What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Plus! tagged as threat by MS Anti-Spyware

Plus! tagged as threat by MS Anti-Spyware
Author: Message:
lawdka0z

O.P. Plus! tagged as threat by MS Anti-Spyware
quote:
The image of Messenger Plus! receives another serious blow today after being red-flagged by Microsoft AntiSpyware.

According to the free malware scanner currently in BETA, the main executable (msgplus.exe) itself has now become a serious threat and will be blocked from running. According to some reports, even explicitly allowing the software to launch sometimes fails. The threat level was only raised in the most recent update for it was previously ignored as being just a moderate risk.

Like Patchou rightfully puts it: "If they were detecting the setup, I could concede that a threat exists, as the user still has the choice to install the sponsor or not. But they are detecting msgplus.exe which does not harm your computer in any way".

To make things even worse for end-users, those who entrust Microsoft AntiSpyware to "Remove" Messenger Plus! are in fact stuck with the actual sponsor program. Who's causing disaster to your system now? And it's not the first time that Microsoft makes doubtful changes to its spyware definitions.

The software developer has contacted the folks at Microsoft personally so I guess all we can do is ignore the warnings and hope that the threat level will be knocked down again soon.

Reported by Mess.be

Now I hope I can share my opinion on this matter without bieng deemed Jelous, or a hater? Because I support Patchou and his application, but Ive always had one particular concern regarding the Adware, and it looks like microsoft does too!

Here is a post I made on MsgShit.com forums
http://forum.msgshit.com/index.php?showtopic=3173...=31399&#entry31399

quote:
GOOD, FINALLY!@#!@#

Patchou needs to face the facts, the only people installing his adware are innocent newbies who dont understand the negative repocussions.

Patchou makes his gains from other men's losses.

Ive done work experience with PC shops, I asked questions, 99% of PC problems are caused by intrusive software installed by seemingly trustworthy applications.

Ive been saying this for years and even took it up with him on the forums, THEY ACTUALLY HAD THE ARROGANCE TO LABEL ME AS JELOUS.

I have nothing against Patchou and do not support MsgShit leaking the plus beta, but Patchou needs to face the facts, If he wants to include harmful software with his Addon, then the package will be treated as harmful software.

Anyone agree? Disagree?
08-15-2005 04:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Plus! tagged as threat by MS Anti-Spyware
This was discussed lots of times... Please search the forums before posting or take a look at the latest posts page.

Check this: MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
08-15-2005 05:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lawdka0z

O.P. RE: Plus! tagged as threat by MS Anti-Spyware
I notice the members of this community are full of criticism for Microsoft, but they lack opinions.
[Image: bla.gif]
08-15-2005 05:38 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lawdka0z
I notice the members of this community are full of criticism for Microsoft, but they lack opinions.
don't go accusing us for lack of opinions. At least we base our opinions on facts...

quote:
Patchou needs to face the facts, the only people installing his adware are innocent newbies who dont understand the negative repocussions.
As I said multiple times before, those "innocent newbies" are not the ones who install the sponsor by accident. It are the "we know everything about PC's so don't tell me how to do anything" people who keep on pressing next>next>next without reading anything...

quote:
Patchou makes his gains from other men's losses.
No he does not! The user has many warnings and needs to EXPLICITLY CHOOSE to install the sponsor, which is btw clearly labelled as SPONSOR! All YOU need to do is stop being lzay and/or thinking you know all and READ a few lines to know WHAT you install.

--------

And I report this thread for being closed, not because of your opinion as you might think, but because there are already multiple threads about this going on atm. Search the forums before posting and stick to the already created threads.

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 11:51 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-15-2005 11:49 AM
lawdka0z

O.P. RE: Plus! tagged as threat by MS Anti-Spyware
Opinions? oh please, thinking something is "gay" is not basing your opinions on facts, its IGNORING the facts and basing your opinion on who you think is the "Bestest"

quote:
people who keep on pressing next>next>next without reading anything...

Contradiction of

quote:
The user has many warnings and needs to EXPLICITLY CHOOSE to install the sponsor

Are we learning yet?

quote:
Opinions? oh please, thinking something is "gay" is not basing your opinions on facts, its IGNORING the facts and basing your opinion on who you think is the "Bestest"

quote:

Contradiction of

quote:
The user... needs to EXPLICITLY CHOOSE to install the sponsor

Are we learning yet?

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 11:56 AM by lawdka0z.
[Image: bla.gif]
08-15-2005 11:55 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Plus! tagged as threat by MS Anti-Spyware
quote:
quote:

Contradiction of

quote:
The user has many warnings and needs to EXPLICITLY CHOOSE to install the sponsor

Are we learning yet?
There is nothing contradicting about it. Is it that hard to understand that those who press next>next>next do NOT read the many warnings???? also, FYI, when I say "next>next>next" I obviously mean it as an example of the kind of people I meant and the way they handle an installer.

With Plus! you can NOT press next>next>next and accidently install the sponsor WITHOUT explicitly choosing an option to install it or not first...

Are YOU learning yet???

---------

Stop this rant/flame war against Plus! And don't think we can't/won't discuss this or don't respect other people's opinions, because we do and we had a lot of civil discussion before with people who thought otherwise than "us". Ther only difference is, they knew what they were talking about also and kept things to the facts without twisting words around...

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 12:03 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-15-2005 12:02 PM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
As said, we don't need many threads about this topic... Closed :)
08-15-2005 12:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: