

Also, MSN7 has handwrite, nudge, personal message, and DP in the contact list.

I also like MSN7's interface more. Yes, the ads are annoying, but we can reshack msn using patches. I think excuses for people not to use msn7 is ads and other bloats, because they do not know of patches, which is lame. I recommend you to get msn7 and use a patch to reshack msn. A-patch is a good one.

Get A-Patch

(1) can share a tip with you on this, to lengthen the session, using type backspace, thou it is rather an hassle, gonna do it per 30 seconds (cos it is estimated that a session closes around 1 minute)

(2) tip 2 to share on this, disable your picture display, such that it will be 100% accurate. cheers :D
07-21-2005 07:02 AM
Poom

Ya-Ha!!!!

33 / Male / –
1. It is not that important to type backspace all the time to make the connection stay open. I wouldn't care about that. Still, when your friend minimize the con, it closes the connection whether you use 7.0 or not. This is the protocol, not the version. So, this applies to all version. It is not a reason to choose 6, because it is the same way for both.

2. Disabling DP won't work that much anyway. It is your friend who loads your dp, not you.

I don't understand why people are addicted to the inaccurate open notifier when 7's features are better and the bloats can be removed with the patches. The reasons you gave are not that reasonable too.

This post was edited on 07-22-2005 at 06:20 AM by Poom.
07-22-2005 06:19 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: